Foren

"Users and Organizations is temporarily unavailable."

LUCAS STICKLER, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

"Users and Organizations is temporarily unavailable."

New Member Beiträge: 12 Beitrittsdatum: 02.03.15 Neueste Beiträge
"Users and Organizations is temporarily unavailable." Displays after trying to create a user (but not when creating an Organization). When executing "Reindex all search indexes." to update, all organizations are removed from "Users and Organizations" but still accessible via "Site" (if added).

Pre to post error activities:
[ul]
  • I deleted all pre-populated users in the database (except the admin).
  • I imported 13 users in the DB from another Liferay instance. (Did not show up in Users and Organizations)
  • I deleted the 13 users in the DB.
  • I deleted all pre-populated Organizations in the database.
  • I added 10 Regular Organizations in the Portal. Successfully.
  • I tried adding users (received error)
  • Reindex all search indexes.
  • Found Organizations gone.
  • Tried adding users (received error)
  • Site Admin -> users -> Site Memb. Clicked "Assign Organization," Found and added organizations.
  • Tried to add users (received error)
  • Added "Test Organization" successfully.
  • Reindex all search indexes.
  • Test Organization Gone.
  • Site Admin -> users -> Site Memb. Clicked "Assign Organization" added Test Organization.
  • [/ul]

Any other Ideas?
    thumbnail
    David H Nebinger, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

RE: "Users and Organizations is temporarily unavailable."

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 14919 Beitrittsdatum: 02.09.06 Neueste Beiträge
    You forgot one other bullet item:

LUCAS STICKLER:

• I hosed up my Liferay instance because I modified the database directly.

Seriously any time you modify any record in the database you are dooming your instance to total failure.

If you want an instance without all of the sample data, you should whack your database and remove the "welcome-theme" plugin before launching Liferay the first time.

And don't bother trying to import users into the database, use the api or the interface to recreate them.

First off, aren't moderators supposed to "Moderate"? Why would you answer a post with such little respect.[br]
    You can tell, as the moderator, that I am new to Liferay. Now, if you would have asked....[br]
    [ul]
  • The reason I was adding users to the database instead of through the portal was due to an error with the users already in place ( I couldn't add them to the organizations in place, nor delete them from the portal).
  • [/ul]
    [br]
    You are the same moderator who discourages others to post, as well. [br]
    David:
    [ul]
  • "Could be because this thread is over 3 years old and the property didn't exist when it started."
  • "Step 1. Read the documentation.
    Step 2. Return to step 1 until you understand."
  • "Sorry, I'm not clicking a link to some unknown site no matter who you are. If you can't figure out how to put the image into the post, well then we just won't be able to help."
  • [/ul]

[br]
    As part of the Moderation Team, you should be encouraging users to post. This helps keep others from writing questions here because they've aready been answered. I know Xtivia would be portrayed better if you encouraged and helped people more than making snide comments to make them look bad.
    [br]
    I digress, I would apreciate having help, not useless anecdotes. (also, I wasn't dumb. I made a back-up DB first)
    thumbnail

I do encourage folks to post. I answer as many posts on the forums that I can and I'm not paid for it.

If we have some expectation that folks will read manuals which tell them how to do something they're asking, if we expect them to not include links to unknown sites possibly leading to malware or virus infection, and especially if we tell them never to modify the database directly as it is unsupported and 99% of the time leads to failures for which no one can resolve, well then I think I'm taking my role as community moderator seriously.

The zombie thread, well that was an old issue that had to have been solved the way it was. The property that exists now, well if it was there three years ago it would have been thrown out as an option. Revival of zombie threads is a classic issue that all forums face and there is no easy way to tell folks not to raise the dead.

So in your post you've toyed with the database leading to instability. This is a classic problem that everyone who tries to make changes directly run into. Liferay does not support, enforce or even use DB foreign key checks, but it has a ton of logical foreign keys that it uses and depends upon. Modifying the database without maintaining the foreign keys, pretty much a guarantee to those that don't know what they're doing, breaks liferay in many unpredictable and unrecoverable ways. The forum is littered with posts warning users not to modify the database because it leads to data corruption but often that message goes unheeded.

