Foren

Be honest. Would you choose Liferay again?

thumbnail
Matt Black, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Be honest. Would you choose Liferay again?

Junior Member Beiträge: 79 Beitrittsdatum: 23.10.07 Neueste Beiträge
Ok, we've spent days looking at the open source portals, and the really good reviews are few and far between.

Liferay gets the most attention, and "sounds" great, but Jetspeed-2 and JBoss Portal seem to be strong contenders. Alas, there are very few really serious posts around the net that discuss any of them with any great insight, or more than cursory review.

We like what we read about Liferay, but would love to get some serious feedback from those who have really put it through the paces, and preferrably some who haveg worked with the others too. So this may be a bit like asking Gimbels about Macys, but we thought we'd try asking here directly. If you had to do it over again, would you go Liferay. If not, which of the others would you use, and why?

Might you know of some good comparison sites or articles we could examine? I'm sure responses will be welcomed by others with similar questions about Liferay.

Thanks in advance.
thumbnail
Fuad Efendi, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

RE: Be honest. Would you choose Liferay again?

Regular Member Beiträge: 180 Beitrittsdatum: 05.04.07 Neueste Beiträge
Honestly: I'll go with Adobe Flex. As a portlets emoticon (why? need to think...)

I had initially performance problems with Liferay 4.3.3 which disappeared after I configured Apache Portable Runtime for Tomcat and moved to BEA JRockit JDK 6, with 4 Gb memory and "-server" option.
And, performance issues of Liferay are mostly at the client side: AJAX. It is huge, it contains implementations of Collections and many more, and it is interpreter. For AJAX-based chat portlet, for instance, we need to use "heart beat" - some kind of "autorefresh", client-initiated pull. There is no server-side push possible...
Adobe Flash runs native code! And Adobe LiveCycle do push emoticon to clients

JBoss Portal: I evaluated it this Spring, and the main issue: bad CSS quality.

Unfortunately it looks like Liferay Community is very small... many unanswered questions on Forum... Apache model with mailing list subscriptions is much better.
Luke j w, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 41 Beitrittsdatum: 26.09.07 Neueste Beiträge
Nope. Besides the obvious performance issues, the documentation just is not that good. This is true of most open source. Nobody wants to write it, and so the code becomes the documentation. For better or worse, not everyone can read through thousands of lines of code and understand precisely what is going on, and so I at least am a bit lost.
<edit>
Looking back, this seems a bit one-sided. Yes Liferay has problems, but the default distribution works fairly well for most simple things, and as long as you don't try to write your own portlets, the whole thing usually does not break completely. Also, it has all the benefits of an open source project compared to a closed source one, which means some configuration can fix many of the performance issues, and if it breaks, you yourself can fix it if necessary.
__
-Goodluck, Godspeed.
thumbnail

Luke j w:
Nope. Besides the obvious performance issues, the documentation just is not that good. This is true of most open source. Nobody wants to write it, and so the code becomes the documentation. For better or worse, not everyone can read through thousands of lines of code and understand precisely what is going on, and so I at least am a bit lost.

Absolutely agree. I have big problem right now, I urgently need to allow users post comments in my BLOG at Bambarbia's blog about BEA Workshop & Adobe Flex and "Add Entry" permission for Blogs->Permissions->Community does absolutely nothing.

Wiki is weak, forum is weak.

I need to check server logs, and to browse huge sourse code. And to modify (ppossibly) BLOG portlet, to fix bug. I'd be happy to do that and to commit changes (to publish at JIRA) but I am very afraid that some futures are simply advertised in a hope that it will be done later, if (commercially) requested. Another risk: learning path could be huge, and finally I can deside to move away.
emoticon
thumbnail
Sorin Silaghi, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 39 Beitrittsdatum: 10.09.07 Neueste Beiträge
why don't you submit patches ??? I don't understand your point ... I mean the bug tracker is open for anybody join... and I don't think they would refuse a helping hand ... I wouldn't ...
thumbnail

Sorin Silaghi:
why don't you submit patches ??? I don't understand your point ... I mean the bug tracker is open for anybody join... and I don't think they would refuse a helping hand ... I wouldn't ...

I simply thought that it's difficult... And found that Documentation + WIKI is more than enough, + working with source files directly.

It took 2 days to get on speed with different dev environments, and I fixed a bug with Asset Publisher, LEP-4038

Thank you!
thumbnail
Bryan Cheung, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Expert Beiträge: 373 Beitrittsdatum: 27.08.04 Neueste Beiträge
Hi All,

Regarding documentation, we've hired a new Knowledge Manager who will slowly but surely tackle the huge documentation mountain. We know it's frustrating working without documentation, but there's so much demand for services and support that it's hard for us to keep up.

Please contribute to the Wiki, it helps the community tremendously!
thumbnail
Brett Swaim, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Regular Member Beiträge: 112 Beitrittsdatum: 14.04.06 Neueste Beiträge
Fuad Efendi:
Luke j w:

Absolutely agree. I have big problem right now, I urgently need to allow users post comments in my BLOG at Bambarbia's blog about BEA Workshop & Adobe Flex and "Add Entry" permission for Blogs->Permissions->Community does absolutely nothing.

Wiki is weak, forum is weak.

I need to check server logs, and to browse huge sourse code. And to modify (ppossibly) BLOG portlet, to fix bug. I'd be happy to do that and to commit changes (to publish at JIRA) but I am very afraid that some futures are simply advertised in a hope that it will be done later, if (commercially) requested. Another risk: learning path could be huge, and finally I can deside to move away.
emoticon

For guest blog entries / comments, you need to edit blogs.xml under resources-actions. Currently the default in guest unavailable, so you won't be able to give them that option unless you change that xml file.
thumbnail

Hi Fuad, thanks for your feedback. Let me address a couple points.

Regarding Flex (or Laszlo) it's certainly an interesting technology and we're not opposed to its use. Liferay the Portal framework is not tied to any particular presentation technology -- you can write the display layer using CSS / JS as we have mostly done, or you can use Flex, Laszlo, JSF, Velocity, etc.

Flex is great but it's not as straightforward for search indexing and requires a separate plug in.

Regarding our JS performance, I understand JQuery (which we use quite a bit) has undergone some great performance improvements on the order of 1000s and our chief UI engineer works closely with that group. So you should continue to see better performance there. Do bear with us -- our use of some of this technology has only been for the last 4-6 months, but it should be vastly improved. We've already done extensive work to remove redundant JS file loads and reduce JS file size overall.

We try our best to keep up with the forums, but our model is very liberal (MIT license, only one version of the software, compared to Red Hat and Alfresco and others), which means we want more community involvement to help with the many issues that arise.

We definitely welcome contributions to the product.

Thanks,
Bryan
James Hong, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Regular Member Beiträge: 115 Beitrittsdatum: 22.05.07 Neueste Beiträge
Matt Black:
Ok, we've spent days looking at the open source portals, and the really good reviews are few and far between.

Liferay gets the most attention, and "sounds" great, but Jetspeed-2 and JBoss Portal seem to be strong contenders.

We (USC) are currently exploring open source portals. Commercial portals are not possible due to costs ($1million+). We are currently running on an open source portal called uPortal. I would recommend any higher ed institution to look there first. Some of the portals we demoed (not exhaustively) were Jetspeed, JBoss, Liferay, and eXoPortal. From a users perspective Liferay and eXo come out on top. What separated Liferay from the rest were the number of available (useful) portlets. Plus we like the flexibility Liferay provides us in determining our servers - for example we didnt necessarily want to get stuck on using JBoss.

Fortunately for us our timeline is almost a year away. So we are waiting for the 4.3 version to stabilize. People mention performance problems but I would have to test that for ourselves. We have some large servers (dual/quad cpus) with 8-16 GB RAM; and we can compare numbers with our current system (uPortal). Plus there are some large Liferay installations.

Matt Black:

We like what we read about Liferay, but would love to get some serious feedback from those who have really put it through the paces, and preferrably some who haveg worked with the others too. So this may be a bit like asking Gimbels about Macys, but we thought we'd try asking here directly. If you had to do it over again, would you go Liferay. If not, which of the others would you use, and why?

Sorry I cannot provide any real data on Liferay itself. We have talked to their management and we have taken their training course. We will probably be running on Liferay a year from now, if the stars align. It is interesting to note the differences in design between Liferay and uPortal - they both have their strengths and weakenesses.

Someone mentions community, I think Liferay's community is by far the largest or most active of the open source portals. The real problem is the lack of answers. I brought this topic up to Liferay a couple of times, their problem is a lack of resources/time. Documentation is another issue but if you looked at the documentation from eXo Portal, JBoss, or jetspeed, I think their documentation is worse.

Hope some of this was helpful.

James
Julien Cornouiller, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 38 Beitrittsdatum: 18.09.07 Neueste Beiträge
Yes,
i think it is a good opensource portal, with problems of course but, i ve tried ALL (i think) opensource portal, and i agree with James
James Hong:
Documentation is another issue but if you looked at the documentation from eXo Portal, JBoss, or jetspeed, I think their documentation is worse.

to compare with other portal; configuration i like in Liferay LDAP Active Directory, Mapping with role and LDAP Group, Single Sign On, Chat and all portlets packaged with the portal (workflow, BPM, Forum, Wiki, CMS, Games lol, Polls ....)

regards,
Julien
Andy W, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 5 Beitrittsdatum: 23.10.07 Neueste Beiträge
Thank you for this post. I am in the same position and looking for open source portal. What are your thoughts on metadot or dotnetnuke? It seems like dotnetnuke is the most common asp.net open source solution. It seems like the trend is moving more towards asp.net and it is easier to support. Thoughts?
Thanks,
Andy
Julien Cornouiller, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 38 Beitrittsdatum: 18.09.07 Neueste Beiträge
Andy W:
Thank you for this post. I am in the same position and looking for open source portal. What are your thoughts on metadot or dotnetnuke? It seems like dotnetnuke is the most common asp.net open source solution. It seems like the trend is moving more towards asp.net and it is easier to support. Thoughts?
Thanks,
Andy

I was looking for J2ee portals emoticon
thumbnail

Wow. Thank you all for the responses.

If liferay is reading this, perhaps this thread can help them. I suspect more than a few prospects have been turned away, afraid to ask this question.

We have now spent two days running Liferay, and are very impressed. Sure, it's got issues, but any product like it always does. Overall, the pluses seem to outweigh the minuses, but it's early in our learning curve. The granularity of permissions, the public private spaces, default page organizations, etc,. are all the best I have seen in any portlet, cms, to date. They are simple, clean, and rationale, with a minimum of clutter and forced design-think.

