Foren

Ability to generate .zip files on client side

thumbnail
Muniraj saravanan, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

Ability to generate .zip files on client side

Junior Member Beiträge: 95 Beitrittsdatum: 01.06.11 Neueste Beiträge
Hi,

Please share , if anyone did generation of .zip files on the client side using and javascript library . I tried JSZip (https://stuk.github.io/jszip/)utility , but does not work in liferay

thanks
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

RE: Ability to generate .zip files on client side

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 6400 Beitrittsdatum: 23.09.08 Neueste Beiträge
I've never heard of client-side zipfile generation in the context of web applications, i.e. running in the browser. You can certainly (and obviously) run it on a JS shellscript. I'd say: Use Multi-File uploads (e.g. upload many files to the server), utilize gzip on transit for compression and create a zip file on the server. That's as close as it gets.

I'd love to be corrected though
thumbnail
Muniraj saravanan, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 95 Beitrittsdatum: 01.06.11 Neueste Beiträge
To Explain more , I have requirements , if there a event say a board meeting and it is build as web content ,which displays say file1 ,file2 .

1) users able to click the individual file, the particular file gets download -- this will works by uploading a file in document library and put the link in the WC
2) There should be a common link down the page , if user clicks that, all the files should be download as single .zip file.

JSZip (http://stuk.github.io/jszip//) works some extent , Right now i found IE is not supporting it

thanks
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 14915 Beitrittsdatum: 02.09.06 Neueste Beiträge
What an <strong adjective indicating really bad> concept.

You're going to stream everything uncompressed from the server so you can zip it in the browser. What <offensive adjective+noun representing a truly clueless person> came up with this idea?
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 14915 Beitrittsdatum: 02.09.06 Neueste Beiträge
David H Nebinger:
What an <strong adjective indicating really bad> concept.

You're going to stream everything uncompressed from the server so you can zip it in the browser. What <offensive adjective+noun representing a truly clueless person> came up with this idea?

Okay, apparently the unedited version of this reply ruffled some feathers. If I offended, then I apologize for that.

However, if I left you believing this was a truly bad idea, one that should never be considered and was really ridiculous and representative of the worst possible idea that you could implement on the net, well that was my only intent.

As everyone on the forum here knows, I aim to help everyone and strive to promote the community. This idea, however, was so beyond the pale in regards to how utterly bad it was that I just couldn't control myself.

Hopefully the edited response will leave you with the same impression (that it is a truly bad idea) without offending at the same time.
thumbnail
Jack Bakker, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

Liferay Master Beiträge: 978 Beitrittsdatum: 03.01.10 Neueste Beiträge
collecting file together, compressing server side for delivery to browser is attractive

I lost the root thread need on this somewhere...