Foren

Continuous building and integration tool

Giuseppe Fiameni, geändert vor 15 Jahren.

Continuous building and integration tool

New Member Beiträge: 8 Beitrittsdatum: 24.09.08 Neueste Beiträge
Dear all,
I am involved in the development of a Liferay based portal where the componets - say portlets - are being developed by different working teams mainly using the Plug-in SDK. To keep the development under control we decided to adopt a continuous building and integration tool. Making some preliminary tests with Apache Continuum we faced a lot of problems configuring the building process. Since each portlet requires the entire Plug-in SDK context to compile, it is impossible to Continuum to automatically checkout the code and compile it unless either the portlet itself contains the SDK context or the directory where the code is being checked out is the portlet dir of the SDK tree.
Has anyone managed to use Apache Continuum ?
Has anyone managed to use any other continuous building tool ? How did you configure it ?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Giuseppe
shan syed, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

RE: Continuous building and integration tool

New Member Beiträge: 11 Beitrittsdatum: 16.06.09 Neueste Beiträge
I'm working on a project where we completely mavenized our liferay portlet projects, so there is no dependence on the Plugins-SDK (we've had the portlets building fine through a few liferay version changes, so I still can't really see the point of using the SDK for simple portlet application development); since we have purely maven projects, it was extremely easy to get them under continuous integration (we use Hudson).

The themes are a different story however; we do not want to create our own maven builds for our themes since we feel that the Liferay's theme system may change too - so what we did was place the SDK on the build machine, and simply invoke the ANT scripts on the theme dirs
thumbnail
David García González, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

Regular Member Beiträge: 127 Beitrittsdatum: 14.07.09 Neueste Beiträge
I have a Hudson server to compile several projects of several kinds (web apps, jars, etc..).

I wanted to use this server to compile liferay plugins also. What is the best way to compile and build liferay plugins in a continuous integration tool like Hudson?

Thanks!
thumbnail
jelmer kuperus, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1191 Beitrittsdatum: 10.03.10 Neueste Beiträge
we for now settled on checking in the sdk, and buildserver's build properties with the project.

All other options where too much of a pain to get running and we had to make changes to the sdk anyway. (why oh why does it not have a test target?)

building it then is trivial and not much different than building any other ant project

given the chance to start over i would consider using the maven support instead but it was still unreleased when our project started out
Harish Tulsiani, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 2 Beitrittsdatum: 16.03.11 Neueste Beiträge
Hello,

I am using atlassian bamboo for CI. It is right that each plugin needs sdk context to compile, So I figured out 2 ways to integrate:
For both ways, I have to maintain the complete sdk in the scm along with the updated build properties file.
1. Configure for each plugin a separate builder, which checks out and makes the build.
2. Write a small script which checks out the complete sdk + plugins from scm and then takes 2 arguments (first for the plugin name portlet or ext or theme and second for the task - compile or deploy etc) and then this script executes the liferay build by calling ant compile. Use this script as a builder and pass the arguments for separate plugins.

Of course I opted the second approach.