I'll see if I can get my engineer to post his experiences as we go along on a more technical level. I'm a mere designer.

My biggest quibbles thus are, are:
1) Forum seems largely unmoderated by skilled liferay people. That can really kill and open source effort, in my opinion. If they're making money supporting it, it would pay to throw something at the community. It will come back to them in spades.

2) The forums themselves less than stellar. I mean, one forum in English, with no subforums? Even shareware products with 100 users can do better than that. A standard PhpBB support forum, even badly run, can at least tend itself with 5 or 6 well chosen subforums. It makes administration of them easier, as the threads are more self organizing. And just the light text on dark background is a design no-no. The kind of board hackers love. Most professional forums will use a scheme that is actually readable to MOST sets of eyes. (It's a lovely theme, guys.. but forums are just not general purpose portal pages where style and flash should prevail. They are mostly text. And text is most easily read on light backgrounds, with dark text -- like this editor).

3) CSS styling seems a bit hard wired, and lacking in enough specificity. This will be another post, but what I mean is this. Almost every management and user screen uses tab widgets. The tabs are often multi level, with successive rows of tabsets, each using the same exact visual style. This is extremely awkward to understand visually. WHen I went to explore the CSS, i was expecting unique classes or IDs for each level of tabs, so they can be styled individually. Akk! Even tabset had the identical class names, and no class or attribute to signify level. This is a kind of lack of attention to interface customization detail that you can find in products like Drupal, Mambo, Joomla, etc. I was expecting better of an "enterprise quality portal" product.

Of course, I might have been missing something too. Just giving my impressions as i have them.

4) This editor blows chunks. It's slow, and in my opinion, editors that LOOK like Wizzy editors should actually be Wizzy editors emoticon
thumbnail

Matt Black:

1) Forum seems largely unmoderated by skilled liferay people. That can really kill and open source effort, in my opinion. If they're making money supporting it, it would pay to throw something at the community. It will come back to them in spades.

We are trying our best to keep up with the forum traffic. I hope that as all of you develop expertise in Liferay you will also be able to help out.

If you are using Liferay commercially our developer assistance options really should fit into a project budget reasonably well. Believe me, we really want to cultivate our community and don't want to force people to rely on commercial support, but if your clients are benefitting from the lower cost of Liferay we think it should be easy for them to put a little bit back into commercial support.

Matt Black:

2) The forums themselves less than stellar. I mean, one forum in English, with no subforums? Even shareware products with 100 users can do better than that. A standard PhpBB support forum, even badly run, can at least tend itself with 5 or 6 well chosen subforums. It makes administration of them easier, as the threads are more self organizing. And just the light text on dark background is a design no-no. The kind of board hackers love. Most professional forums will use a scheme that is actually readable to MOST sets of eyes. (It's a lovely theme, guys.. but forums are just not general purpose portal pages where style and flash should prevail. They are mostly text. And text is most easily read on light backgrounds, with dark text -- like this editor).

Regarding the forums, we used to have subdivided forums:

http://server-01.liferay.com/web/guest/devzone/forums/message_boards/category/40

But we found two limitations:

1. People would not always post to the appropriate places, and it was too much to have to try to move threads around and get that deeply involved in forum maintenance.

2. A lot of threads don't fall in neat categories but apply to several.

So in the future, we're looking at either working exclusively with tags and search for our message boards, or working with categories that can full under multiple parents (like Wikipedia, for example).

Regarding the design, we're actually working on a "white" version of the theme. We started with the dark theme with the intention of introducing the light version soon thereafter. Look for it in the next 2-4 weeks.

Regarding your points 3 and 4, I'll have to defer to the technical experts. emoticon
thumbnail

Thank you for the reply Bryan

You say you are so busy with commerical support. I am sure that's true, but much of that success may well be due to your community and its word-of-mouth. That same good will tide has been known to turn with other projects when it seems that the community is being exploited mostly for marketing purposes, and not much is coming back to them. Not saying that's happening, but that perception can emerge.

As for the threaded forums, all I can say is that most software forums have that same problem you mention, but if you sample most professional software forums around the web, many of them with moderators, but many ithout, you will see they ulimately feel the subforums is the only rational choice. Often because volunteers will just prefer to follow some types of topics, and not others, and the subforums make that easier. Yes, it requires more moderation to really keep things controlled, but it might pay to find a way to compensate some part-time moderators until your volunteer mod traffic kicks in? Good forums are invaluable for your good will in the product space.

Please don't take any of this as anything but constructive criticism. I think you have a really splendid product going here, but a great community can make it far, far better, and produce the very documentation writers and moderators you want to encourage. Fertilize the fields, and they will grow ;)
Thinus Herselman, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 2 Beitrittsdatum: 22.10.07 Neueste Beiträge
nope.

Shouldve gone for a 'commercial' solution *slap*.
But that might not be a solution either, I think any direction is gonna cause a slap.

The biggest problem is lack of documentation or comments where it really matters.
And well, this forum has allot of unanswered questions.

I have no problems with liferay portal itself though, and if it wasnt for the above, it would be perfect.
Mike Feinberg, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 38 Beitrittsdatum: 31.12.06 Neueste Beiträge
From my experience, Liferay is like HomeDepot. You do not spent a lot of money on tools and materials, but it takes all your evenings and weekends to do the project. In the process, you curse its existence; at the end your wife is happy that it did not cost too much.

(The parallel will make more sense for the US-based readers.)

I do not buy the concept that "it is so great because it comes with a lot of pre-build portlets". Most of them are not useful in the corporate environments; the ones that are, need fixes and customizations. If you think of Liferay as a tool kit and not a product, it makes life a little easier.

$.02

_mike
thumbnail
Matte Black, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Mike Feinberg:
From my experience, Liferay is like HomeDepot. ...Liferay as a tool kit and not a product, it makes life a little easier.

Thanks Mike. That sounds like practical experience talking. But what about the quality of the code, etc.? All open source projects I have ever seen (except Aptana Suite, perhaps) suffers from similar problems where the pre-builts are more of a lure than a finished solution, but in the end, the quality of the architecture and code counts more. Are you still using the product? After the time invested, do you wish you had gone another way, or has it served your needed adequately? (And in what sort of context and scale, if you don't mind saying).

I get a bit concerned when I use a product this mature, and the Forum editor has default fonts so small, nobody can see them without enlarging the browser view, or keryboard-repeat problems (in Firefox Linux) that slow down typing and deleting. Sure, these are quibbles, but when the most often used UI tools have some glaring funnies like that, it makes me wonder about the attention to bigger issues which don't see. But that's me.

All in all, I am encouraged by these comments, but I must wonder why an 8 year old license, and such a liberal license, and such a head start on so many features, has not caught on more, even with the non-enterprisers. I am rather new to the JaveEE world, so my hunches are crippled by inexperience, but I wonder if perhaps it's that javaEE is just that scary to those folks? Or oo resource intensive? Or hosting too expensive? All of the above? Why is a mature, robust, stable, standards-based product like this so modestly discussed and used as a portal solution?
Mike Feinberg, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 38 Beitrittsdatum: 31.12.06 Neueste Beiträge
Foot-in-the-door step is very easy with the drag-and-drop layouts, etc. Personal sites can be build in a blink of an eye – but heavy footprint apps are rarely hosted by $9.99/year hosting services. In the commercial environments, where footprint/platform does not matter as much if there is a feature fit, there is less tolerance for 'quibbles'. My company is small – we have very modest performance requirements, so I cannot speak of scaling issues. But ours business folks are particular about the 'user-experience', so almost every portlet that was used in our system required some level of source-code changes to deliver a more 'polished' functionality.

Plz forgive my lack of youthful enthusiasm. My comments had been posted on these forums (you can look all of them up), so there is no new substance that I can offer here. Devil is in details, it takes 80% of the time to do the last 20% of the job.

You asked if I would do it again? Honestly, I would repeat my vendor eval cycle and if LR happens to be the one, so be it. But for me it is far from life-long commitment. Just like HomeDepot.

_mike
thumbnail

I have to say, I am a bit disappointed that more LR evangelists are not jumping into this thread. If others are like me, they are considering a pretty big commitment of time and money to Liferay, and it would be nice if some with a lot of real-world experience with it were sharing their experiencss here.

It was great of CEO Bryan to jump in for a few posts, and the documentation writer would be a nice addition, given all that business they are now doing emoticon Perhaps he or she could start with a "Getting Started" guide that reads better than the current "Customization guide," which is less than helpful in orienting a first timer in setting up a typical portal and "community," adding some users to it, giving them permissions, placing a few basic pages, etc.. And a simple default configuration "model" (or a few of them) that actually resembled a common site with users, a home page, and instructions on setting up all the defaults of a portal would go a long way to making this product convince people it was a solution to their quest (of finding a truly powerful, flexible, scalable, open source portal product). Most of us understand that details are always hard. But it would take a liferay staffer perhaps a day or two to write a "Step by step" set-up guide that could remove 90% of the drama of understanding this beast for we newbies. I think even some regulars would get something out of it.

I really don't mean to sound naive about open source (or unappreciative of this one). I've seen a lot of projects. The really successful ones always find a way to really kick-start that all important community. You can tell by the vicious fights swirling around them emoticon Maybe after an 8 year head start, maybe Liferay could start such a rumble. There sure is a lot of potential here. A few good documents would help at lot.
thumbnail
Sorin Silaghi, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 39 Beitrittsdatum: 10.09.07 Neueste Beiträge

I really don't mean to sound naive about open source (or unappreciative of this one). I've seen a lot of projects. The really successful ones always find a way to really kick-start that all important community.

Yeah ..you're right ... I was really impressed by what the guys from Alfresco are doing for example... But still if you get over the documentation part liferay is pretty awesome ... I haven't been using it for such a long time but still, the amount of development that's going into this project is huge... no wonder they don't have the time to keep up with the documentation... And for me, at the end of the day, the fact that an open source has a healthy rate of development is a bit more important than for it to have the best documentation possible...

A good idea would be if they would advertise more these things a bit more.. like new versions and features ... with screenshots and everything ... people get really excited about projects when they see things are really moving along ... even if they don't have all the documentation available ...

just my 2 cents ...
thumbnail

Sorin Silaghi:

A good idea would be if they would advertise more these things a bit more.. like new versions and features ... with screenshots and everything ... people get really excited about projects when they see things are really moving along ... even if they don't have all the documentation available ...

