Foren

Migrating data from Liferay CE GA2 to Liferay 6 EE

thumbnail
unai unai, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

Migrating data from Liferay CE GA2 to Liferay 6 EE

New Member Beiträge: 15 Beitrittsdatum: 07.06.10 Neueste Beiträge
Hi,

I would like to know how difficult could be in the future to migrate a portal from Liferay 6.0.4 CE to the future Liferay 6 EE. There would be a kind o script?

Regards,

Unai
thumbnail
Denis Signoretto, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

RE: Migrating data from Liferay CE GA2 to Liferay 6 EE

Expert Beiträge: 375 Beitrittsdatum: 21.04.09 Neueste Beiträge
It would be interesting understanding migration strategy, in general
from any CE version to EE.

This is a question for Liferay Staff. Is there any Wiki page describing migration strategy?

Thanks.
thumbnail
Samuel Liu, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

Expert Beiträge: 301 Beitrittsdatum: 27.05.10 Neueste Beiträge
Hi all,

Unless you've made custom modifications to your CE, upgrading to EE should be very easy. We test the upgrade process for the database, and it's simply a matter of overwriting your old bundle with the new, EE bundle.

There isn't really a manual but we could write a wiki page...it'd basically say the same thing. Delete the old bundle, create your new bundle, restore portal.properties, point it to database and the data auto-upgrades itself.

Warm regards,
Sam
thumbnail

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the response.
So for example in tomcat bundle version, we have to overwrite the tomcat-6.0.26 directory, maintain our old portal.properties and our old data directory, and the next time we start liferay the upgrade process would have finished. isn't it?

On the other side, is the same process when you upgrades for example from liferay 6.0.4 to 6.0.5?

Thanks again,

Regards
thumbnail

Hi Unai,

Yeah you have to overwrite everything except portal-ext.properties. The data directory is only for HSQL... and if you're using HSQL, I'm really not sure how you're supposed to upgrade. I think if the data directory is not overwritten you will be okay, but I've never tried it myself so I don't know if that works. EDIT: Data directory is for images and the like. Do not delete this one either!! -- I wouldn't upgrade an install that's using HSQL -- hypersonic is only supposed to be used to demo. Instead, if you have e.g. MySQL configured, you can actually put your new bundle somewhere else, point it to the database via portal-ext.properties, and run it. It should automatically upgrade your database and you are good to go.

And yes this is the same process for 6.0.4 -> 6.0.5.

Make sure to back up both the database and the bundle before you attempt an upgrade. If you accidentally don't make a backup and something goes wonky in the database, you may have a major problem.

Warm regards,
Sam
thumbnail
Deb Troxel, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 81 Beitrittsdatum: 22.02.10 Neueste Beiträge
Hi Sam,

When I was experimenting with backing up and restoring Liferay it seemed to me that the data directory was used even with a non HSQL database (I'm using PostgreSQL). For example, if you customize the portal logo, it was stored there under the images subfolder. Is there a way to configure it so that everything is in the database?

Deb
thumbnail

Hi deb,

Ah that makes sense! Hm I don't think you can store image data in a database...at least not that I know of, because databases have a limited number of datatypes and it isn't really efficient from what I know. Most of the time media is stored separately, either on the server or on a separate server, like a CDN.

My bad on the data directory -- I just assumed that the data directory was only for HSQL, totally forgot about the other stuff (I think I assumed that the other data was stored elsewhere but now that I think about it, it doesn't make sense).

Okay then this makes sense: back up portal-ext.properties and the data directory. Everything else needs to get overwritten for upgrade emoticon

Warm regards,
Sam
thumbnail

Hi Sam,

I'm using MySQL and not only the images, the documents of document library and the lucene indexes are also stored in data directory.

I tried it yesterday and the migration from 6.0.4 to 6.0.5 worked for me!

Thanks and regards.
thumbnail
Hennie de Villiers, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 78 Beitrittsdatum: 01.04.09 Neueste Beiträge
I experienced unexpected behaviour after upgrading from 6.0.4 to 6.0.5 using sourceforge builds, running MySQL db.

The portal consisted of the "main" portal (A) with two portal instances B and C.

A held nothing but two admin users.
B was dedicated to a specific domain name as virtual host and two communities.
C contained a couple of organisations and communities with links to domains as virtual hosts.

After upgrading, one of the organisations that was created under instance C, also appeared when logged in as A or B admins.
Changes to this organisations made as say admin A would also appear under B and C and visa versa.

Eventually I had to log in as admin for C, remove the users and delete the organisation.

After recreating it and importing from lar, everything was back to normal and the problem did not re-occur.

I am just a bit concerned if the database conversion was successful since I did not run any upgrades, but merely stopped 6.0.4. made changes to portal-ext.properties and then started 6.0.5.

I understand database upgrades are automatic between 6 versions. Is this the case or do I have it wrong?
thumbnail

Hi Hennie,

You are correct -- the database upgrade is automatic.

Warm regards,
Sam