Foren

Message Board: Subscribe/email notifications

thumbnail
RoK ., geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Message Board: Subscribe/email notifications

New Member Beiträge: 11 Beitrittsdatum: 13.03.09 Neueste Beiträge
I am used to Moodle (moodle.org) forums that have some nice features that I really miss in LifeRay message board, especially in the field of using the message board for collaborative projects where email notifications are a key thing. To sum them up:

• HTML: First of all, I think that for closed group collaboration, full HTML editing should be made available instead of the current very restricted semi-code. I can understand the security issues for non-restricted use, but I suggest to make this a configuration choice (as it is with the Wiki where you can select Creole or HTML).
  • Subscribe to Categories: Maybe more important even is the way the subscription to categories work. In Moodle you have the following functions as a community admin (a teacher in Moodle):
    - The function "Subscribe all community members to this category" So, you are sure that everybody in your community gets the messages that are posted there. Very valuable for collaborative work. Normally we use Moodle forums for projects. I know do one with LifeRay, but I found myself sending out messages like "Please reply when you have received this message in your email". In Moodle I am sure everybody has them. There are two suboptions: a) allowing communities to unsubscribe when they want, b) or they are not allowed to do so.
    - ability to see a "list of users subscribed to this forum" (Dai Griffiths after discussion with RoK)
    - Provide a Time Delay before messages are actually forwarded to email. You know, people make mistakes. They push the send button, see the result and want to edit the message. I find everytime multiple re-edited email notifications of the same message board post in my email, because the authors have adapted them slightly. Moodle has a 30 minutes delay before it sends the messages out. In this time the authors can adapt what they want, without having dublicate messages in the email box of the community members. Very Valuable Function? Maybe even the delay time could be set as a configuration variable.
    - A further comment is about the layout of the messages you receive in your email box. Moodle does this much better (see picture below).
    You see various differences: a) graphical, including context and picture, b) a possibility to have a link to reply immediatly to the message (in LifeRay this is not possible at all at the moment), c) direct link to unsubscribe, d) HTML format in the message (includes also pictures, etc.).
    Also the semi-codes [$...etc] are missing in the instruction for e.g. a reply. My personal problem is that I find myself adapting these things for each community again and again and still they are suboptimal.
thumbnail
Jorge Ferrer, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

RE: Message Board: Subscribe/email notifications

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 2871 Beitrittsdatum: 31.08.06 Neueste Beiträge
Hi RoK,

I'm also a Moodle user and have also wanted to add those exact features to Liferay's Message Boards. It's a pitty that day's only have 24h ;)

Do you have the time and knowledge to help implementing these features?
thumbnail
RoK ., geändert vor 14 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 11 Beitrittsdatum: 13.03.09 Neueste Beiträge
Hi Jorge,
No its a pitty, I am a user and not a programmer. I reacted in that sense to the request of LifeRay to get user input in the wiki (and forum). The requested features are very valuable for the take-up of the message board (I even have thought of using the Moodle forums in an iframe portlet in liferay, because of the mail forwarding weaknesses; a sub-optimal solution I would say). By the way, I think that I was at the same time in Mallorca than you were, looking at your blog... Good working environment!
Cheers,
RoK

Jorge Ferrer:
Hi RoK,

I'm also a Moodle user and have also wanted to add those exact features to Liferay's Message Boards. It's a pitty that day's only have 24h ;)

Do you have the time and knowledge to help implementing these features?
thumbnail
Lisa Simpson, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 2034 Beitrittsdatum: 05.03.09 Neueste Beiträge
I have to agree... They seem like really good and useful features to me. I'd like to vote for them to be included. You get my little +1 emoticon
thumbnail
Matthew Ropp, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 75 Beitrittsdatum: 05.08.09 Neueste Beiträge
I add a BIG +1 to this:

- Provide a Time Delay before messages are actually forwarded to email. You know, people make mistakes. They push the send button, see the result and want to edit the message. I find everytime multiple re-edited email notifications of the same message board post in my email, because the authors have adapted them slightly. Moodle has a 30 minutes delay before it sends the messages out. In this time the authors can adapt what they want, without having dublicate messages in the email box of the community members. Very Valuable Function? Maybe even the delay time could be set as a configuration variable.

I'm so sick of getting multiple re-edited copies of the same message. It makes me much less likely to actually read and respond to forum messages that I might actually be able to learn from or help someone with.