Sorin,

I think you're right on target. And I don't even think it's advertising. Just promotion. I almost had to talk my team into really exploring liferay, because while there are many mentions of it out there, there is not a lot of really forceful PR driving it. But for a few reviews that get a lot of hits, it would barely be noticed at all. More presence would certainly pump up the community volume. I agree also that there is far more development going on than it first appears. And stirring the pot tends to produce more visible waves. I have noticed that some of my own threads (including his one) have generated a lot more activity than I had noticed previously. That might be an illusion, but I don't think so. Motion seems to begat more motion.

I really think Liferay could be the Xoops/Drupal/Joomla of the professional, JaveEE codespace. It just needs a bit more of what I term, "buzzcraft." Perhaps we can help produce some more.
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 7942 Beitrittsdatum: 24.03.10 Neueste Beiträge
Seems like JBoss Portal project got closed and a new project GateIn got started.
I'm not sure how compatible these two projects are but from the jboss thread, they seems to be different.

http://community.jboss.org/thread/160337
thumbnail
Rich Sezov, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Regular Member Beiträge: 220 Beitrittsdatum: 07.02.07 Neueste Beiträge
Matte Black:

It was great of CEO Bryan to jump in for a few posts, and the documentation writer would be a nice addition, given all that business they are now doing emoticon Perhaps he or she could start with a "Getting Started" guide that reads better than the current "Customization guide," which is less than helpful in orienting a first timer in setting up a typical portal and "community," adding some users to it, giving them permissions, placing a few basic pages, etc..

Hey Matt,

I'm the aforementioned documentation writer. Up until a month ago, I also was an end-user of Liferay, who ran into many of the same problems Joel ran into with the 4.2 -> 4.3 upgrade. In fact, he helped me out quite a bit as I was getting up to speed.

Our plans for the documentation include (for now) two books: a Liferay Administration Guide and a Liferay Developers' Guide. We've already worked up complete outlines for both, and I'm diving into the actual text as we speak. The Administration Guide will cover everything about making use of Liferay, from the install, to security administration (users / groups / roles) to portal administration (organizations, communities, pages) to the use of the bundled portlets. The Developers' Guide will cover everything about developing on Liferay as a platform, from plugins (portlets and themes) to the extension environment, to the Service Builder, Dynamic Queries, etc., plus some information on Liferay's archictecture. I've started with the Administration Guide: a 60 page first chapter on installing Liferay in all of its derivations (bundle, ext, and .war file) has already been written. In fact, I just finished up the docs for installing Liferay on WebLogic 10 yesterday.

We've collaborated internally on the outlines for these manuals, but in the spirit of open source, and working to be as transparent as possible to the community, I've posted the outlines I'm working from to the wiki here. I'd welcome any feedback (good or bad) from anyone who wants to contribute.

If you take a look at the outlines, you'll see that this is no small task, but we're undertaking it because we know it's a pain point and one of our obvious weaknesses. We'd like, however, to turn it into a strength. If it helps to get it into your hands faster, I would be happy to post the chapters (once we figure out the best place to do that) as I complete them, rather than making everyone wait until the books are complete.

Believe me, the community is important beyond measure to Liferay. I've seen that from both sides, as I once was just another member of the community, working to implement my own Liferay project at my previous organization. I received a lot of free help on the forums before my organization decided to pay Liferay for any services. And when I met several Liferay employees as a result of that, I saw firsthand how much blood, sweat, and tears are poured into this project every day, as well as how much hard work and dedication to excellence are exemplified by the people who work here. Yes, it has its failings, as nobody (and certainly no organization) is perfect, but I knew that this was an organization I wanted to be a part of. We certainly know our weaknesses (and the community helps to point us at the ones we don't know about :grinemoticon and are doing our best to address them to the best of our ability.

Thanks for posting this, Matt. It certainly has brought a lot of stuff out into the open!
thumbnail

Rich Sezov:
Believe me, the community is important beyond measure to Liferay. Thanks for posting this, Matt. It certainly has brought a lot of stuff out into the open.

Rich,

You're welcome, and glad to have you aboard! It's encouraging to see the doc writer Bryan mentioned, actually pop-up so soon.

Vaughan Schmidt and I have just started a Wiki for overhauling the Wiki Portlet. I am going to create a few others very soon, hoping to demonstrate that creating and maintaining Wikis is pretty easy, and that they can really help to consolidate a lot of the more coherent discussions of these issues, problems, tips and bugs. (Ironically, my Liferay project will include a tool for such work, but it's not ready for prime time, so the Wiki will have to do, for now.)

My next page will be a Liferay glossary (stub) page, which is something I am hoping you and the Liferay devs can all flesh out over time. It should include many non-Liferay terms, as well, since many people are unfamiliar with some nomenclature (portals v. portlets, etc).

While it's great that you're at work on "the books," and they will be a huge addition, I have to say that I agree with the comments above about a full- or part-time Liferay staffer who just works these forums. Such a cost would pay for itself many times over in terms of Google-able posts (advertising), topic moderation (community coherence), and overall goodwill (community public relations).

While we all love a good friggin manual (which we still won't read until absolutely necessary), in my opinion, nothing can replace a well organized set of forums, sticky posts, and both paid and volunteer moderators. One of the best open source forums I've used is that found at Aptana.com. Whether the staff is paid for their forum efforts, or not, there are many staffers involved, and the overall support is nearly immediate, and always outstanding. It's contributed nicely to Aptana's respect and awareness in the Eclipse-centric communities. Ubuntu's communities are pretty impressive too, and show how many sub forums can be made less chaotic with lots of volunteers chipping in.

I really hope Bryan will take this suggestion to heart. Even a two month trial of such a forum staffer would probably yield dramatic improvements in terms of site traffic, user posts, tips, general participation, and overall awareness of Liferay. And the latter can only go straight to Liferay's bottom line emoticon
thumbnail
Jonathan Hayward, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Regular Member Beiträge: 209 Beitrittsdatum: 20.09.07 Neueste Beiträge
One specific quote about topics for the forums: in the Can the admins add a HOWTO thread, Jorge Ferrer asked my advice as someone with a cognitive science background, and I wrote something more complex than what I wrote now:

Jonathan Hayward:
Jorge Ferrer:
Hi Jonathan,

It's nice to have a cognitive science expert around emoticon

We took that decision based on feedback from the community. But we can always reconsider adding some categories if the feedback is now in the opposite direction, as evidenced by the other two posts. Based on you knowledge of Liferay and cognitive science, what categories would you recommend?

Let me think so that I don't just give you something off-the-cuff or engineered without appropriate input. I'm not sure of exactly what the best division would be, but you might consider the following. (I'm not sure I'm the best person to make the decision, but this might feed into the decision: )

Three basic ways of dividing things are as follows.

Audience-based: in the case of a school website, "current students," "prospective students," "alumni," "faculty" would have different needs, and you can create a separate homepage for each. This is not terribly relevant here, as it seems that most posters make up one basic audience, people who are trying to understand Liferay well enough to accomplish basic tasks.

Subject-based: Material is broken down into what things are about: I would not reccommend a pure subject-based approach, but you could have subjects of "Portlet internals," "theme internals," "infrastrucure"...

Task-based: At least at my bank, the online banking is organized around things a customer might want to do: "check balance" (they made a good decision in having this be shown as soon as you log in), "view transaction history," "pay bills"...

It's a sort of "apples and oranges" comparison about which is better in general; if you've read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, you might remember where the author is describing two types of welders (those who want to keep in a familiar groove, and those who want new challenges to solve), and says that one is not better than the other, but if you hire a welder, you want the right kind for the work you need done so that there's a good fit. Each of these is ideal some of the time; what you want is a good fit.

The one other bit that I would add is that while each can be appropriate, it is usually not appropriate to mix approaches in the same list: you don't want to look at a store shelf and see "raisins," "dried apricots," "dried pairs," and "spark plugs," nor do you want links that say "customers," "employees," and "press releases." You can offer more than one of these, but there should be a good mix: Wal-mart does not confuse its customers by offering T-shirts in one area and food in another, but they have the sense not to put jars of pickles among the T-shirts. Fordham's theology homepage, on the right, has separate lists for three kinds of requests, and there's a big difference between clearly distinguished lists and one list that leaves the visitor unsure whether there is an audience-based or a subject-based classification.

With that stated, I don't think an audience-based approach would serve this community. Perhaps there's a difference between people who want to customize Liferay without modifying Java, and people who want to program in Java to make new Portlets and the like, and there is a difference between employees and customers, but my impression is that most of the people are customers who want to customize Liferay, and employees have other options besides the forum.

I believe that subject-based and task-based are both strong contenders, but I as a visitor would be less helped by an encyclopedia based on subject-matter (an encyclopedia could be good for internals), as a task-based approach. What would go into the categories would be something that would gracefully help people get the HOWTO-related material that they want.

What I would reccommend is that you or someone else at Liferay post a sticky note, responses allowed, asking people what the tasks are they are trying to support with the forum (ex: understand theme development well enough to make a custom theme, or fine-tune a theme the visitor wants comments on; troubleshoot an installation that is giving error message "_________" when the user is attempting such-and-such task.) I suspect that with a good list of current and past tasks, there will be a natural division into basic categories; maybe there will be more than one way of dividing, but in "data first" fashion I think that something arising from looking at the data would be better than what I could design my myself.

I think that a good task-based distinction, without ruling out subject-based, that is designed out of user responses would help people find what they want.

Jonathan Hayward
Jonathan's Corner: A Glimpse into Eastern Orthodox Christianity

What I would say now is a lot simpler: Liferay had a topic structure that was popular and worked well. Without excluding future tweaks and improvements, restoring the earlier set of topics has much to commend it from a cognitive science perspective, even if the earlier topics were designed without academic use of cognitive science.

Jonathan Hayward
thumbnail

Matte Black:
Vaughan Schmidt and I have just started a Wiki for overhauling the Liferay Wiki. I am going to create a few others very soon, hoping to demonstrate that creating and maintaining Wikis is pretty easy, and that they can really help to consolidate a lot of the more coherent discussions of these issues, problems, tips and bugs. (Ironically, my Liferay project will include a tool for such work, but it's not ready for prime time, so the Wiki will have to do, for now.)

When I read this, I thought that "Wiki for overhauling the Liferay Wiki" did not mean an overhaul for the Liferay portlet that deals with Wikis, but something more relevant to this discussion.

I thought that this would be a wiki page for overhauling the content of the Wiki at http://wiki.liferay.com/index.php/Main_Page , which directly relates to this discussion.

I have had some things go well, but I am having trouble figuring out how exactly to get the Alfresco portlet to add. I've done some research, and found articles on how to do this in both Liferay's and Alfresco's wiki. Unfortunately, both entries were out-of-date. They refer to files that no longer exist in the present distribution, and leave me unsure of how, or even whether, I should try to proceed with the rest of the instructions while compensating for the fact that I found two Wiki HOWTO entries but they both appear to be out-of-date enough that they could be irrelevant.

