Foren

User Session Expired POPUP showing up frequently

Satish Kumar Gunuputi, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

User Session Expired POPUP showing up frequently

New Member Beiträge: 19 Beitrittsdatum: 18.05.09 Neueste Beiträge
Hi Folks,

I am getting the User Session Expired popUP frequently even when actively working on an application.

These are the details of my liferay env:
Liferay 5.2.3 running on apache tomcat 6.0 , mysql 5.0.

and the web apps in liferay are built using icefaces 1.7.

Could someone tell me what is the root cause of this issue ? i tried changing the session-timeout value of my web apps and that of liferay (both in web.xml and protal-ext.properties) to 120mins but still I am getting the user session expired pop up after random times (some users of my site are getting after 10 min and few are getting this pop up after 20 mins etc) !

what is the significance of session-timeout value of tomcat/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/web.xml ? i have set this value as 30 mins and the other apps have the param set to 120 mins. does this kind of scinerao leads to this problem stated ?

thanks and Regards,
Satish.

RE: User Session Expired POPUP showing up frequently

Hi Folks,

does any body has anything to add ? could someone point me to the right code of liferay i could look at to see this problem ?

another intersting thing i found is i have following c3p0 configuration:

jdbc.default.maxIdleTime=3600
jdbc.default.idleConnectionTestPeriod=900
jdbc.default.automaticTestTable=c3p0_connection_test

does this setting has anything to do with the session management and ultimately surfacing as user session timeout pop up ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Satish.
thumbnail
Manish Kumar Gupta, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Liferay Master Beiträge: 535 Beitrittsdatum: 16.05.08 Neueste Beiträge
jdbc.* setting are only for database connections and has nothing to do with use session.
thumbnail
zaheer mohammed saddapalli, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Regular Member Beiträge: 165 Beitrittsdatum: 15.01.08 Neueste Beiträge
I will agree with Manish

There some conflict in session time out.

I will give two option .

1)Ant clean and deploy the build and login as Admin and goto server settings reindex all. Then start the server.
2) Second is to disable session.timeout.warning=1
thumbnail
Victor Zorin, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1228 Beitrittsdatum: 14.04.08 Neueste Beiträge
Zaheer, it is IceFaces - specific issue. Does not seem anything to do with portal expiry configuration settings.
thumbnail

This is a long-known issue, you are not the only one suffering from it. In some mixed cases of network environment and browsers, icefaces session expiry popup may come up immediately, thus preventing any submissions.

See if workarounds suggested in links listed below will help your case:

Blog: Lazy Loading with JSF

IceFaces Forum : Liferay session timing out ...

IceFaces Forum : Session expiration in Liferay

Edited
Out of practical curiosity, has anyone who uses IceFaces-based portlets has gone through a couple of Liferay migrations?
Would be very interesting to know.

Hi,

Thanks for your inputs.

another observation from my side:

1> i am getting this pop up exactly after 15 min if i leave the session idle
2> i am not getting this pop up when i am actively working on the ice faces web app
3> i have already disabled the ajax feature of icefaces.

i tried the following with no luck !

1> i tried increasing the idle connection time parameter value to 30 min but as manish pointed it didn't help me !
2> i tried setting the parameter enableSessionPath="true" in my server.xml of liferay (as pointed in the other icefaces forums pointed by victor) but this also didn't help me !

any other thoughts about the 15 min session time out popup ? where is this magic no 15 min coming from ?

thanks in advance

Regards,
Satish.
thumbnail

Satish, unfortunately I would not have an answer for you (not today at least), as I do not have experience in IceFaces.
It is something to do with the maintenance of timeout on client side, did you try to reset it with every request, as suggested in those links?

I bumped into this technology only recently when was asked to provide evaluation report on Liferay-based commercial implementation.
As part of this review I found out that the entire implementation of a portal is intended to be done in IceFaces. I understand the reasons why vendor has selected Icefaces (little portal expertise combined with short delivery timeframes), but still have to understand the implications of its' use in this specific project.
While some are excited about using this killer-app technology within portal, I am quite concerned about its over-use within liferay. Heavy reliance on exact versions of Javascript libs (which is not the best area in liferay), use of iframes, need for permanent connectivity with the backend engine, other related and similar security holes. It is still not really a portlet technology, it is not a mainstream within liferay, list goes on and on ...

Would be happy if someone can provide an opposite opinion based on own commercial implementations.

Hi again,

Zorin, thanks alot for your inputs.

i am able to narrow down the problem. the issue stopped occuring when I disabled one of the hosts behind my VIP. now it looks to me it is working via the session.timeout parameter of portal-ext.properties/web.xml .

Could anybody give me what is the root cause of this issue ? is it something related to the below post ? if yes what exactly can be done to fix this ?

http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/community/forums/-/message_boards/message/108144#_19_message_108144

Thanks and Regards,
Satish.
thumbnail
Piotr Swiniarski, geändert vor 6 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 13 Beitrittsdatum: 06.02.15 Neueste Beiträge
I had to resolve similar problem recently. Solution was sessionCookiePath="/" in Tomcat/conf/Catalina/yourapp.xml
<Context path="" crossContext="true" sessionCookiePath="/">