The documentation post, well if folks become encouraged to ask questions in the forums without reading documentation which provides clear instructions on how to do things, well then the effectiveness of the forums will decrease as they become littered with posts that aren't really helpful to anyone and especially grow stale as new releases come out.

As for the image link, that was unnecessarily harsh. Harshness aside, the OP assumed that folks would just click on any old link put into their post. I (and anyone else who cares about the safety and stability of their computers) do not click on links willy-nilly regardless of how much we would like to help. I think you'll notice, if you check the post further, that the OP pasted in the image and I quickly provided the solution to the issue, so it is not like I shot him down and left him floundering for assistance.

I did not attain the role of "Community Moderator" because of my flowery reparte. I got it because of my willingness to help anyone in the forums that I can with my vast Liferay experience.

David,
    I want to make sure that you know, we, as new users, appreciate the vast knowledge you share here. I am not looking for a flowery repertoire , just answers. Basic, "this is why it happened," answers. Thank you for sharing those in your response.

So for others that have this same issue.... This can be caused by editing the database. Avoid the database. Or if you feel you must edit it, back it up first.

Solution: I replaced the DB with my back-up, but the original errors were still keeping me from removing the fake data. In the end I scrapped it and started from scratch as David described in his first, not-so-delicate post. I unchecked the box that automatically adds data.
    thumbnail

I'm glad you got it working and this behind us.

Meet me at the symposium this year and I'll buy you a drink and (hopefully) we can look back and laugh at this...

And in the mean time, please continue posting. I do want to help everyone get onboard Liferay even if it sometimes may sound like I don't emoticon
    ajay kumar, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 12 Beitrittsdatum: 15.09.14 Neueste Beiträge
    Hi Lucas,

I'm also facing same issue ,but If you resolved this issue please share,

How to resolve, Please help me.

Thanks ,

Ajay
    thumbnail
    Andrew Jardine, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 2416 Beitrittsdatum: 22.12.10 Neueste Beiträge
    Ajay,

Did you read the entire thread? It appears as though Lucas might have (unknowingly) edited his database. A fresh install, choosing not to install the sample data (from the startup wizard) resolved his issue.

You could also trying reindexing the search index from the server administration section. I have seen problems like this arise from Lucene and the Db being out of sync.
    thumbnail
    Andrew Jardine, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 2416 Beitrittsdatum: 22.12.10 Neueste Beiträge
    C'mon. Bullet #2 is pretty funny emoticon.
    thumbnail
    Jack Bakker, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

Liferay Master Beiträge: 978 Beitrittsdatum: 03.01.10 Neueste Beiträge
    Hey Lucas,

LUCAS STICKLER:
    (also, I wasn't dumb. I made a back-up DB first)

Good, phew, I recommend you restore from backup and then, given the low number of users/etc. you are dealing with, just use the Control Panel web interface to manage.

David H Nebinger:

I did not attain the role of "Community Moderator" because of my flowery reparte. I got it because of my willingness to help anyone in the forums that I can with my vast Liferay experience.

When I think of David behind his computer I envision that he has a Monster's Inc. "We scare because we care" poster on his wall.

Flowery reparte aside for the moment, I think David's below is useful tough love for users who might stumble onto this thread where it needs to be made clear that modifying the database directly is dangerous, and that removing the welcome-theme might be wise, tho not generating test data at the setup step might also be wise.

LUCAS STICKLER:

David H Nebinger:
    You forgot one other bullet item:
    • I hosed up my Liferay instance because I modified the database directly.

Seriously any time you modify any record in the database you are dooming your instance to total failure.

If you want an instance without all of the sample data, you should whack your database and remove the "welcome-theme" plugin before launching Liferay the first time.

And don't bother trying to import users into the database, use the api or the interface to recreate them.

Hope your restore works for you.