Foren

How to Contribute a Portlet Plugin to Community

thumbnail
Kzvi Kzvi, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

How to Contribute a Portlet Plugin to Community

Junior Member Beiträge: 30 Beitrittsdatum: 01.02.11 Neueste Beiträge
I have a portlet which can be of some help to others. Not sure how much useful it can be but I would like to contribute it to the community if its of some use. Its developed for 6.0.5 and I am willing to improve it based on community standard and feedback.

Looking for some directions to start with.

I have never contributed to this community before.
thumbnail
Juan Fernández, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

RE: How to Contribute a Portlet Plugin to Community (Antwort)

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1261 Beitrittsdatum: 02.10.08 Neueste Beiträge
Hi Kzvi:
first of all, thanks for your interest in sharing! emoticon

The steps for contributing are described here, in the left column. They are quite easy to follow, but if you have any questions, just post them here.

I recommend you to post a description of the portlet in the forums too, so that community members can give you their oppinion and ideas for future improvements

Thanks!
thumbnail
Kzvi Kzvi, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

RE: How to Contribute a Portlet Plugin to Community

Junior Member Beiträge: 30 Beitrittsdatum: 01.02.11 Neueste Beiträge
@Juan - Thanks for your response. This helps. I am going to create a separate thread with my portlet description to get more inputs and feedback.
thumbnail
Juan Fernández, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

Nice! post the link here so that we can follow the conversation
thumbnail
Juan Fernández, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Hi Kzvi Kzvi! Any updates on your portlet? What is it about? Did you manage to publish it?
Regards!
Danijel Jevtic, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 3 Beitrittsdatum: 02.03.12 Neueste Beiträge
Hi and sorry for just jumping into this thread, but I actually have the same issue regarding sharing a portlet.
Allow me to describe it in a few words:
We are a software development company for eBusiness software, specialized in software for buyer auctions, online RFQs (request for quote) and online tenders and negotiations.
A few weeks ago we have completed our "purchasing portlet" which is a portlet that allows buyers to create online RFQs, tenders and auctions inside liferay and invite registered suppliers to participate (make offers online for prices and product specifications).
The technology which is being used is:
jboss seam 2.2.0, richfaces 3.3.3 and hibernate

If you find this portlet interesting, we would be glad to share the light version of it to the community (RFQs and "English reverse" auctions), however there are still some administrative things we need to take care of first. Can you by any chance tell me, if we are obliged to share the source code, too, or if we can share it as free but closed-source?

An answer would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards!
thumbnail
James Falkner, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1399 Beitrittsdatum: 17.09.10 Neueste Beiträge
Danijel Jevtic:
Hi and sorry for just jumping into this thread, but I actually have the same issue regarding sharing a portlet.
Allow me to describe it in a few words:
We are a software development company for eBusiness software, specialized in software for buyer auctions, online RFQs (request for quote) and online tenders and negotiations.
A few weeks ago we have completed our "purchasing portlet" which is a portlet that allows buyers to create online RFQs, tenders and auctions inside liferay and invite registered suppliers to participate (make offers online for prices and product specifications).
The technology which is being used is:
jboss seam 2.2.0, richfaces 3.3.3 and hibernate

If you find this portlet interesting, we would be glad to share the light version of it to the community (RFQs and "English reverse" auctions), however there are still some administrative things we need to take care of first. Can you by any chance tell me, if we are obliged to share the source code, too, or if we can share it as free but closed-source?

An answer would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards!

Danijel,

That's great to hear you are willing to share your app! You don't have to share your source code if you don't want - of course, this will limit the potential contributions you can expect from our open source community.

Currently, Liferay maintains a plugin repository into which you can upload your plugin. This would make it visible to others both on liferay.com and within the product (via Control Panel). Next month, we are going to open the Liferay Marketplace, which is an evolution (or revolution) of the plugin/addon repository adding many more features and making it much easier to publish, find, and buy apps. Your scenario is the kind of thing the Liferay Marketplace was built for - allowing you to reach the broad Liferay user base with an easy to use online Marketplace for buying and selling software.

So, I would suggest you get your app packaged for Liferay, and upload it to the existing plugin repository. Then you will be ready for the Liferay Marketplace.

Thank you James,
just the answer I was hoping to read.
As I said, we do still have some internal issues, but I hope that we will resolve those quickly.
One small (technical) question remains...
We have noticed that some jar files in our WEB-INF/lib directory are not needed when running liferay on jboss opposed to when they run on e.g. tomcat...
Probably a class loading issue, which our technicians are working on currently...

Do we just upload seperate packages of the app for different application servers (or could you point us to the community-standard-way) ?
thumbnail
James Falkner, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1399 Beitrittsdatum: 17.09.10 Neueste Beiträge
Danijel Jevtic:
Thank you James,
just the answer I was hoping to read.
As I said, we do still have some internal issues, but I hope that we will resolve those quickly.
One small (technical) question remains...
We have noticed that some jar files in our WEB-INF/lib directory are not needed when running liferay on jboss opposed to when they run on e.g. tomcat...
Probably a class loading issue, which our technicians are working on currently...

Do we just upload seperate packages of the app for different application servers (or could you point us to the community-standard-way) ?

I believe the community-standard way is to include all JARs that one might need depending on which app server they intend to run. I've not seen separate plugins that have been built for specific app servers. But if it causes conflicts, then you could upload separate plugins, or just document the steps needed to adapt your plugins to specific app servers. Man, it will be really nice if and when we have true OSGi support!

Once again, thank you very much emoticon
Looking forward to sharing our portlet with the community.

Kind regards,
Danijel