Foren

Cannot request for 'so' group membership

Peter Remec, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

Cannot request for 'so' group membership

New Member Beiträge: 20 Beitrittsdatum: 15.12.15 Neueste Beiträge
I have two portal users: one with 'Administrator' role and the other with 'User' role. I've created a (restricted) Social Office group with admin user and I would like to send a membership request with a regular user. And here is the problem: signed in as a regular user, I can't even click on a group in a 'Go to' list of sites. I can get to the site link through admin user (creator of the group), but when I click on it, page is not found:

The requested resource was not found. http://localhost:8080/group/group_name/home

I tried to assign all possible permissions to 'User' role for 'home' page, but the page is still 'not found'. If I assign 'Administrator' role to a regular user, home page is found, but of course I cannot give admin role to all users just to be able to get to the group.

I find it very strange that a regular user can't request for a membership since the group is restricted. Any idea why is a group link not clickable in a 'Go to' list?

EDIT: Social Office group, mentioned above, was created as 'Private restricted site'. I guess that explains an inactive site link in 'Go to' list (I created another site which was 'public restricted' and the link worked). I read about the differences between private and public restricted site but I couldn't find any private restricted site use case. What is a private restricted page used for?
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

RE: Cannot request for 'so' group membership

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 14914 Beitrittsdatum: 02.09.06 Neueste Beiträge
private restricted site means that a) it is invisible to outsiders and b) restricted from joining the site.

There are many viable use cases for this, i.e. you're a business and you want a private restricted site per client so they can have a branded area for their employees. You don't want other clients to have visibility to them, you don't want just anyone to become a member, ...

David H Nebinger:
private restricted site means that a) it is invisible to outsiders and b) restricted from joining the site.

There are many viable use cases for this, i.e. you're a business and you want a private restricted site per client so they can have a branded area for their employees. You don't want other clients to have visibility to them, you don't want just anyone to become a member, ...

Ok, that makes perfect sense, thanks. But what about this scenario: I create a private restricted site to share some info between certain group of users. Those users should somehow send membership request, right? How can they do that if a site is private? As I mentioned before, I created private restricted site that is visible in a 'Go to' list, but user cannot click on a link , therefore membership request cannot be sent...
thumbnail

Restricted sites means you're managing membership, it is not by request.

David H Nebinger:
Restricted sites means you're managing membership, it is not by request.

Ok, now I'm really confused emoticon

The doc says:

Open: The site is listed, pages are public and users are free to join and collaborate.
Public Restricted: The site is listed, pages are public but users must request to join and collaborate.
Private Restricted: The site is listed, pages are private and users must request to join and collaborate.
Private: The site is unlisted (it’s invisible to non-members), pages are private, and users must be invited to join and collaborate.

Are you saying that the only difference is that the 'private restricted' site is listed and 'private' is not?
thumbnail

Sorry, as you pointed out the difference is whether it shows up to request joining. If it is restricted, you can see it in the site directory but otherwise you cannot.

If it is in the directory, you can request to join, but if you don't show a directory then the effect is that the site is just private because, as a user, you wouldn't have an opportunity to join.

David H Nebinger:
Sorry, as you pointed out the difference is whether it shows up to request joining. If it is restricted, you can see it in the site directory but otherwise you cannot.

If it is in the directory, you can request to join, but if you don't show a directory then the effect is that the site is just private because, as a user, you wouldn't have an opportunity to join.

I think I understand now. Thanks for your explanation!