If you want to overhaul the portlet used for the wiki, that's great, but there is a much greater need related this thread: a project to overhaul the wiki. I want to post another article asking about getting Alfresco to work as a portlet (and, possibly, if anyone has a solid way to integrate Liferay and Alfresco overall), but my concern here is to suggest that at least some of the Wiki needs an overhaul, and perhaps a wiki page should be made to do that. (Why haven't I done that myself? I'm not sure what bases need to be covered...)

Hoping this will help improve the wiki,
Jonathan Hayward
thumbnail

Sorry Jonathan,

A valid point. The word "portlet" would have clarified things. I just changed the wording of that post. See, if we had a portlet forum, that wouldn't have been needed emoticon
thumbnail

Matte Black:
Sorry Jonathan,

A valid point. The word "portlet" would have clarified things. I just changed the wording of that post. See, if we had a portlet forum, that wouldn't have been needed emoticon

I decided to create a page for Wiki.liferay.com Content Overhaul.

Perhaps some of the people who have responded to this note can work with it.

Jonathan Hayward
thumbnail

Rich Sezov:
Believe me, the community is important beyond measure to Liferay. I've seen that from both sides...

Ordinarily I'd expect some sensitivity about talking about something from the Bible, but Liferay has included some pretty neat portlets that wouldn't be there if they were afraid of Christianity. I'd like to talk about a basic human issue that appears in a story in the Bible and is relevant here.

There are some moments in the stories about Jesus that seem like "Well, duh!" moments today. But they seem a lot less like "Well, duh!" moments if you understand them a bit more. The following story, which Jesus told, looks like Christ's clue-by-four:

Matthew 21:28-31, RSV:
[Christ said] "What do you think? A man had two sons; and he went to the first and said, `Son, go and work in the vineyard today.'

And he answered, `I will not'; but afterward he repented and went.

And he went to the second and said the same; and he answered, `I go, sir,' but did not go.

Which of the two did the will of his father?" They said, "The first."...

The point I want to make becomes clearer if you understand the context. Honor and shame may exist in every culture, but honor was more important than wealth, much more important than in my culture. And honor and shame have a lot to do with this story.

More than this, "Honor your father and mother" wasn't just associated with the Ten Commandments. It wasn't so much like employees trying to understand technology because their CEO has said it's important and they are following orders. It's more like understanding technology in OSS developer culture: exactly what can you mean if you try to talk about OSS developer culture without trying to understand technology? Honoring father and mother was very basic to a lot of things in that culture.

In most cultures, there are different ways of saying "Yes" and "No," and saying the word "Yes" can be at times more a polite way of honoring the other person than a real commitment--and everybody knew this. When the second son said he would do what his father said, he was in a situation where everybody knows you are not rude by saying "No" to his father's face. A rough equivalent in a slightly different situation would be to say something like, "I'm really excited about what you are doing and I wish I could help you." It was an honoring response, and "everybody" would have known that the son who honored his father gave the better response, even if he wasn't able to help out.

Meanwhile, the son who said "No," even if he changed his mind afterwards, had spit in his father's face. That is something you simply do not do, and spitting in your father's face in a culture that is honoring your father and mother is a much graver matter than not helping out. Telling your father "No" to his face is something you just don't do, even if you can't do what he asks. (Would you rather quietly decline to help your parents with something, or publicly disgrace them in front of their friends? This is a bit of a hint about what is going on.)

This story comes up after some of the most respected pillars of the community--the kind of people I would like to be like if I had lived then--complained about Christ doing the equivalent of hanging out with drug dealers, and just after I stopped the quotation, says something blunter than "I prefer the drug dealers' company to yours."

This is a shocking story, and many things in the Gospel are things that shock once you understand them. But my reason for bringing this up is not specifically theological. The story distinguishes between honoring, and helping.

Liferay the company is big on honoring its users, in a number of ways. The CEO took time out of what I imagine to be a jam-packed schedule to write some responses on this thread that took some time. Users have said things that have been pretty difficult to hear, and if that kind of statement were made to me, I would be sorely tempted to respond bluntly. And I don't think there was duplicity or guile in "Believe me, the community is important beyond measure to Liferay." And this applies when people have said it was a mistake to delete the subforums--and not just on this thread. I would characterize Liferay employee responses as, at some times, hearing people out and trying to be open, and at other times, explaining that it's better the way it is now. And without one single exception, the responses have been honoring.

As far as helping goes... that's not such a strong point. I am extremely concerned that you can get as many cries of "Bring back the topics!" as there are, and the many honoring responses somehow never seem to add up to restored subforums/topics.

As to what is wrong with this, I have another story to tell.

I was reading a book from Dear Abby some years back, and she quoted one question and answer where a wife had written and said, "I really want to dance and my husband won't dance with me. What should I do?" Dear Abby wrote back and expressed sympathy... but said that there were more important things than dancing.

This one story is the one I remember her saying she got a lot of letters, explaining how wrong she was. Why? "The issue is not dancing; the issue is compromise."

I have a knee injury, and I only dance when I am willing to risk real physical pain, even if I cherish dancing, especially at weddings. If I personally were married to this woman, I think she would need to accept that I shouldn't be willing to dance that often, and this is really not an issue of compromise. But the same is not true of her husband--if he knows that dancing is important to her and simply will not dance, there is a big issue, and the issue is not dance, but compromise.

I am concerned about what I've seen in discussion of topics. But this is very much like "The issue is not dancing; the issue is compromise." In this case, the real issue that concerns me is that Liferay does not seem very good at helping its users when they say "You've made a mistake and we're hurting," even though they are much better at honoring in response to those pleas than I would be.

Does anyone else see "The issue is not dance; the issue is compromise" concerns in Liferay having difficulty choosing to help in this case, even when it is very good at honoring its community?

With thought,
Jonathan Hayward
thumbnail

So, Jonathan, whatcha do for kicks?

Seriously, you're always interesting.

I'm going to take your post to the beach next summer. I'm sure I will come back with questions ;)
thumbnail

Matte Black:
So, Jonathan, whatcha do for kicks?

Mostly create things and write. I got my knee injury playing with some neighborhood children, and I do not regret it (no one else got hurt)... nor do I find that it really stops me from doing what I love most.

Matte Black:
Seriously, you're always interesting.

I'm going to take your post to the beach next summer. I'm sure I will come back with questions ;)

Thanks. (I'm trying not to be a complete leech... I've gotten a lot more answers to my questions than answered other people's questions.)

Jonathan Hayward
thumbnail
David Truong, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Expert Beiträge: 322 Beitrittsdatum: 24.03.05 Neueste Beiträge
Hey Jon,

I don't know if it's fair to say that we are honoring but not helping. You use the example of the message board subcategories as your example as if we could just add the categories back in and all the topics will magically rearrange themselves back in the proper places. There are thousands of posts and no way to easily sort them (as oppose to just moving them all into one category) so unless you guys are satisfied with only new posts being subcategorized then its not going to help very much at all. I think we choose to spend time on what will be the most helpful to our community AND our costumers. Unfortunately Liferay is as much a company as it is an open source project so we have to balance what we do for both. Most of the time... we feel it is most helpful to become a better product feature wise... which unfortunately means docs and forums and such don't get as much attention. We realized how much poor documentation has hurt our community and our costumers so we've hired Rich to help with that. You see, it's not that we don't want to add the subcategories back, it's just that compared to the other things we are doing, it is not as high of a priority.

So here's what I'll get to happen a.s.a.p. We'll add subcategories because that takes like 10 mins even though it might not be too helpful now, it's better than nothing. But we won't be able to sort the old posts till much later.. if ever. I think you'll only ever see it when we implement tags.

I hope this way we can be as honoring and helpful as possible. Honestly we care about you guys =).

David
thumbnail

David Truong:
Hey Jon,

I don't know if it's fair to say that we are honoring but not helping. You use the example of the message board subcategories as your example as if we could just add the categories back in and all the topics will magically rearrange themselves back in the proper places. There are thousands of posts and no way to easily sort them (as oppose to just moving them all into one category) so unless you guys are satisfied with only new posts being subcategorized then its not going to help very much at all. I think we choose to spend time on what will be the most helpful to our community AND our costumers. Unfortunately Liferay is as much a company as it is an open source project so we have to balance what we do for both. Most of the time... we feel it is most helpful to become a better product feature wise... which unfortunately means docs and forums and such don't get as much attention. We realized how much poor documentation has hurt our community and our costumers so we've hired Rich to help with that. You see, it's not that we don't want to add the subcategories back, it's just that compared to the other things we are doing, it is not as high of a priority.

So here's what I'll get to happen a.s.a.p. We'll add subcategories because that takes like 10 mins even though it might not be too helpful now, it's better than nothing. But we won't be able to sort the old posts till much later.. if ever. I think you'll only ever see it when we implement tags.

I hope this way we can be as honoring and helpful as possible. Honestly we care about you guys =).

David

I really appreciate this reply.

(And I wasn't expecting retroactive sorting of existing material... I am grateful for adding the categories even if you have no way to sort what's presently in the forum.)

With deep gratitude,
Jonathan Hayward
thumbnail
Joel Kozikowski, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Expert Beiträge: 405 Beitrittsdatum: 28.06.06 Neueste Beiträge
David Truong:
Most of the time... we feel it is most helpful to become a better product feature wise... which unfortunately means docs and forums and such don't get as much attention.

That is what I mean by a "culture of quantity."

A customer has to decide to go with Liferay in the first place before they are willing to pay money for its services. Who knows how many customers have been turned off by the instability of the system. Or, the difficulty of developing customized portlets.

If I could actually get my system into production and have some real customers use it, I may find that the demand for additional functionality may exceed my internal development capacity and thus I'd contract out some on the Liferay team. Or, maybe I'd find I need some help performance tuning, or setting up a cluster, or some other "high end" expertise that is easier to outsource. I MAY some day - but at this point, I can't even release the product because I won't subject my own company's reputation for quality products and services to the current state of "our" portal system.

Its really frustrating, but I can't even give my partners a time frame for when we can release. I'd like to say "as soon as test this one last feature", but it seems that each time I try to take a step forward, I run into some problem. Its like I'm the only person in the world who used the Journal system to create content on their site and tried to upgrade. It must be that way, because if I weren't, then surely someone else would have found and fixed LEP-3549, or LEP-3640, or LEP-3739, orLEP-3674 in a pre-production release. Just a thought, but when your paying customers finally upgrade from 4.2, perhaps you can use the time saved by NOT having to put out the fires that would have raged if those weren't fixed, and maybe answer a few questions over here on the forums.

