Foren

Roles: Organization Administrator and Organization Owner

thumbnail
Rolando Lopes Isidoro, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

Roles: Organization Administrator and Organization Owner

New Member Beiträge: 13 Beitrittsdatum: 21.10.10 Neueste Beiträge
Hi,

I'm using Liferay Portal 6.0.5 and I'm having some problems regarding Roles and Permissions. I've deployed a clean installation and added the following simple organizational structure:

Main organization
|- Child organization 1
|- Child organization 2

I then created 2 users which I want to be able to delegate each child organization administration to. So I proceeded by assigning each one with the Organization Administrator role.

To my surprise, when I logged in with each one of these users' credentials, their Control Panel only showed a minimal set of options, as shown in the attached image.

Going into the Users section of the Control Panel, the Organization Administrator isn't allowed to add new users, only deactivate the existing ones.

In the Organizations section, the only thing shown is a notification stating that "No organizations were found.", no additional options for adding new child organizations where present.

I then tested the some things with the Organization Owner role but the result was the same.

I've searched the documentation, wiki and forums looking for some clue but I hit a wall here. Can someone tell me if this is the expected behavior and if so how can I assign administrative permissions to a given user on an Organization that he's part of?

Thanks in advance,
Rolando Isidoro
thumbnail
Simon Gołębiewski, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

RE: Roles: Organization Administrator and Organization Owner

Regular Member Beiträge: 246 Beitrittsdatum: 08.06.09 Neueste Beiträge
As an Administrator you can assign proper permissions to each role. When you do that you can select scope for every permission for example: add users in scope "Liferay Inc."

Tell my if it helped you.
thumbnail

Hi Simon,

Simon Gołębiewski:
As an Administrator you can assign proper permissions to each role.

When you say Administrator you mean the Portal Administrator, right? That I now, but as an Organization Administrator I wasn't able to do any of that.

Simon Gołębiewski:
When you do that you can select scope for every permission for example: add users in scope "Liferay Inc."

I did that, I added the users with the Role Organization Administrator and Organization Owner to each of my 2nd level organizations, but the result was the one shown in the image from my previous post. The only options available when I logged in with any of those users didn't allow me to perform any administrative tasks on the given organization.

Afterwards I created a new Organization Role and defined a huge set of permissions, but even so no additional options showed up.

Simon Gołębiewski:
Tell my if it helped you.

I appreciate you quick reply, but it didn't really help much. Have you ever used the Organization Administrator or Organization Owner roles in any of your Liferay setups? Were users with those roles set able to perform administrative organization tasks?

Thanks once again, best regards,
Rolando Isidoro
thumbnail

Rolando,

I've played a little bit more with permissions and this is what I get.
1. I've added new organization "name B" that is a child of organization "name A"
2. I've created a new user "hiena"
3. I've assigned user "hiena" to organization "name B"
4. I've added this user roles "Organization owner" and "organization administrator"
5. I've logged into system as user "hiena" - first what I've saw is that menu in Control Panel looks like on you picture. (attachement no.1)
6....but then I saw that I was still in "name A" scope
7. I've changed scope and voila - I saw more options in Control Panel
8. As you said in first post I could not add new users or new organizations so I'v logged as administrator of portal and added new user Role (type=regular) "Organization adder".
9. I've defined perrmision portal->general->add users and portal->general->add organizations
10. I've assigned user "hiena" to that role and now I can add users and organizations in "name B".

Is that what you wanted?
thumbnail

Simon Gołębiewski:
Rolando,

Is that what you wanted?

Hey Simon,

that is exactly what I want. I've done everything as you did until step 5, but after that I'm blocked since I'm not able to change the scope I'm in.

As Portal Administrator I have four blocks on the left side menu at the Control Panel:
  • User
  • Organization
  • Portal
  • Server
Changing scope with that user is as easy as clicking on the title of the Organization block, a drop-down shows up with every possible Organization and I only have to choose one, no problem there.

As Organization Owner + Administrator my left side menu just shows two blocks:
  • User
  • Portal
Since there's no Organization block I'm not able to change the scope.

Strange fact: if I click the Organizations entry on the Portal block, the grid is empty with the following message "No organizations were found.". I guess the entries with the Organizations assigned to the user should be listed, do you have any idea why that might be happening?

Thanks in advance, best regards,
Rolando Isidoro
thumbnail
Ron Bense, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

Regular Member Beiträge: 117 Beitrittsdatum: 23.08.07 Neueste Beiträge
You say that you are a member of an organization. You did not mention whether your Administrator user can see organizations when you click on the Portal -> Organizations, or at least not whether the organizations of interest show up.

If not, the first thing I would do is make sure my search indexes are refreshed (Control Panel (Server) -> Server Settings and click Reindex all search indexes. After this, if all your settings are correct, you should at least see some organizations under Portal at this point.
thumbnail

Ron Bense:
You say that you are a member of an organization. You did not mention whether your Administrator user can see organizations when you click on the Portal -> Organizations, or at least not whether the organizations of interest show up.
Hi Ron, I mentioned in my latest post that when I click on Portal -> Organizations no entries shows up, the grid is empty.

Ron Bense:
If not, the first thing I would do is make sure my search indexes are refreshed (Control Panel (Server) -> Server Settings and click Reindex all search indexes. After this, if all your settings are correct, you should at least see some organizations under Portal at this point.
I followed your advice and clicked the Reindex all search indexes option at Server -> Server Administration, but all remained the same.

Any more thoughts on this? Thanks, regards,
Rolando Isidoro
thumbnail

Rolando Lopes Isidoro:
Since there's no Organization block I'm not able to change the scope.

Can't you change scope at the place showed in my attachement? Are you sure you are using 6.0.5 ?
thumbnail

Simon Gołębiewski:
Can't you change scope at the place showed in my attachement? Are you sure you are using 6.0.5 ?

Hey Simon,

that's right, I can't change the scope as shown in the image you attached, because the only blocks available when I login with that user are the ones present in the picture I attached in the 1st post.

I'm using version 6.0.5. This unexpected behavior is driving me a little nuts, since both me and my colleague that is also testing Liferay are getting the same result with this feature. I think I'm reaching the point where I'll have to deploy a new Liferay setup and try it from scratch.

Thanks for all your input, best regards,
Rolando Isidoro
Alexander Zavodnikov, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

New Member Beitrag: 1 Beitrittsdatum: 27.09.10 Neueste Beiträge
Hi Rolando.

I faced exactly the same problem.
Was you any successful to solve this?

Best regards,
Alexander
thumbnail

Hi Alexander,

Alexander Zavodnikov:
I faced exactly the same problem.
Was you any successful to solve this?

Unfortunately I wasn't able to overcome that problem, sure hope you have better luck than I did.

Rolando
thumbnail
Anass Ghaylani, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 6 Beitrittsdatum: 18.12.10 Neueste Beiträge
hi every body
in your shotscreen in the first post ,try to look for ur organization with an Organization Owner user

try the advanced searche with the the option any
and type in the field name the propre name off the organization namea or nameb
u will find the organisation and the action allow to the user

Hope it Can Help
Vinay J, geändert vor 7 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 9 Beitrittsdatum: 23.11.16 Neueste Beiträge
I am also facing the same issue. I have created org and added 3 users under that. Out of 3 users one user i have made as org administrator. When org admin log in i am not able to see admin tab it self. How to enable Admin tab for Org admin?
Also any specific roles need to be added to see only users under that org to which he belongs to?