Foren

Adding Application

Dan Raz, geändert vor 15 Jahren.

Adding Application

New Member Beiträge: 8 Beitrittsdatum: 03.04.08 Neueste Beiträge
Hi,
I've been trying to find documentation for the following question, but was unable to find anything in the forums, wiki, or the pdf manuals.

I would like to deploy applications/plugin's (not sure what the difference it), but also have a bit more control than I see I currently have. When I add a plugin through the plugin interface installer, Liferay only asks me for a WAR file. Then I automatically see the plugin in the list of Applications when I select "Add Application" from the drop down menu on the top right. The JSP portlet (plug in) I have uploaded as a WAR appears under the "undefined" section of the Application list.

I need to be able to do the following things:
1) Be able to categorize the plugin in the Application list (and not have it as "undefined"). Ie, there are predefined categories (Admin, CMS, etc), but I'd like to create my own.
2) Be able to control what kinds of users see what applications/plugins in that application list. If I, for example, create a category named "Dan" (instead of "undefined"), I would need to restrict some users to not see that there is a category named "Dan," and other users to see that "Dan" as a category exists, but only see some applications that are allowed for them to use.

In short, I do not see an interface that allows one to do the aforementioned tasks. Could anybody point me to documentation/other info on these matters?

Also, I've looked at
portlet-custom.xml
liferay-portlet.xml and
liferay-display.xml

I think those files contain all the info I need to modify/add applications. My concern in modifying these files directly is that there is a DB component that I am not aware of that is linked to these files and the whole portal is going to crash. Also, I'd like to stick to GUI/API that the portal framework comes with to avoid problems when Liferay comes out with a new version..

Any insight?

Thanks,
Dan
venka reddy, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

RE: Adding Application

Regular Member Beiträge: 231 Beitrittsdatum: 23.03.11 Neueste Beiträge
Hi,

Would you got the solution for it?

Interesting to know
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 14913 Beitrittsdatum: 02.09.06 Neueste Beiträge
The category is determined in liferay-display.xml. If there is no file there, it will go into the Undetermined category.

Roles are defined in the portlet.xml and liferay-portlet.xml. Usually portlets have all privileges, removing unnecessary and adding specific roles will allow you to determine who will see it in the add dialog.
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 7942 Beitrittsdatum: 24.03.10 Neueste Beiträge
Settings David mentioned are covered in the book "Liferay in Action".

Example: page 58, "2.6.1 Changing the protlet's category and name"
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 14913 Beitrittsdatum: 02.09.06 Neueste Beiträge
Hitoshi, are you getting kickbacks promoting that book? emoticon

It is certainly a great reference that all newbies should get, unfortunately most seem to want to come to the forum first and read later...

I'm still trying to get through Jonas' new book, but finding the extra cycles for that has proven challenging as of late...
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 7942 Beitrittsdatum: 24.03.10 Neueste Beiträge
It's a great introducy book and deserves credit. I'm promoting it because it may motivates people to write more books - in the end, I'll benefit from that too.