Foren

EE server adapters for Liferay IDE

Robert Baldock, geändert vor 7 Jahren.

EE server adapters for Liferay IDE

New Member Beiträge: 9 Beitrittsdatum: 10.10.11 Neueste Beiträge
Is it possible to download EE server adapters for use with the Liferay IDE Eclipse extension? The only runtime options I see when trying to configure a new Liferay runtime locally are CE servers. Specifically, I'm looking for a 6.1 EE server adapter.

Robert
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, geändert vor 7 Jahren.

RE: EE server adapters for Liferay IDE

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 6396 Beitrittsdatum: 23.09.08 Neueste Beiträge
Robert Baldock:
Is it possible to download EE server adapters for use with the Liferay IDE Eclipse extension? The only runtime options I see when trying to configure a new Liferay runtime locally are CE servers. Specifically, I'm looking for a 6.1 EE server adapter.

The answer is two-fold. These adapters exist, but they're called "Developer Studio", which is the offering that comes together with Liferay Enterprise Edition. You'll need an EE subscription and can download it from the customer portal.

Olaf -

Thanks for that. I had a feeling that would be the case. Thanks for confirming.

Robert

Olaf -

I've installed Developer Studio and when starting it for the first time I am asked to configure a Liferay EE runtime.

However, when I try to point it at an instance of Liferay 6.1 EE, I get an error:

Portal version not supported. Need at least 6.2.10

How do I set up Developer Studio to work with 6.1 EE?

Robert

I should say that it seems to work OK if I skip the first start-up wizard and configure the SDK and runtime once the application has started. It would be good if that wizard could be fixed though.

Robert
thumbnail
Yanan Yuan, geändert vor 7 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 89 Beitrittsdatum: 08.10.11 Neueste Beiträge
Hello Robert,

For Studio 2.2.2 ga3 or lower version, every studio has its own bundled portal EE, which is in "liferay-developer-studio/DeveloperStudio/resources/" folder.

Once you finish the first launch wizard, it will configure the EE plugins sdk and portal tomcat automatically. If that isn't the EE server you want, then just skip the first wizard.emoticon

Best regards.
thumbnail
Daniel Tyger, geändert vor 6 Jahren.

Regular Member Beiträge: 105 Beitrittsdatum: 06.02.13 Neueste Beiträge
Yanan Yuan:

Once you finish the first launch wizard, it will configure the EE plugins sdk and portal tomcat automatically. If that isn't the EE server you want, then just skip the first wizard.emoticon

I am experiencing the "first launch wizard" is coming up every time I open studio. This is annoying. I agree with previous poster, we need to have a way to STOP the first launch wizard from popping up and erroring when we have taken the time to bypass the outdated version in the big package and point studio to recent bundles, plugins, etc.

**How do we turn off / stop the first launch wizard from slowing down our startups...?
thumbnail
Andy Wu, geändert vor 6 Jahren.

Regular Member Beiträge: 195 Beitrittsdatum: 05.05.15 Neueste Beiträge
hey Daniel . what is the version of Studio you are using ?
thumbnail

Version: 2.2.2.201504240205-ga3

Further - even after I set a workspace I want to use and choose the checkbox and text "Use this default and don't ask again..." option, each time it opens, it *still* wants to open its own workspace folder path... screen shots attached...

Brand new MacbookPro I'm setting up...
thumbnail
Gregory Amerson, geändert vor 6 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1123 Beitrittsdatum: 16.02.10 Neueste Beiträge
Hey Daniel,

We just released Liferay Developer Studio 3.1 Beta1 and could you please try this one to see if it works? We made some changes to the installer and I would be interested to see if it works better for you.

https://web.liferay.com/group/customer/dxp/downloads/developer-tools
thumbnail

Hi Greg - Thanks much for replying...

The problem there is that we don't have an active DXP license yet, so I can't even access that page, etc.

However, we are EE customers (actively) and I have access to all other EE software. But none of the available 2.2.2 Dev Studio products are installing for me properly... The new Dev Studio is supposed to work for 6.2EE (which we are currently running), so it is a quandry...

I'm fully functional on my old laptop running OS 10.9.5, where I was able to get the older Dev studio to manage all of our maven and Liferay plugins... just can't get those packages to work, either.

I *have* managed to get a neon.3 j2ee eclipse up and running and add in the Liferay IDE, but none of the EE server adapters are available, etc... and missing some of the advantages of Dev Studio...but I had to do them separately and not use the bundle on the

Curious what you would advise at this point...
thumbnail

The new Liferay IDE 3.1 Beta1 has most of all the same features of DevStudio has in past releases (namely Kaleo). There is no need for separate 'EE' server adapters, you can just use the 'CE' varieties as the backends are the same. ANd with new 'DXP' servers we dropped the distinction and everything is just 'Liferay 7.x' in the IDE.

So in short you can use Liferay IDE 3.1 Beta1 and use the 6.2 CE Servers and everything should 'just work' Please let us know if you have issues.
thumbnail

I'll give that all a go and see if I can get up and running.

One thing I also noticed is that setting up projects in the newer IDE seemed to throw a lot more errors on java and jsp files than in my existing environment. Upon closer inspection, I started noticing that some of the dependency .jars that were available under the old projects are missing in the new project setups and I have to add dependency .jars to the build path to get the errors to go away...

Is this because the new IDE is basically deprecating the the old 6.2 .jars from the new IDE project dependency listings? I would posit that this makes the new IDE somewhat *incompatible* with old 6.2EE projects...do you agree?

We aren't quite ready to upgrade yet to DXP and wanted to be able to just continue developing against 6.2 as we upgrade laptops...without going through every project and manually adding back .jars that were available by default in 6.2 projects...

Again - I *really* appreciate you responding. -daniel
thumbnail

Gregory Amerson:
The new Liferay IDE 3.1 Beta1 has most of all the same features of DevStudio has in past releases (namely Kaleo). There is no need for separate 'EE' server adapters, you can just use the 'CE' varieties as the backends are the same. ANd with new 'DXP' servers we dropped the distinction and everything is just 'Liferay 7.x' in the IDE.

So in short you can use Liferay IDE 3.1 Beta1 and use the 6.2 CE Servers and everything should 'just work' Please let us know if you have issues.

This is the answer at this time that got me on the path toward productivity again on OS Sierra. Thank you, kindly. (I'm not sure who is allowed to mark something an answer...)

I installed neon.3 jee eclipse for Mac.
I also brought down the SP19 EE Developer packages from Customer Portal
Next bring in the latest Liferay IDE, as Greg suggested via URL worked fine under "Add New Software..."
Set up a server using Liferay 6.2 CE but just pointed at the right stuff
Set up Liferay SDK etc...
Back on track. And - Greg - a lot of the .jsp and legacy import etc errors I was seeing through my earlier attempts at getting Dev Studio 2.2.2 going disappeared. When I imported all our old projects into this (different / new) setup, the missing dependencies were this time in the project resources post importing them, so you can disregard my earlier post about that, though it may be helpful if you guys have any intentions of forward porting that old 2.2.2 Dev Studio pkg to install properly for newer Mac OS users...

Worth noting also, having set up jdk 1.8 only on the new Sierra Mac my first few builds reminded me of some of our projects having a 1.7jdk target so - others in our position may need to also maintain multiple jdks to match up older projects.

Gratefully, -daniel
thumbnail

Glad to hear it Daniel. Thanks for following up and letting us know. Please post back here if you have any issues or raise a customer support ticket (but posting things here helps the community! emoticon