Foren

Liferay Community Documentation Cleanup Part II - JOIN IN! :)

thumbnail
Samuel Liu, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

Liferay Community Documentation Cleanup Part II - JOIN IN! :)

Expert Beiträge: 301 Beitrittsdatum: 27.05.10 Neueste Beiträge
Status Update
------------------

Hi all. We have been doing a huge job moving all the articles to the right categories. A lot of old articles pertaining to 4.3 or below have been moved under "legacy" categories. So the information is still there, but by and large people don't use those versions so it will help to keep the unimportant information away. So far we are roughly 1/2 way there. Us two guys working on it (Sam and Jon) started out with *twelve printed pages* -- the list of all articles in the wiki. We each have less than three sheets to go (so we started with six to begin with, each).

However! Despite having deleted over 100 bad articles, editing countless more, and tagging along the way, we've run into a roadblock. JSPWiki, the wiki engine that we currently hook into, has bugs that aren't Liferay bugs (so basically it's our dependency on a third-party engine/library). These aren't super-serious, but they're bugs nonetheless.

E.g. If you make a wiki page with pre tags and any kind of URL inside:
{{{http://google.com}}}

That will show up on the page as [http://google.com], with unwanted brackets. It's super misleading if a guide has
{{{some.portal.property=http://google.com}}}

...and it shows up as
some.portal.property=[http://google.com]

to some user who copies and pastes that!

There's also a permissions problem when a page is renamed (the redirect page by default isn't viewable by guests), and just other little things.

We've traced the root of the problem to JSPWiki's CreoleFilter. It lets you use the wiki syntax Creole -- however we've convinced the right people to let us write something that hooks into the highly-active open-source JAMWiki. That way, instead of Creole (while we will still let people use it), we will simultaneously begin a switch toward MediaWiki syntax. That is, the syntax of Wikipedia.

The work just got harder, but we will be doing our best to improve the wiki for you all.

What we would like from everyone who wants to help:
  • Continue helping us improve the documentation, via this thread
  • Give us some input on Creole, MediaWiki, and the Wiki functionality in general

We would appreciate a lot of replies on this thread in terms of whether you think we're taking the right direction with our wiki. Right now, we are planning to eventually support JSPWiki in parallel with JAMWiki's engine, so that people can use MediaWiki syntax. We are also solving the little bugs, and improving the documentation quality in general.

In fact, if you could, let us know if you would prefer creole or mediawiki syntax. That way we can kind of gauge if people like one more than the other.

Thanks for being part of our community emoticon

Warm regards,
Sam and Jon at Liferay
thumbnail
Tobias S. Käfer, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

RE: Liferay Community Documentation Cleanup Part II - JOIN IN! :)

Regular Member Beiträge: 128 Beitrittsdatum: 28.03.08 Neueste Beiträge
Hi Sam!

Nice work! I appreciate this.
Let's have a talk about JAMWiki:
We are using JAMWiki for quite a while now. And did some contributions to the wiki (Acegi support, OpenSearch etc.).
I think JAMWiki is a nice Wiki-Engine. It has the features needed for a modern Wiki:
  • editing in sections
  • a common syntax
  • an "editor ui" to support users for bold and cursive text and other thing

On the other hand the Liferay ui ist missing a least the "editor ui" and the editing in sections.
Both - JSPWiki and JAMWiki - do have those features.

So I would love to see those features.

Thanks for asking emoticon and keep up with those things.
As I said yesterday in other threads, I like how the things are developing with issues, the community and the input/contributions from us.

Cheers
Tobias
thumbnail
Samuel Liu, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

Expert Beiträge: 301 Beitrittsdatum: 27.05.10 Neueste Beiträge
Thanks Tobias! Yup trying real hard, thanks for the encouragement!

Currently we think that the right way to go is to implement JAMWiki's engine for mediawiki syntax support (also because JSPWiki has weird bugs). We'll maintain the JAMWiki one for people who still want Creole despite the bugs though.

In-section editing and an editing UI are good ideas! Me and Jon had noted that at least once when going through our work.

We will take one step at a time and get things currently on the plate done as much as possible -- so those features will probably have to come after we finish the JAMWiki thing (which in and of itself will take a lot of time).

Duly noted though! emoticon We are doing our best to meet user needs (and those features both definitely seem like they would help users and our own documentation).

Warm regards,
Sam
thumbnail
Tobias S. Käfer, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

Regular Member Beiträge: 128 Beitrittsdatum: 28.03.08 Neueste Beiträge
I would love to see JAMWiki as an engine for the portal wiki.
When will this be available? With the next release? When will this be?

Do you have any schedule for in-section editing and an (simple) editing UI?
I have a tip for the an (simple) editing UI, have a look at the feature that is used in JAMWiki. Maybe you can change this to be used in LR.
I already did this (it is not tooo hard to do), but I have to get a clearence from my CTO for releasing this. And my version still uses jQuery instead of AUI.