Foren

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Dave Willis, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Expert Beiträge: 301 Beitrittsdatum: 13.07.09 Neueste Beiträge
I'm so ridiculously frustrated with how little documentation there is on any of this stuff and what IS here doesn't appear to be organized in any useful way. This project would have been done weeks ago with the proper documentation. The most frustrating part is that the company I'm working for is paying for an enterprise account but, aside from a week's worth of training, I haven't been able to get any support outside of the forums.

Whew. Glad I got that off my chest. BTW, thanks to those people who have been in the forums answering questions. I would have shot myself a long time ago without you guys.
-Dave
thumbnail
Joshua Asbury, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

RE: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Expert Beiträge: 498 Beitrittsdatum: 08.09.06 Neueste Beiträge
Hi Dave,

I'm sorry to hear that you're frustrated. Could you send me an email at sales@liferay.com with your account information (company name, etc.), and I'll see if I can uncover what is happening.

Thanks,
Josh

Unfortunately I don't have access to any of that information. I'm just a developer that was brought in to work on this project. I actually work for a company that was hired by the company for whom this project is being developed and I don't even know how to get in touch with anyone over there. And to be fair I sent a couple emails to our point of contact with Liferay, never heard back and haven't tried again in over a month. So it's not like I've been sending multiple emails and making multiple phone calls a day or anything.

I just lost my cool for a second when I posted this because I'm trying to figure out how to do something new with Liferay and, like every other time I've started on something new with this thing, the learning curve is really steep. I'm kinda wishing I hadn't posted this because I don't want anyone to think I'm a jerk or that I don't appreciate the help that I HAVE received in the forums. It'd be nice if the community was stronger but I know everyone there is helping out on their own time in an effort to lend others a hand and can't be expected to sit around waiting on new posts to answer. Wilson Man in particular has been very helpful.
thumbnail

Dave -

No worries. I'll drop you an email off the message boards to try to get some additional information from you so that we can ensure that everything is being handled the right way. If there is an EE contract that isn't being handled properly, we certainly need to make that right. From the sales perspective, I'll need to get some information from you, though, so that I can properly research and follow up on this issue.

Thanks, and look for my email.

Josh
thumbnail
Lisa Simpson, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 2034 Beitrittsdatum: 05.03.09 Neueste Beiträge
I have felt some of your pain, and oddly enough, it was during the sales process. Since then, they've been quite responsive to us. Still, if I can answer anything for you, leave a note on my wall. I hang around here quite a bit when things are slow at work. I learn oodles from reading the forums. I'd like to see the Liferay community become a bit more vibrant.

I have this wierd thing. I hate seeing a post go unanswered. Even if I don't know the answer, I'll bump it. At least then you know that you're not being ignored by the community too. To me, being ignored is even worse than being insulted. If you insult me, you at least acknowledge that I exist. Ignoring me doesn't even acknowledge that....
thumbnail
Matthew Ropp, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 75 Beitrittsdatum: 05.08.09 Neueste Beiträge
I too have felt your pain Dave. It is very hard to get cohesive and correct documentation. In my case we don't have our EE contract yet, but I'm hoping that Liferay support will really be there for us when we do!

Lisa, thanks to you and other who have responded to several of my questions.

One thing that would make the forums a little more manageable to read and respond to would be if every time someone edits their post (even a few seconds after submitting it) it didn't send out a new version of the post via e-mail. I get like 5 copies of some of the posts just because Jonas Yuan (no offense to you Jonas) added a few more words here or there a few times to make his post more complete. Maybe after a post has been "saved" it could be held for 2-3 minutes before going out via e-mail to subscribers. That would reduce the multiple versions of the same message problem and I for one would read more of the posts (and reply to more of them as I learn answers I can share.)

Is there some suggestion place I should be posting the above paragraph???
thumbnail

http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/community/wiki/-/wiki/Proposals/FrontPage

Please.... knock yourself out with one... Actually I think it might be in there already. If it is, please vote for it.

Thanks for the support guys. I'd love to see the community grow here.
thumbnail

Matthew Ropp:
I too have felt your pain Dave. It is very hard to get cohesive and correct documentation. In my case we don't have our EE contract yet, but I'm hoping that Liferay support will really be there for us when we do!

Matthew, if you haven't yet, be sure to check out the admin guide at http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/community/documentation/5_2. Rich did an excellent job with this, and it puts a nice, cohesive spin to all things Liferay. Free to download, but it is certainly worth the $30 to purchase. Rich is working on a developer's guide as well, and I'm certain it will be spectacular when it's released.

Regarding everything else in this thread, I recommend making use of the forums and using Jira to report issues and recommendations. The more participation from the community, the better we get.
thumbnail
Matthew Ropp, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 75 Beitrittsdatum: 05.08.09 Neueste Beiträge
Joshua Asbury:
[
Matthew, if you haven't yet, be sure to check out the admin guide at http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/community/documentation/5_2. Rich did an excellent job with this, and it puts a nice, cohesive spin to all things Liferay. Free to download, but it is certainly worth the $30 to purchase. Rich is working on a developer's guide as well, and I'm certain it will be spectacular when it's released.

Thanks Joshua. I have most definitely downloaded that. It was *definitely* very helpful as far as it went. Unfortunately I found it got my feet week in understanding orgs, communities, user groups, roles, etc, but left me with many, many questions. So I've been trying to plow ahead the best I can from the forums, wiki, etc. emoticon

I've been trying to take advantage of the community as much as I can as well and give back where I can. I'm a developer and unfortunately there is no corresponding guide for that yet. I'll be interested to see it when it comes out though.
thumbnail
Mika Koivisto, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1519 Beitrittsdatum: 07.08.06 Neueste Beiträge
You should take a look at development documentation for older Liferay versions. The APIs have evolved since but other than that they have a lot of useful information.
thumbnail

Rich is working on a developer's guide as well, and I'm certain it will be spectacular when it's released.

*sigh* The developer guide will be released just in time to become obsolete..... 5.3 is in beta now and it's supposed to be a major revision.
thumbnail
Mika Koivisto, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1519 Beitrittsdatum: 07.08.06 Neueste Beiträge
There are a lot of cool features in 5.3 but it is not a major rewrite as 4.3 was. We still develop the same way. The big change is moving to use Alloy UI which I'm sure Rich takes into account. Most of the documentation starting from 4.3 is still valid. Some APIs have evolved and we have introduced ServiceContext in 5.2.