Foren

configuring how to store last layout to db.

martin mucha, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

configuring how to store last layout to db.

New Member Beiträge: 2 Beitrittsdatum: 19.01.10 Neueste Beiträge
Hi,

I maybe little disobey forum rules, but for a good reason so please, be so kind a try to answer me this super quick question. I'm trying to convince managers to use liferay instead of inventing our "has_to_be_better" portal solution. I think I'm winning this task (quite easily), but there is one weakness in my arguments. I do not know, whether or not one can customize the way, how liferay stores data about last portlets positions, its sizes, what portlets are opened and this kind of stuff (because somebody here already designed "has_to_be_best" data structure).

I need answer to this question ASAP (answer can be: yes, it's quite problematic, no). If the answer is not "no" I'll be very gratefull if you can point me somewhere near to location where is this discussed (since I have to have precise arguments & knowledge really early, so this could really help me. My hunt for them has no success yet, and that's the reason why I'm here).

thanks in advance.
martin.

EDIT: I know, most of things cannot be customized (and its not very good idea also). But it's possible to rewrite some selects responsible for obtaining data like what are last opened portlets, their locations etc.?
thumbnail
Jason Reast-Jones, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

RE: configuring how to store last layout to db.

New Member Beiträge: 20 Beitrittsdatum: 10.10.08 Neueste Beiträge
Hi Martin,

Depending on your configuration choices Liferay can be configured with fixed page/portlet layouts and also each user can have their own set of pages, where they choose which portlets are on their own pages. All of the page layouts (which portlets, their window state etc) are persisted in Liferay's database. You can create default layouts for all users which they can then subsequently modify, you can even create a user's default layout based on their user group membership(s) e.g. if they are a member of 'Sales' and 'Management' they might get a superset of pages related to both functions.

Some useful Wiki articles:
http://www.liferay.com/community/wiki/-/wiki/Main/Personal+Community
http://www.liferay.com/community/wiki/-/wiki/Main/How+To+Use+User+Group+Page+Templates

Jason
thumbnail
Lisa Simpson, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

RE: configuring how to store last layout to db.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 2034 Beitrittsdatum: 05.03.09 Neueste Beiträge
As for storing the information, I'd hardly call Liferay's data structure "has to be best". I've spent a fair amount of time noodling around in Liferay's code and database structure. Noodling, for those of you are aren't familiar with it, refer to the practice of getting into a very muddy lake or river and feeling around in underwater holes on the bank for fish. And that's about the best description I can give of the data structure. Sometimes you get lucky and find what you want.

Yes, you can store what goes on a page, but if you want to store something that the user can open, close, and then at a later date reopen, you're likely out of luck.

You might be able to do something with cookies, though.