Foren

Liferay DataBase Design

thumbnail
kumaran panneer, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Liferay DataBase Design

New Member Beiträge: 14 Beitrittsdatum: 02.06.09 Neueste Beiträge
Hi Team,

Can u anybody provide LifeRay 5.2 Database Design document.

If u send that document it more useful for our team.

k. chandra sekhar, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

RE: Liferay DataBase Design

Regular Member Beiträge: 149 Beitrittsdatum: 07.07.09 Neueste Beiträge
Hi

Please go through the following links.These are very helpful in creating database design.

http://liferay1.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/snippet/portal-devt/04-adding-db-interaction.txt

http://liferay1.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/snippet/portal-devt/
thumbnail
Milan Jaroš, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Expert Beiträge: 268 Beitrittsdatum: 18.08.08 Neueste Beiträge
Hello,
I like this project. I've get it and it seems it's almost actual. Well done! But I missed some conceptual and design patterns...
Does really somebody think about this product before code-writing? ;o)
thumbnail
Lisa Simpson, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 2034 Beitrittsdatum: 05.03.09 Neueste Beiträge
I've dinged them before for not having an application architect. From what I've seen, they truly need one. There should be one person with the overarching vision of what Liferay as a project is going to become in the next 3 years. That person should be the one planning for it, arranging for features to be added to support it, etc. And I just don't see signs of that. The code, the design, etc. all seems to be rather, for want of a better word, haphazard. There needs to be a more cohesive whole and less organic growth.

Organic growth is good for a while but it eventually stagnates and requires a re-think and re-write of major portions of the code base. Planned and structured growth is really the way to go.
thumbnail
dennis monsewicz, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 71 Beitrittsdatum: 28.05.09 Neueste Beiträge
In using Liferay, I have found that almost everything is built around the database. Although, a good practice for most things, images and documents should not be included in the database development (IMO). It slows down the DB overtime (depending on the amount of documents and images held in the db) and if your server crashes you lose everything. Has anyone found a way for a permanent solution of not saving all images and documents to the DB? I know that you could upload the images and documents to a folder that is accessible by the web and just call those files, but I was just curious as to if anyone has found a permanent solution.

Thanks!
Dennis
thumbnail
Lisa Simpson, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 2034 Beitrittsdatum: 05.03.09 Neueste Beiträge
1) Documents don't live in the database unless you force it. They live in the "data" directory.

2) Having the images in your database may not be that much of a problem, depending on what you're doing.

3) I much prefer to use to my password protected database connection over a world writable directory on my hard drive like so many PHP apps.

4) Please start a new thread. This really doesn't have anything to do with schema design or the documentation thereof and it's a very old post.
thumbnail
dennis monsewicz, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 71 Beitrittsdatum: 28.05.09 Neueste Beiträge
Lisa Simpson:
1) Documents don't live in the database unless you force it. They live in the "data" directory.

2) Having the images in your database may not be that much of a problem, depending on what you're doing.

3) I much prefer to use to my password protected database connection over a world writable directory on my hard drive like so many PHP apps.

4) Please start a new thread. This really doesn't have anything to do with schema design or the documentation thereof and it's a very old post.

Lisa,

Thank you for your speedy reply. My apologies for keeping this old post alive, I just thought I would simply ask a question as to the why of how something was being done in Liferay.

1). I stand corrected on this one.

2). In my opinion, I will have to disagree with you on this one, but will leave it at that... arguing on the internet gets you nowhere.

3). Having a password protected database connection is a safer and more secure way of holding data (such as capturing form fields and unique ip addresses), but not for holding documents.

4). Again my apologies on commenting on an older post. But I thought since the title of the original post is "Liferay DataBase Design", I could then ask a question as to the way the Liferay DB Design works.

Thanks!
Dennis