Perhaps it all depends on what you want to use the system for, but at this point my primary need is a stable kernel/portlet container and service layer that I can use to write my own customized portlets. I tried to customize some of the existing portlets to tweak them for my end user's needs, but when the upgrade came out, they were so drastically different that I pretty much had to "re-customize" them again. At that point, I decided that I couldn't go through this each release, so I just opted to re-write them myself, using my own new JSF portlet library. Its easier to understand and maintain than JSP anyway. So now, I'm working on my own JSF based "Journal Content Creation" portlet and calling into the service layer.

I may some day use some of the other portlets that come with Liferay "out of the box", but right now, I have virtually no idea what most of them even DO! There is no place I can go to that says "Portlet X does this, and here is how you configure it." Many of the portlets are "proof-of-concept" portlets for demo purposes. Once I saw that, I just assumed most of the other ones were also, so I just disabled them all but the ones I really needed and could verify what they actually do.

There are a lot of peopel here who want to help. But, you guys can't take the attitude of "the community will help itself." Otherwise, many of us here may start throwing the "f" word around.
thumbnail

Joel Kozikowski:

I may some day use some of the other portlets that come with Liferay "out of the box", but right now, I have virtually no idea what most of them even DO! There is no place I can go to that says "Portlet X does this, and here is how you configure it." Many of the portlets are "proof-of-concept" portlets for demo purposes. Once I saw that, I just assumed most of the other ones were also, so I just disabled them all but the ones I really needed and could verify what they actually do.

Hey Joel,

This is definitely one of the issues we are addressing in the new documentation. To quote a politician I never liked much: I feel your pain (but I actually mean it). emoticon I probably did the same thing most people do: download Liferay, bang around in it enough to see "on the surface" what it can do, and say "This is awesome! I am definitely implementing this!" The bundled functionality of wikis, blogs, forums, shopping carts, cms, user admin, etc., etc., just blows your mind when you first see it. It's like the holy grail of what most people are searching for is finally found: a piece of software that has all the features I need to run my web site built in! I don't have to muck around trying to integrate all these separate products!

The problem starts when you have to actually start configuring things. For the portlets, right now, you have to just click around and figure things out. I have a web site outside of Liferay (predating my employment here) which uses Liferay's shopping cart. I can say that while I never experienced any bugs with the portlet (it does work well; my site sells stuff all the time and its Paypal integration--once you figure it out--works great), I would have saved a lot of time if I had had some guide on how to use it.

We are systematically going to go through and document the functionality of every portlet that comes bundled with Liferay. It's been a long time coming, and many of the portlets are now complicated enough that we cannot leave them out of the documentation. This is one of the reasons I keep saying we have our job cut out for us: it's going to be a big job. In fact, if anybody wants to lend a hand by writing a Wiki article on any of the portlets, it would be enormously helpful, as the sheer amount of text that needs to be written can be overwhelming.

In any case, I wanted to make sure that you knew this particular pain point is being addressed.
thumbnail

Rich Sezov:
This is definitely one of the issues we are addressing in the new documentation....

We are systematically going to go through and document the functionality of every portlet that comes bundled with Liferay. It's been a long time coming, and many of the portlets are now complicated enough that we cannot leave them out of the documentation. This is one of the reasons I keep saying we have our job cut out for us: it's going to be a big job. In fact, if anybody wants to lend a hand by writing a Wiki article on any of the portlets, it would be enormously helpful, as the sheer amount of text that needs to be written can be overwhelming.

Rich -

GREAT news. I recognize that Liferay is moving in the correct direction, and that it takes some time between "realization we have a problem" and "fixing the problem." No doubt its a big task.

I don't generally "complain" about things like I have been doing on this thread, but this seemed like a good time to release some pent up frustrations. Heck - I'm one of the Liferay advocates! Imgage what the LR haters are saying.

I do think a lot of it is "cultural." In the mid 90's the project I was involved with was more a "culture of quantity" also. We thought that the best thing we could do was continue to add new features to the system. While we got some AWESOME features in the program, we nearly bankrupt the company in the process. It was getting difficult to make sales because there were a lot of bugs in the system and the market was starting to take notice. And, they weren't even bugs in the NEW stuff. Just bugs in the old stuff. That was before we got serious about QA.

It takes some maturity (and some serious battle scars) to realize that once you've raised the bar to a certain level, continuing to raise the bar doesn't really make that much difference in a sale. If Liferay were "behind" the competition as far as features, I'd understand, but IMO it has a lead. Its the one with the sexy interface. So, if you are dating a super model, do you really think it is necessary to have her do some cosmetic surgery to make her look "even better?" She's already better looking that 99% of the women in the world! Now, think of the old adage - for every good looking woman, there is some man tired of her s@#t. Wouldn't most of us really prefer an attractive partner without a lot of baggage vs. some SPECTACULAR looking partner that is a pain in the ass to live with every day!?

Re: the documentation specifically - I'd recommend that part of the "portlet documentation" be a entry that specifies the "quality" and "intention" of the portlet. Is it a production quality portlet? Is it beta? Is its purpose for demo purposes only? That is important to know. Its easy to forgive "bad" code if it is CLEARLY marked as experimental, or new. A lot of this stuff is about managing expectations.

One suggestion about the Wiki and the Portlet docs specifically: one idea that I had was to write a small program that would generate a Wiki entry "shell" for each portlet in the system. Bascially, parse the portlet.xml and liferay-portlet.xml files and automatically generate a Wiki entry for each portlet. At least that way, you'd have a starting point. You'd also have a system that could be run (and re-run) with each new release. That way, if a new portlet comes along and someone (SHAMEFULLY) didn't document it, at least the Wiki entry would be there, and the "default" entry could say it was "Experimental" - at least, until someone got around to writing up the documentation, using it, and discovering that it really was "production" ready.
thumbnail

Joel Kozikowski:

I don't generally "complain" about things like I have been doing on this thread, but this seemed like a good time to release some pent up frustrations. Heck - I'm one of the Liferay advocates! Imgage what the LR haters are saying.

I know you don't. That's why you got my attention. emoticon Like I said before, you helped me out quite a bit when I was trying to figure out Liferay. Because of your help (and others) on these very forums, I wound up implementing it not just for the tiny web site I mentioned, but also for the company I was working for at the time. But the learning curve was steep, even though I had the luxury of not having to divide my time between multiple projects. That's why I can identify with these frustrations, and ultimately, it's what motivates me to get these guides done.

Joel Kozikowski:

Re: the documentation specifically - I'd recommend that part of the "portlet documentation" be a entry that specifies the "quality" and "intention" of the portlet. Is it a production quality portlet? Is it beta? Is its purpose for demo purposes only? That is important to know. Its easy to forgive "bad" code if it is CLEARLY marked as experimental, or new. A lot of this stuff is about managing expectations.

Noted.

Joel Kozikowski:

One suggestion about the Wiki and the Portlet docs specifically: one idea that I had was to write a small program that would generate a Wiki entry "shell" for each portlet in the system. Bascially, parse the portlet.xml and liferay-portlet.xml files and automatically generate a Wiki entry for each portlet. At least that way, you'd have a starting point. You'd also have a system that could be run (and re-run) with each new release. That way, if a new portlet comes along and someone (SHAMEFULLY) didn't document it, at least the Wiki entry would be there, and the "default" entry could say it was "Experimental" - at least, until someone got around to writing up the documentation, using it, and discovering that it really was "production" ready.

This is a great suggestion. My only concern (as is my general concern with the Wiki) is finding the information. Many people don't like the Wiki because the perception is that it's a bunch of articles thrown in there without any organization at all. We're working to address that (actually, that was being addressed before I got here), but it still to a large extent suffers from that. That's why I kind of see the Wiki as the "living" documentation, where we can stage information and then later present it to end users in a more systematic fashion.
thumbnail

Joel Kozikowski:

One suggestion about the Wiki and the Portlet docs specifically: one idea that I had was to write a small program that would generate a Wiki entry "shell" for each portlet in the system. Bascially, parse the portlet.xml and liferay-portlet.xml files and automatically generate a Wiki entry for each portlet. At least that way, you'd have a starting point.

I have never understoood why ALL design IDEs, in all languages, have not made such meta content easy, and not just a dumb wiki entry. It could link to fully classified repository citation about the portlet (or object). A bibliographic record, if you will, about the component. And the portlet can force the issue with an "about" submenu like "datails." When a blank screen keeps coming up, the dev will be reminded to replace the placeholder with meaningful content.
thumbnail

Rich Sezov:
This is a great suggestion. My only concern (as is my general concern with the Wiki) is finding the information. Many people don't like the Wiki because the perception is that it's a bunch of articles thrown in there without any organization at all. We're working to address that (actually, that was being addressed before I got here), but it still to a large extent suffers from that. That's why I kind of see the Wiki as the "living" documentation, where we can stage information and then later present it to end users in a more systematic fashion.

I had/have the same concerns. I would not be surpised in the least bit to find some of the stuff I've "complained" about not being available IS actually somewhere - I just couldn't find it.

I run a separate site that has a similar situation (my primary business - on an old PHP PostNuke system that I would love to migrate to Liferay BTW). It has a LOT of content on it that has been accumulated over the last four years. For the old timers, your sort of know where things are stashed because you've seen it evolve. For a new user, however, its too easy to get overwhelmed.

I would suggest that that Wiki, or some other document, have a "Roadmap for new users", and a "Roadmap for developers" that is a hyper-page dedicated to guiding that new user to all the resources available.

This could also be the place to document "best practices." For example - when I started w/ Liferay, I created my first few portlets in the extension environment. That is what all the other docs said to do, so I assumed that was the "Best practice." I've since found that hot deployable portlets are really the better way to go. Easier to manage. Until the refactoring of the service layer, you really couldn't do that. Too many things were lost and you were severely limited to what a stand-alone hot deployable portlet could do. When the services got refactored into a layer accessible by hot deployable portlets, the entire game changed. Fortunately, I learned of this change early, and was able to start work down that path. Of course, there is very little documentation re: this technique, so I've had to find a lot of stuff out on my own. Anyway - it would be nice if I could write-up what I have learned, and then go to some "roadmap" page to cross reference my NEW write-up, so any new users would learn that the extension environment is not necessarily the recommended way to do things any more.

Basically, there needs to be one standard starting point that everyone can be pointed to. That one point should NOT change, but everything else can change around it.

