Foren

Liferay Screens with Xcode 7.1.1 (OS X 10.11.1 El Capitán)

thumbnail
Borxa Varela Bouzas, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

Liferay Screens with Xcode 7.1.1 (OS X 10.11.1 El Capitán)

Junior Member Beiträge: 69 Beitrittsdatum: 26.12.06 Neueste Beiträge
Hello,

I installed OS X 10.11 "El Capitán" on my mac (formatting the hard disk), and now it comes with Xcode version 7.1.1 witch do not appear to be compatible (Swift2) with Liferay Screens and its dependencies.

What would be the best way to achieve development in Xcode 7.1.1? Installing SDK from previous version? Allow to Xcode "correct" the code? ... or install Xcode 6.4, is the only solution? Does anyone has done on OSX 10.11?
thumbnail
Jose M. Navarro, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

RE: Liferay Screens with Xcode 7.1.1 (OS X 10.11.1 El Capitán)

Regular Member Beiträge: 138 Beitrittsdatum: 24.01.14 Neueste Beiträge
Borxa Varela Bouzas:
Hello,

I installed OS X 10.11 "El Capitán" on my mac (formatting the hard disk), and now it comes with Xcode version 7.1.1 witch do not appear to be compatible (Swift2) with Liferay Screens and its dependencies.

What would be the best way to achieve development in Xcode 7.1.1? Installing SDK from previous version? Allow to Xcode "correct" the code? ... or install Xcode 6.4, is the only solution? Does anyone has done on OSX 10.11?

Screens 1.2 only works with Xcode 6.4.x.
We're working on the port to Swift 2 and Xcode 7, you can stay in touch in this links:

We'll release a new version as soon as these changes are ready

Regards!
thumbnail
Javier Gamarra, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

Expert Beiträge: 348 Beitrittsdatum: 12.02.15 Neueste Beiträge
Meanwhile you can install Xcode 6.4 (you can have both versions) and use it until the new version is released emoticon
thumbnail
James Falkner, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1399 Beitrittsdatum: 17.09.10 Neueste Beiträge
Javier Gamarra:
Meanwhile you can install Xcode 6.4 (you can have both versions) and use it until the new version is released emoticon

BTW to save anyone time:

1. Download Xcode 6.4
2. Open the DMG
3. Drag the .app file to some temporary place
4. Rename it from Xcode.app to something like Xcode-6.app
5. Drop it in /Applications alongside any existing Xcode.app
6. Run xcode-select -s /Applications/Xcode-6.app/Contents/Developer if you use the Xcode command line tools.
7. Enjoy Screens with multiple Xcode versions!
thumbnail
Borxa Varela Bouzas, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 69 Beitrittsdatum: 26.12.06 Neueste Beiträge
I tried lighter methods but none worked. I followed these steps and everything worked fine for me. Thanks!
Johannes Schultze, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 6 Beitrittsdatum: 04.01.16 Neueste Beiträge
Hello!

I just wanted to ask, if there's already a release-date set for version 1.3.0 of Liferay Screens? I also need the changes for support of Swift2, and on this site:
https://issues.liferay.com/projects/LSR/versions/21819
it seems that all issues are completed by now.

Another question: I'm using a pod-file to use Liferay Screens. That way, after the release, I should get the newest version when running "pod update", right?

Thanks!
thumbnail

Hi!

Liferay Screens 1.3 (with Xcode 7.x and Swift 2 support) is being tested right now, so it will be released during these days (during this week or maybe the next one).

You'll only need to update with "pod update" or "pod install", however if you're using Swift, your app's code may need to be migrated to Swift 2

Regards!

Hi!

Thanks for the info! I'm just starting with a new project, so I won't have to do any migration in my code. My "problem" at the moment is, that I want to start, but 1.3.0 ist missing emoticon I tried the workaround with using Xcode 6.4 - but that does not work very well for me.

Regards!
thumbnail

Hey!

You can use the 1.3 version right now. Instead of use the public pod, use the pod from the develop branch, like this:

pod 'LiferayScreens', :git => 'https://github.com/liferay/liferay-screens', :branch => 'develop'

You will be using the 1.3 code and you'll be able to upgrade quickly when the release is published.

Let us know if you have any problem

Hello!

I was just changing back to Xcode 7 to try a manual installation of Screens with a download from the develop branch. I had to update some other pods, and stumbled upon this method to include a certain branch in one of their github howtos. I changed it to exactly the line of code you posted - works perfectly! I only should have come back to this page earlier - that would have saved me some time, but at least it was spend well learning how to use pods ... emoticon

By now I'm working on my own screenlet. Until now, I've only been working with Objective C, and have to admit that Swift feels quite new to me. I should use this project as a first step to get to know swift, but as we are on a tight schedule: can I write my own screenlets with Objective C, or would that lead to more problems than trying to switch to Swift?

Thanks!!
thumbnail

Johannes Schultze:
Hello!

I was just changing back to Xcode 7 to try a manual installation of Screens with a download from the develop branch. I had to update some other pods, and stumbled upon this method to include a certain branch in one of their github howtos. I changed it to exactly the line of code you posted - works perfectly! I only should have come back to this page earlier - that would have saved me some time, but at least it was spend well learning how to use pods ... emoticon

I'm glad to be helpful. Don't hesitate to answer your questions here

Johannes Schultze:
By now I'm working on my own screenlet. Until now, I've only been working with Objective C, and have to admit that Swift feels quite new to me. I should use this project as a first step to get to know swift, but as we are on a tight schedule: can I write my own screenlets with Objective C, or would that lead to more problems than trying to switch to Swift?

According to Apple's documentation:
you can’t subclass Swift classes in Objective-C
(reference)

So unfortunately you can't write your screenlet using Objective-C. Probably next versions of Objective-C will support it, but it's not clear whether if will happen and when.

So you need to learn Swift to write your screenlets. It's a good experience though!

Jose M. Navarro:

So unfortunately you can't write your screenlet using Objective-C. Probably next versions of Objective-C will support it, but it's not clear whether if will happen and when.

So you need to learn Swift to write your screenlets. It's a good experience though!

Ah... at least that's decided then ... emoticon