Foren

Migration from Websphere Portal to Liferay Portal

thumbnail
Rahul Mantri, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

Migration from Websphere Portal to Liferay Portal

New Member Beiträge: 10 Beitrittsdatum: 10.02.11 Neueste Beiträge
hi,

We are planning to migrate from Websphere Portal to Liferay Portal.

So can anyone please help me on how to go about it? What are major points which need to be considered?
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

RE: Migration from Websphere Portal to Liferay Portal

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 6403 Beitrittsdatum: 23.09.08 Neueste Beiträge
What do you have to migrate? Custom portlets? What features of Websphere are you using?

You need to determine what features of Websphere you currently use - that includes portlets delivered with Websphere, authentication setups etc.

Also, you need to check your custom-developed additions (e.g. portlets) and how much of IBMs proprietary additions to the standard they are using.

And you need to determine what Liferay features you will use to replace your currently used functionality.

Basically: This question is far too broad to be answered in a simple forum post.
thumbnail
Mika Koivisto, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1519 Beitrittsdatum: 07.08.06 Neueste Beiträge
Olaf mostly listed all points but to summarize:

1. What functionality needs to be migrated? Are they JSR-168 or JSR-286 compatible?
2. Content migration strategy if you are using IBM Workplace Web Content Management?
3. Users
4. Roles and access rights

Point 1 should be fairly simple if you have strictly followed the portlet specification and haven't used any WPS specific features. Point 2 you can make semi automatic if you are familiar with IWWCM Java API and Liferay Web Content API (Journal in code). With WPS you are probably using LDAP for your users so that will be simple just configure Liferay to import users from that LDAP. #4 is mostly manual work but you can at least get the members from LDAP if you are using groups.
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 7942 Beitrittsdatum: 24.03.10 Neueste Beiträge
2. Content migration strategy if you are using IBM Workplace Web Content Management?

Agree, there are many IBM users using iNotes portlet. It may also be worth the cost to replace Notes as well.emoticon
Stefano Artuso, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 2 Beitrittsdatum: 05.03.13 Neueste Beiträge
Hello, I'm new here.

Sorry for exhuming this old thread but I need to migrate a WebSphere Portal to Liferay too.

As you guys says rightfully, first thing to know is what you need to migrate.

In my specific case this is the site that I've to migrate:

http://www.agenziaentrate.gov.it/wps/portal/

What the company needs first of all, is the content of the portal.

My approach was based on trying to see (at database level) what happens on websphere databases after creating any content and trying to understand and creating a mapping between websphere portal and liferay.. but :

- I see totally different organization between this two system
- It's extremely hard to understand portal's property inside the db
- and most of all I've to admit that I'm a real newbie in the world of content management system and I'm doing this type of work as training emoticon

What will you suggest?
Point 2 you can make semi automatic if you are familiar with IWWCM Java API and Liferay Web Content API (Journal in code).

maybe this could help me very much, can you tell me more about it?

Hope that somebody could help me and sorry for my english emoticon
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Liferay API to Web Content portlet can be found below:

http://docs.liferay.com/portal/6.1/javadocs/com/liferay/portlet/journal/service/JournalArticleLocalServiceUtil.html
Stefano Artuso, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 2 Beitrittsdatum: 05.03.13 Neueste Beiträge
Here I am again emoticon

I'm kind stuck on this problem of migrating from Websphere Portal to Liferay.

Now I m working on the content layer: both uses the JSR-170 standard for storing content.

Through an export procedure I got all the content of websphere in a tree structure (got .node files and .value files that are XML files with jcr syntax)

So in these XMLs I got workflows, authoring template, "site", "sites area", images, resources and so on...

Now.. what I want to ask is

> What liferay "stores" in his JCR, through Jackrabbit? Only files such as pictures, pdf, docs... and only those files which the Document Portlet use?
> Where the assets, all articles and other web component are stored? Does Jackrabbit take care of them?
> Could liferay import this XML or I've to use the Session.importXML() or Worskpace.importXML() methods of JCR?

http://docs.liferay.com/portal/6.1/javadocs/com/liferay/portlet/journal/service/JournalArticleLocalServiceUtil.html

thank for replying I'll take a look emoticon (but for now what I got is really too little for use lifray api)
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

We actually used to use Websphere portal and replaced it with liferay. Unfortunately, most of the contents had to be re-created on liferay. It was easier to develop a new portlet with liferay rather than trying to convert Websphere portlets to run on liferay because Websphere adds their own "extra" features as does liferay. :-)
Mukesh khurana, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

New Member Beitrag: 1 Beitrittsdatum: 31.08.15 Neueste Beiträge
Hi Stefano,

Did you get any solution for the Migration of Websphere WCM to Liferay ?

I am doing a feasibility study of how to Migrate my old website based on Websphere WCM to Liferay.

Is this task feasible via automated script ? Or the best approach is via manual creation of content.

This will save my tons of effort.

Thanks
Mukesh

Stefano Artuso:
Here I am again emoticon

I'm kind stuck on this problem of migrating from Websphere Portal to Liferay.

Now I m working on the content layer: both uses the JSR-170 standard for storing content.

Through an export procedure I got all the content of websphere in a tree structure (got .node files and .value files that are XML files with jcr syntax)

So in these XMLs I got workflows, authoring template, "site", "sites area", images, resources and so on...

Now.. what I want to ask is

> What liferay "stores" in his JCR, through Jackrabbit? Only files such as pictures, pdf, docs... and only those files which the Document Portlet use?
> Where the assets, all articles and other web component are stored? Does Jackrabbit take care of them?
> Could liferay import this XML or I've to use the Session.importXML() or Worskpace.importXML() methods of JCR?

thank for replying I'll take a look emoticon (but for now what I got is really too little for use lifray api)