Since my involvement with the project over the last year, I've seen a lot of new stuff pop up. One of the best resources I've used to date is to just go to the Wiki and look at the "change log" to see what, if anything is new. I haven't even looked at the "official documentation" page because last time I did (some time ago), it was started to get outdated, and it was incomplete. The thing could be totally re-written and I would never know about it. So, perhaps in addition to these "road maps", there could be a "What's new in Liferay" page, where important NEW or updated resources could be placed.
thumbnail

Joel Kozikowski:

I run a separate site that has a similar situation (my primary business - on an old PHP PostNuke system that I would love to migrate to Liferay BTW). It has a LOT of content on it that has been accumulated over the last four years. For the old timers, your sort of know where things are stashed because you've seen it evolve. For a new user, however, its too easy to get overwhelmed.

Another reason to have a "newbie" doing the documentation. I don't know where a lot of this stuff is, so I have to dig up a lot of it by either finding it myself or asking people. emoticon

Joel Kozikowski:
I would suggest that that Wiki, or some other document, have a "Roadmap for new users", and a "Roadmap for developers" that is a hyper-page dedicated to guiding that new user to all the resources available.

Another great suggestion. I will put this on my to do list to implement, as I slog through the Wiki looking for content that can be adapted to the books. There's a lot of good content in there; this can help people to find it better. Have you seen the categories that have been created (primarily by Jorge, who is just a machine. I am amazed at how much he accomplishes. emoticon The category list is here: http://wiki.liferay.com/index.php/Special:Categories
thumbnail
Roman Hoyenko, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Liferay Master Beiträge: 878 Beitrittsdatum: 08.10.07 Neueste Beiträge
Joel Kozikowski:

This could also be the place to document "best practices." For example - when I started w/ Liferay, I created my first few portlets in the extension environment. That is what all the other docs said to do, so I assumed that was the "Best practice." I've since found that hot deployable portlets are really the better way to go. Easier to manage. Until the refactoring of the service layer, you really couldn't do that. Too many things were lost and you were severely limited to what a stand-alone hot deployable portlet could do. When the services got refactored into a layer accessible by hot deployable portlets, the entire game changed. Fortunately, I learned of this change early, and was able to start work down that path. Of course, there is very little documentation re: this technique, so I've had to find a lot of stuff out on my own. Anyway - it would be nice if I could write-up what I have learned, and then go to some "roadmap" page to cross reference my NEW write-up, so any new users would learn that the extension environment is not necessarily the recommended way to do things any more.

Exactly. I started the same way, using ext. environment. I think it is not the best way to go - you end up with a lot of unnecessary dependencies, deployment of new stuff requires portal restart, etc.
Quite frankly I think Liferay itself should try to move most of the portlets that are bundled with Liferay out to separate wars (except may be admin portlet, but even they can move out). It makes footprint smaller, makes it easier to modify/extend their portlets, makes the core small.
It would also show best practices and make portlets more modular. People wouldn't ask what javascript files are used where, etc.
What do Liferay developers think about it?
thumbnail
Michael Young, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Liferay Master Beiträge: 846 Beitrittsdatum: 05.08.04 Neueste Beiträge
It's on our roadmap to move the portlets out. In 4.3.3 we made it so that you can run ServiceBuilder and generate services for your WARs. That's the first step because most of our portlets use service builder. We also abstracted interfaces for many of the classes needed to run the majority of our portlets.

In doing this we also allow each WARs services to be exposed to the service bus so that they can be consumed in some SOA type of batter.

For Liferay 4.4, we're putting the finishing touches on this abstraction, and in 5.0 we'll actually be plucking out portlets one by one. The only ones we'll leave are the core portlets (makes no sense to strip them).
thumbnail

Michael Young:
For Liferay 4.4, we're putting the finishing touches on this abstraction, and in 5.0 we'll actually be plucking out portlets one by one. The only ones we'll leave are the core portlets (makes no sense to strip them).

Hey Michael! Welcome to the Jungle! emoticon

You may want to reconsider that last point (about it making no sense to strip the core portlets out). That is especially true if you separate the service layer from the presentation layer. IMO, the architecture of Liferay should look like this:

1) Core portal/portlet container

2) Plugable Service layer (including the defined entities)

3) Plugable Presentation layer (i.e. the portlets).

Right now, the direction things are going (which I REALLY like BTW), "2 and 3" end up in the same hot deployable .WAR.

Now, take my example from several posts earlier re: the Journal portlet (and my re-writing of it). My need is based on the need to "dumb down" some of the functionality for my end users. Basically, I've taken the Liferay journal model, made some decisions and done some "pre-developerment" regarding structures and templates, and then deployed for my end users. My end users don't have choices about things like which structure to used (its canned from their perspective), expiration dates, tags, etc. I've created a "simplified" portlet that gives them only what they need (basically, an editor).

So, in this use case, I make extensive use of the Journal service layer (i.e. I use its data structures, and its service interfaces for managing said data structures), but I don't use the portlets behind the scenes (well, actually in this case, I CAN - but they are reserved for "administrators" for whom I can trust to understand the advanced features).

Anyway - I could see a desire by the community to "plug in" a different user interface. If nothing else, I've found development in JSF to be much better (in terms of initial development as well as maintenance) than JSP+Struts. To some users, the underlying technology makes zero difference - they'll consume the portlets as is. To other shops that want to customize things, I could see one group preferring the JSF approach, and another preferring the JSP+Struts approach. Forget about the downside of maintaining two versions - leave that up to the community. What we need is the OPTION to have a different "Admin console" if we want it.

So, for maximum flexability, you may want to consider allowing the presentation layer to be deployed separately from the service layer.
thumbnail
Michael Young, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Liferay Master Beiträge: 846 Beitrittsdatum: 05.08.04 Neueste Beiträge
Hey Joel emoticon

I think that makes sense. Even if the core portlets are not stripped out, what's keeping you from writing a new presentation layer as a pluggable portlet that consumes the core service?

I think the core stuff, like user admin, communities, my account, and page settings should stay.

What do you think?
thumbnail

Michael Young:
Even if the core portlets are not stripped out, what's keeping you from writing a new presentation layer as a pluggable portlet that consumes the core service?

I think the core stuff, like user admin, communities, my account, and page settings should stay.

What do you think?

That is what I am doing now (disabling some core portlets, and deploying my own that consume the service layer). So, there is NOT anything stopping me, and it definately would "work" keeping them together.

My thoughts were that if you COULD separate the deployment of the service layer from the presentation layer (the portlets), we'd have that much more flexability from both a user's perspective, as well as a development perspective. The service layer development could proceed independently of the presentation layer (and visa versa).

Really, when you think about it, the service layer should be an API that is respected, and have as much stability as possible. Changes to it should be few. At miniumum, old method signatures should remain untouched and marked as "@deprecated" when new ones are added.

The portlets on the other hand - I can see someone wanting to "improve" a porlet. So, what was once a "solid, production ready" portlet may quickly change to a "new, improved, but beta quality" portlet. Since we are shooting for quality, I could see the desire for someone to choose stability over "latest and greatest", and thus would want a Liferay bundle that consists ONLY of stable, proven portlets. I could also see a difference of opinion in how a particular portlet should be implemented from a UI perspective. Take my previous example of JSF+Facelets vs. JSP+Struts. It may be nice to re-write some of the portlets in JSF+Facelets, or some other technology as presentation technology improves. That could affect the stability of the product, however. Re-writes are ALWAYS prone to problems. It would be nice to be able to "fall back" on a set of portlets that are known to work. If they were truely "different" portlets with different portlet Ids, you could NOT "swap out" one for the other without having to re-do layouts and such.

So, I think it would just add some flexibility if the porlets and service layer could be branched and maintained as separate projects, just as there will be a lot of flexability gained by separating the current portlet/service bundle from the portal kernel.

This is not a CRITICAL issue, and I don't have really strong feelings about it, but my gut is telling me that if architectually its possible, it may have some big advantages long term, so long as it doesn't require a LOT of extra work.
brian m, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 80 Beitrittsdatum: 01.09.05 Neueste Beiträge
Michael Young:
Hey Joel emoticon

I think that makes sense. Even if the core portlets are not stripped out, what's keeping you from writing a new presentation layer as a pluggable portlet that consumes the core service?

What do you think?

Having used liferay commercially for 2 years, taken the pain of trying to customize it, I only have one piece of advice long term. Simplify, simplify, simplify. That for me means a simple small portal container containing zero portlets. Enable the portlets to be dropped in separately. This really is what I do for my own portlet development, deploying them as wars. Version 5 I really hope has the ability to start up the container with ZERO portlets whatsoever. I know you guys will probably think it should ship with core portlets, but believe me, people will always want to customize it in a way you can't predict. Why not give them the flexibility. My vote, strip out ALL the portlets if possible.

cheers,
Brian
thumbnail

brian m:
Having used liferay commercially for 2 years, taken the pain of trying to customize it, I only have one piece of advice long term. Simplify, simplify, simplify. That for me means a simple small portal container containing zero portlets. Enable the portlets to be dropped in separately. This really is what I do for my own portlet development, deploying them as wars. Version 5 I really hope has the ability to start up the container with ZERO portlets whatsoever. I know you guys will probably think it should ship with core portlets, but believe me, people will always want to customize it in a way you can't predict. Why not give them the flexibility. My vote, strip out ALL the portlets if possible.

At present, Liferay ships with several "as bundled with" packages, on the main download page (without even getting into the subversion download page).

What about having three basic downloads:

• All the bells and whistles. Even if you don't need to bundle them separately, all the portlets bundled in for those that want it. Kind of like the forums, where someone said, "You're making a mistake by not post-locking root-level threads," and then there being people who didn't like that, I think that if you don't have an "all the bells and whistles in one bundle" distribution available, you'll lose people even if it's good architecture to make most of the bells and whistles optional and not built into the core.
  • A "minimal but reasonable set of portlets" bundle.
  • An "everything taken out that you can take out" bundle, for people who want to use Liferay for some hackishly clever purpose that none of us can imagine. ("A successful tool is one that is used for a purpose that its original designer never imagined.")

Or maybe just two... but you lose some people if you don't offer a "brand spankin' new super duper nifty honkin' all-the-bells-and-whistles-we-can-give-you" distribution that is pre-bundled and easy to install.

(A lot of what got my attention initially were things about Liferay that some people want to move out of the bundled distribution.)

Thoughts?

Jonathan Hayward

Jonathan Hayward:

At present, Liferay ships with several "as bundled with" packages, on the main download page (without even getting into the subversion download page).

What about having three basic downloads:

• All the bells and whistles. Even if you don't need to bundle them separately, all the portlets bundled in for those that want it. Kind of like the forums, where someone said, "You're making a mistake by not post-locking root-level threads," and then there being people who didn't like that, I think that if you don't have an "all the bells and whistles in one bundle" distribution available, you'll lose people even if it's good architecture to make most of the bells and whistles optional and not built into the core.
  • A "minimal but reasonable set of portlets" bundle.
  • An "everything taken out that you can take out" bundle, for people who want to use Liferay for some hackishly clever purpose that none of us can imagine. ("A successful tool is one that is used for a purpose that its original designer never imagined.")

Thoughts?

excellent idea Jonathan. Plus 1 for this from me.
thumbnail

Jonathan Hayward:
(A lot of what got my attention initially were things about Liferay that some people want to move out of the bundled distribution.)

Thoughts?

When I'm talking about stripping out portlets from the kernel, I'm talking about architectually. How distributions are made, and what goes into them, are an entirely different matter.

I think there are two general classes of "users" of Liferay here. Those that download a Liferay bundle, fire it up, and use it as is. Maybe they modify a theme or two.

Others check-out the source code from SVN, and build a development environment. They, in effect, build their OWN distribution.

Its that second group that would want to strip out many (if not all) of the portlets, replacing them with something else. This second "need" is a limited use case. There aren't as many people in the second group as in the first.

I don't know if making a distribution that has ZERO portlets in it would be valuable at all. As a developer, however, I'd like to be able to issue an Ant command and build the kernel as a stand-alone .WAR file (or .EAR), and be able to deploy a "blank" system.

As to priorities, I'd put this one low on the list. My real thoughts re: "strip them ALL" out is there is no TECHNICAL reason that the "admin" portlet is really more or less important than the "journal" portlet or the "image gallery" portlet, or the "forums" for that matter. If you can drop in or remove the service layer and UI for a forum system, why not be able to do it with the entire "organization -> user" model also?
thumbnail

I've created a monster. This thread has become a classic example of why threaded forums are essential for technical topics. You an clearly see where what starts as a simple discussion of likes and dislikes, quickly turns into a detailed discussion of roadmaps, documentations, future strategies, etc.. This is not to knock the content that emerges. Not at all. But the result is a mushrooming, linear conversation that is quickly losing shape, focus, and coherence.

While it's great that Jorge has jumped in with his knowledge and enthusiasm, the level of detail that he and joel have embarked upon just blows the flow of the thread to smithereens. Jorge, or a moderator, with real moderator tools, could have instantly moved that entire sub-thread to a new forum, subforum, or thread dealing with documentation and its various aspects. It's an invaluable discussion that is now buried in more general thread, and will soon be lost to most newbs, or people interested in documentation in general. A documentary forum, with subforums for "roadmaps, javadocs," etc., is where it should be moved.

Obviouly, Jorge didn't anticipate where he was going when the started, but once the depth became apparent, it was probably time to move it to its own thread. A great tool in all forums, might be a "Fork" (Split?) button. When pressed, rights permitting, it asks the user to name a brand new thread (and perhaps parent forum to continue the discussion). A trail marker is dropped in the current thread that says something like:
"This discussion continues in a new thread: Forum Foo / Lorum Ipsum Migata Deedum dooey"

PS
I think the docs aspsects of this thread are too important to lose, and regardless of method, it shoudl be transported to a docs forum

Jorge's roadmap page is excellent.

Joel Kozikowski:

When I'm talking about stripping out portlets from the kernel, I'm talking about architectually. How distributions are made, and what goes into them, are an entirely different matter.

I think there are two general classes of "users" of Liferay here. Those that download a Liferay bundle, fire it up, and use it as is. Maybe they modify a theme or two.

Others check-out the source code from SVN, and build a development environment. They, in effect, build their OWN distribution.

Its that second group that would want to strip out many (if not all) of the portlets, replacing them with something else. This second "need" is a limited use case. There aren't as many people in the second group as in the first.

I don't know if making a distribution that has ZERO portlets in it would be valuable at all. As a developer, however, I'd like to be able to issue an Ant command and build the kernel as a stand-alone .WAR file (or .EAR), and be able to deploy a "blank" system.

As to priorities, I'd put this one low on the list. My real thoughts re: "strip them ALL" out is there is no TECHNICAL reason that the "admin" portlet is really more or less important than the "journal" portlet or the "image gallery" portlet, or the "forums" for that matter. If you can drop in or remove the service layer and UI for a forum system, why not be able to do it with the entire "organization -> user" model also?

I was also thinking of the benefits of the architecture. One big problem I have with the liferay architecture is that it doesn't separate what are logically separate things, ie, portlets vs portal container. I think there is a big benefit to delivering a stand alone portal container with zero portlets in it. Firstly, newbies understand straight away the difference, the idea that they have to drop portlets (like google widgets) into the container. However, a far bigger advantage that I think will occur is that you'll get people being able to make the container smaller, faster, better. Simplify the architecture, and people will more easily be able to help. Hopefully long term what will happen then is the portal container will become rip-roaringly fast and stable and have very little development on it, and everyone can concentrate on writing/sharing portlets.
thumbnail

I think there is a big benefit to delivering a stand alone portal container with zero portlets in it. Firstly, newbies understand straight away the difference, the idea that they have to drop portlets (like google widgets) into the container. However, a far bigger advantage that I think will occur is that you'll get people being able to make the container smaller, faster, better.

Bryan, I may not be following the point of this correctly, but when you say newbies, do you mean final users? Or system admins? For either one, I have never seen a system that made sense to end-users if it did not have some kind of sample content to orient them (or the admin) first. Before you say they understand google widgets straight away, I suggest you test that theory on your mom. I do this with users all the time. Trust me, they don't have a clue what a gadget/widget even is,let alone what to do with it. The entire concept of drag and drop is still a challenge for many. What we take for granted, as a long time system usesr, completely befuddles the PDU (plain dumb user).
thumbnail

Rich Sezov:
My only concern (as is my general concern with the Wiki) is finding the information. Many people don't like the Wiki because the perception is that it's a bunch of articles thrown in there without any organization at all. We're working to address that (actually, that was being addressed before I got here), but it still to a large extent suffers from that. That's why I kind of see the Wiki as the "living" documentation, where we can stage information and then later present it to end users in a more systematic fashion.

May I make a suggestion on that?

I'm interested in cognitive science (an interdisciplinary study of how people think), usability (which applies cognitive science to making computer software that meshes well with how people work and think), and information architecture (which overlaps with usability and is about organizing information so that people find their way to what they want, often without thinking about "information architecture" concerns: if it's good, you rarely notice it).

The single best resource I've read on information architecture is published by O'Reilly, and is called Information Architecture for the World Wide Web (presently in its third edition). If I may paraphrase what you've said, in that book's lingo, you're working to improve the wiki's information architecture. (Keep up the good work!)

If you want to bounce anything off me in this revision, you are more than welcome to contact me. Information Architecture for the World Wide Web is "beg, borrow, or steal" stuff, and on a budget I found it in my local library.

With thanks,
Jonathan Hayward
Jonathan's Corner: A Glimpse into Eastern Orthodoxy
thumbnail

Well, this thread certainly has moved in interesting directions. But it seems to have led to some productive threads and actions. I wonder if it should continue here, or be closed, and restarted in the Portal subforum. Decisions, decisions.
atul patel, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Regular Member Beiträge: 192 Beitrittsdatum: 18.11.06 Neueste Beiträge
Hi all.

Johnathon... you have some interesting stories.... The supermodel one made me LOL.

I thought I would answer some of your comments and let out some of my frustrations as well. I don't want to sound negative, and I hope everyone understands that I really do like and continue to use the Liferay platform though on more than one occasion I considered stopping and hiring a bunch of php(gasp) developers... but that is another story.

I use the journal system for content authoring. I've made improvements, liferay changes things, I refix, they change again, delay, delay, delay and mad frustration. I originally decided to make my own branch of the portlets, then as I got involved / met with the liferay folks I decided to go back and use Liferay's portlets instead with the intent to contribnute -- it was one of my biggest mistakes to try to maintain my changes as they make changes. I even provided some of my code updates which included selection of multiple of articles which was not accepted or reviewed in vain. But that said, it would be great to get feedback on the submission,, because if the code doesn't make it in, then one has to plan for constant patching.

I know the guys are very busy and that part has been very frustrating. That said, I think the product... wait that is the issue. Liferay Portal as someone else pointed out should not be thought of as a product but as a development platform. I still struggle with that because I think the platform is very close to being product worthy and whole heartedly agree that rather than add new features, focus on turning Liferay portlets into product quality distributions or perhaps branch the portlets such that community members can take ownership of the portlet(s) and make them really great. Liferay needs better product / change management and one of the ways to handle that would be to break the portlets out from the core.

2 HUGE Forum gripes:
1. the forums don't let you reply from your email (it creates a new thread)
2. the forum emails, don't include a hyperlink back to the liferay site and to the thread
(please please please fix, one of those two)

Some lessons I've learned while developing on Liferay:

Pick a release version of liferay you are going to use and stick with it.

If you are going to develop against the 4.3.x branch or trunk, be careful of doing svn update or rather schedule time to review all the code changes to see how it may affect your system.
based on it. Its just too painful to keep "recustomizing"

If you want to contribute, be sure to schedule a code review with the developers. I've posted a number of updates/patches that don't make it into the system (it gets disheartening..) But do try, as it always feels great, when they do implement a patch that you created.

Turn off all the portlets you don't need. If your users can add the portlets, they will ask you to support it...

A couple of good things I do want to say. The team has been very supportive and has implemented changes into the system to help support some of the work/improvements I'm doing.

If anyone is interested drop me a line as I am considering publishing my own Liferay Enhancements as separate portlets / code patches with a focus on website authoring and usability. Knowing people's interest level may help motivate me. Feel free to email me at atul.ducati@gmail.com.

I'm at a tipping point regarding the Asset Publisher and was wondering if anyone else is using it.. If so, perhaps we can start another thread to talk about.

(I apologize if the post sounds scattered and disjointed.. writing it over interruptions)
thumbnail

atul patel:
Johnathon... you have some interesting stories.... The supermodel one made me LOL.

Thank you. But I'm not the only one making analogies; I can't take credit for the supermodel one.

I appreciate your and others' contributions; I think remarks like yours can be immensely valuable, even if this has probably been a very difficult thread for Liferay people to read.

It may be easy to overlook, but more than one Liferay staffer has read this stuff, listened, and apparently tried to give very serious consideration to what people have been saying. Not to put too fine a point on it, but that's hard. Or at least it's difficult for me; I would not find it at all easy if I got a thread like this commenting on problems in my writing.

Three cheers to Liferay on that (BIG) point! I doubt if this has been easy, but I'd really like the community to be able to say, "This helped us to go from being on the verge of greatness to greatness itself."

With thanks,
Jonathan Hayward
thumbnail

Jonathan Hayward:
It may be easy to overlook, but more than one Liferay staffer has read this stuff, listened, and apparently tried to give very serious consideration to what people have been saying.

Yes, that is best seen in the forum categories, but even that seems to have been a quick fix that didn't consider even one of the many posts about the forums, category choices, and overall structure. It was not discussed in any way with anyone, and the result, that I see, is less than optimal category names (and concepts), and a top liferay thread that should not allow any posts, but which is instead, getting all of them. That is NOT the fault of subscategories, but rather, not thinking things through, or discussing it with the many people who pushed for the change in the first place.

But perhaps those tweaks can be made today. What really disturnbs me is how often people have bitched about things like email reply links, one line RSS feeds, lack of rational navigation links, and other things that could be fixed in a single day. But not only do they go months without being addressed, but they never seeem to get discussed by Liferay people in the forums in any detail, unless you just happen to get lucky and find a remark that suggests it's being worked on. This latest forum change is a classic example, Once the change was made, one would think that David, the new administrator, would have been anticipatied a lot of chatter and feedback, and been ready to respond to it before a day's worth of new posts piled up. In fact, no one has not replied to any of the remarks, thus far. It's like "We made the change. It's done. Cya!" Respect for Joel's aforementioned "Culture of Quality" would suggest that Liferay would be ready for the feedback and possible problems, and not just slap a band-aid on the problem and move on.

The only notable exception to this, is Jorge, who seems quick to interact with the community about ideas, fixes, strategies, and even the new feature request wiki. Most of the other Liferay staff activity I have seen seems mostly to happen in the corporate blog. As exists in most OTHER community projects, there needs to be a forum ONLY about bugs and their fixes, and feature requests. That is the only way people can stop requesting the same things again and again. Good notions can migrate to the new Feature Requests WIki Page.

These forums are the one portlet that any new prospective liferay user/customer is going to be interested in. If not because they want the portlet itself, but because it is one of the most visible parts of both Liferay software and its community, and therefore, reflects the overall "gestalt" of the Liferay experience. I think it's folly that they don't take a week out and focus on making it as good, or better than any forum out there. The core is darn good. But a core is not what people see and use most often.
thumbnail

Jonathan Hayward:

The single best resource I've read on information architecture is published by O'Reilly, and is called Information Architecture for the World Wide Web (presently in its third edition). If I may paraphrase what you've said, in that book's lingo, you're working to improve the wiki's information architecture. (Keep up the good work!)

Hey Jonathan,

Thanks for the pointer to the book. I may pick it up--it sounds like it will be helpful.

I also want to make sure that I note that I haven't been the one improving the Wiki's information architecture. I do plan on getting involved, but that's been the effort of others, and was started before I got here. The documentation has been a known issue for a long time at Liferay; I'm just the most recent addition to the effort. emoticon
thumbnail

Rich Sezov:
Jonathan Hayward:

Hey Jonathan,

Thanks for the pointer to the book. I may pick it up--it sounds like it will be helpful.

I also want to make sure that I note that I haven't been the one improving the Wiki's information architecture. I do plan on getting involved, but that's been the effort of others, and was started before I got here. The documentation has been a known issue for a long time at Liferay; I'm just the most recent addition to the effort. emoticon

I'm still glad that you're working on it. emoticon

There are some ways where, in applying that book, remembering and knowing how an outsider thinks may be valuable, as well as having access to insider understanding of how things work. You might be well poised...

And thanks for passing along the note.

Thanks,
Jonathan Hayward
thumbnail

Joel Kozikowski:
It takes some maturity (and some serious battle scars) to realize that once you've raised the bar to a certain level, continuing to raise the bar doesn't really make that much difference in a sale. If Liferay were "behind" the competition as far as features, I'd understand, but IMO it has a lead. Its the one with the sexy interface. So, if you are dating a super model, do you really think it is necessary to have her do some cosmetic surgery to make her look "even better?" She's already better looking that 99% of the women in the world! Now, think of the old adage - for every good looking woman, there is some man tired of her s@#t. Wouldn't most of us really prefer an attractive partner without a lot of baggage vs. some SPECTACULAR looking partner that is a pain in the ass to live with every day!?

There is one other thing I wanted to say about this, and wanted to say enough to quote an illustration that some people would wince at:

At work, we are evaluating some use of Alfresco even though I've had real difficulties getting Alfresco to show up in Liferay at all. I am doing most of the research, and I think I've found something that may be obvious to others who have investigated Liferay and Alfresco, but is worth saying here: Liferay seems to have been made by people who really care about making a good portal, and realized they needed to include a CMS to do that, while Alfresco seems to have been made by people who really care about making a good CMS, and realized that it would be a good idea to include a portal. It's like Liferay has really wanted to make the best shirts they can, and so they make trousers so that people will have something to wear with their shirts, while Alfresco is trying really hard to make good trousers, and is also making shirts so that people will have something to wear with their trousers.

I know other people have gone much further than just thinking about full Liferay-Alfresco integration; there's a wiki article that makes me wish the project had advanced further. But I think that this is strategically desirable. Let me outline two major reasons:

• A shirt from Liferay and trousers from Alfresco will attract people you simply won't get if you have to wear Liferay trousers if you're going to have a Liferay shirt.
  • Liferay staff and community resources are finite. There are a lot of good things Liferay is doing that we would have to sacrifice to really compete with Alfresco on CMS grounds... and if Liferay doesn't have to compete with Alfresco trousers, that is a lot of time and energy Liferay can put into shirts that NO ONE can compete with. (And, possibly, Liferay employees could be less frazzled.)

I would advise less energy going into competing with Alfresco on CMS grounds and more energy into offloading a major area of work to Alfresco and being free to make even better shirts.

Hoping this helps spark some thought,
Jonathan Hayward
thumbnail
Björn Ryding, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Liferay Master Beiträge: 582 Beitrittsdatum: 16.05.07 Neueste Beiträge
I think Liferay tries to stick with their shirts and make it as easy as possible to wear whatever trousers (repository) you prefer. At least I hope this is the case. Because, although I occasionally buy a pair of trousers from Alfresco, I do not long for the day when I have to buy some Alfresco trousers in order to wear my favourite shirt.
thumbnail
Roman Hoyenko, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Liferay Master Beiträge: 878 Beitrittsdatum: 08.10.07 Neueste Beiträge
Just wrote a big post and my browser crashed.

So, I'll be short this time:

Some excellent posts about quality. I totally agree with it. I think the core should be rock-solid and error-prone.
Take hot deploy - you can look at the forum and see how many problems people experience with something that should be very simple to do. In the core it is just two directories set up, but a lot of people confuse the two (you can lower the confusion by describing the dirs better in the portlet and checking that they exist).
Also some exceptions that I described here:
http://wiki.liferay.com/index.php/Plugin_Deployment_Troubleshooting
are easily fixable/avoidable.
I think this is essential the things like this are polished/bug free. It doesn't matter how many additional portlets you have if you can't deploy them.
thumbnail

Rich Sezov:
The problem starts when you have to actually start configuring things. For the portlets, right now, you have to just click around and figure things out. I have a web site outside of Liferay (predating my employment here) which uses Liferay's shopping cart. I can say that while I never experienced any bugs with the portlet (it does work well; my site sells stuff all the time and its Paypal integration--once you figure it out--works great), I would have saved a lot of time if I had had some guide on how to use it.

Rich, your site URL got my attention; I came in contact with Dick Wulf about The Minstrel's Song, another Christian role playing game. (I worked particularly hard on the cultures--want to check it out?) He very kindly sent me a boxed set--free, which I particularly appreciated as I had very little money--along with a
book he'd written. Could you send him my greetings?

Wishing I could say more,
Jonathan Hayward
thumbnail

Jonathan Hayward:
Could you send him my greetings?

Hey Jonathan,

I can certainly do that.
thumbnail

Joel Kozikowski:

There are a lot of peopel here who want to help. But, you guys can't take the attitude of "the community will help itself." Otherwise, many of us here may start throwing the "f" word around.

Joel.. having only been here a few weeks, I can see your frustration in more than a few places, but you articulate better. I've spoken to a number of former Liferay users who abandoned their efforts for precisely the reasons you suggest.
And the portal "tryout" gallery was something we assumed "must" exist, the day we arrived. And yet, we were rather stunned to learn that it's didn't. When we browsed the list of portlets, all we could do is install them to even see what they looked like. Imagine if a visitor had been able to actually use one!

If I were Liferay, I would consider following that Jivespace/Clearspace model. Luring customers in with one or more limited team-based products, and then impressing the hell out of them with features, community, and that quality of culture. And I would insist that all technical staff spend just 15 minutes a day in the forums. (I just counted 17 clearspace personnnel who were very active in their forums). Given those things, signing them up for a pro support plan is a percentages game. It can't miss.

Liferay seems like a great group of nice, talented people who clearly want to be the best they can be. I just think they're missing the real gold mine that a really vibrant community can be for them, sooner than later. Done right, it can save them far more resources than they invest.
thumbnail

Matte Black:
Liferay seems like a great group of nice, talented people who clearly want to be the best they can be. I just think they're missing the real gold mine that a really vibrant community can be for them, sooner than later. Done right, it can save them far more resources than they invest.

There was one other thing I was thinking about on this point.

Assuming you've seen A Wonderful Life, one of the scenes is one where the main character is invited to get into a chemical company, and if I'm remembering the words correctly, he's given an invitation to join "on the ground floor." And as the movie goes on, he can't take the chance, but everyone who takes that opportunity becomes massively wealthy.

I see the Liferay community, and use of Liferay, as something I have an opportunity to get onto "on the ground floor," and I don't think the problems we are all talking about need be final if Liferay learns from these growing pains as they have already done by saying "We have given subcategories a high priority now," for which I am quite grateful.

I'm really glad to be getting into using Liferay on the ground floor. But I also really hope it doesn't stay there.

With regards,
Jonathan Hayward
thumbnail

David Truong:
So here's what I'll get to happen a.s.a.p. We'll add subcategories because that takes like 10 mins even though it might not be too helpful now, it's better than nothing.
David

Thanks David,

I think that will be a big help. Truthly, I have never understoond not archiving forums anyway, by year(s). Most good answers bubble back up anyway, and someone can always link back to an old post. It would really remove a ton of crap that just clutters up most searches.

Bryan, welcome back!
thumbnail

David,

When you make the new categories, how about moving just this entire thread into one called "Future of Liferay."