Foren

Liferay Bounty Program

thumbnail
Ray Auge, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Liferay Bounty Program

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1197 Beitrittsdatum: 08.02.05 Neueste Beiträge
Hey Everyone,

We're wondering if members of our great community would be interested participating in a "Bounty Program"?

A "Bounty" is some sort of "prize" which is offered in exchange for the completion of some predefined task. So, the bounty might be "Solve Bug LET-#### for $x" or "Document Blah for Tee-Shirt", etc.

If you're still not sure what a "Bounty Program" is, there is a great example on WikiPedia's Bounty board.

Anyway, such a program is a type of symbiotic relationship between an open source project and it's community. It's a win-win scenario for everyone. Liferay Portal is a very large application and there are many areas were we could use your help to implement, fix, test, and/or document features.

Anyway, we're not sure what types of bounties you would all be interested in seeing: t-shirts? hats? cash? gift certs? all of the above?

Your feedback here is the key, so please pipe in and let us know if this interests you.

Thanks for your time,

Ray
thumbnail
Shivani Chandna, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

RE: Liferay Bounty Program

Junior Member Beiträge: 54 Beitrittsdatum: 17.07.07 Neueste Beiträge
I think this is a good idea. Even if everyone is not able to sufficiently contribute to the bug fixing because lack of expertise in the understanding of existing class behavior/code flow - at least - we can contribute in testing/document features - prior to the release of the versions.

Quality, needs to be maintained across the releases - and definitely looks to be challenging for the liferay core team going by the number of issues opened everyday on the JIRA.

Regards,
Shivani.
thumbnail
Josh Asbury, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Expert Beiträge: 498 Beitrittsdatum: 08.09.06 Neueste Beiträge
One of the areas where I think you could get some significant traction would be for allowing a dedicated testing instance of Liferay built off of the latest branch. This would let the hardcore users test new functionality as it's being developed, assist with documentation, etc. I think that most all of us would gladly contribute time to something like this. If you gave me a place to test the latest code without having to re-work my development system *and* threw a hat my way, man, life couldn't get much better.
thumbnail
Huy Ho, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Regular Member Beiträge: 177 Beitrittsdatum: 19.04.06 Neueste Beiträge
I'm all for this if it helps getting documentations out on time with the product release.
thumbnail
SLADE ..., geändert vor 16 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 19 Beitrittsdatum: 07.11.06 Neueste Beiträge
Sounds like a awsome idea!
thumbnail
Sorin Silaghi, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 39 Beitrittsdatum: 10.09.07 Neueste Beiträge
Awesome idea... I think money would be appropriate just for serious bugs/problems and/or new features ... BTW you could also put up a page for bounty proposals ... Some individuals or companies might be interested in getting a new feature so they might help sponsor a bounty...

T-shirts and other merchandise could be given out for different other activities: you could organize online marathons for documentation or translating and give everybody something for participating ... You could also give out stuff based on activity on the forum and the wiki ...
thumbnail
Brian Kim, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Expert Beiträge: 311 Beitrittsdatum: 17.08.04 Neueste Beiträge
Sorin Silaghi:
T-shirts and other merchandise could be given out for different other activities: you could organize online marathons for documentation or translating and give everybody something for participating ... You could also give out stuff based on activity on the forum and the wiki ...

That's not a bad idea as well. I was kicking around the idea of giving out t-shirts if a particular user exceeds a x amount of posts on the forum. This could help facilitate the growth of "community gurus".
ferry hut, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 30 Beitrittsdatum: 02.11.06 Neueste Beiträge
Great Idea, lets do this so that the community is alive and keep helping fresh starters.
thumbnail
Jason Amy, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 77 Beitrittsdatum: 05.07.06 Neueste Beiträge
Josh Asbury:
One of the areas where I think you could get some significant traction would be for allowing a dedicated testing instance of Liferay built off of the latest branch. This would let the hardcore users test new functionality as it's being developed, assist with documentation, etc. I think that most all of us would gladly contribute time to something like this. If you gave me a place to test the latest code without having to re-work my development system *and* threw a hat my way, man, life couldn't get much better.

Yeah, I agree 110% with Josh - a test instance say every night, that is auto built/deployed/unit-tested in a 'clean' environment. It's possible then, that suites of automation could be written (HttpUnit/HtmlUnit) to try to build up acceptance tests. Others could also see what new features were being worked on, test out existing features, etc. Could be that this baseline system is used to determine when a release is 'ready'?

-Jason
subhash ranjan, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 19 Beitrittsdatum: 10.09.07 Neueste Beiträge
Hi everyone,
Its a great idea and helps everyone to get a good product
thumbnail
Ivano Carrara, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Expert Beiträge: 345 Beitrittsdatum: 03.07.05 Neueste Beiträge
I vote for this great idea.
Not matter about the kind of prize.

Ciao,
Ivano Carrara
thumbnail
Roman Hoyenko, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Liferay Master Beiträge: 878 Beitrittsdatum: 08.10.07 Neueste Beiträge
I think a good bounty would be some kind of dev. support emoticon I often have questions about liferay and development on liferay, but it's very hard to get an answer on forums.
thumbnail
Josh Asbury, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Expert Beiträge: 498 Beitrittsdatum: 08.09.06 Neueste Beiträge
Roman Hoyenko:
I think a good bounty would be some kind of dev. support emoticon I often have questions about liferay and development on liferay, but it's very hard to get an answer on forums.

Liferay already provides that.
thumbnail
Roman Hoyenko, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Liferay Master Beiträge: 878 Beitrittsdatum: 08.10.07 Neueste Beiträge
Josh Asbury:
Roman Hoyenko:

Liferay already provides that.

Yes, it does (we even used it at some point), but we were talking about bounty program, so as a bounty Liferay could have provided some support - let's say some limited time support or limited number of issues.
thumbnail
Fuad Efendi, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Regular Member Beiträge: 180 Beitrittsdatum: 05.04.07 Neueste Beiträge
Ray Auge:
...there is a great example on WikiPedia's Bounty board

- this is bad... "$10 USD an article, to a max of 2"...

Support via Forums as a bounty... already provided? Please, add some categories to forums. For instance, Performance Tuning, External Systems / Email, and etc...

You can always send t-shirts to active forum participants as a bounty emoticon

Here is another emoticon candidate, please share your thoughts:
- link on your home page to contributor's home page (if it is non-profit?), with simple thank you note.
thumbnail
Matte Black, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Liferay Bounty Program

Junior Member Beiträge: 79 Beitrittsdatum: 23.10.07 Neueste Beiträge
Quite a few have discussed this "bounty" idea for getting Liferay code developed quickly and professionally.

If someone who knows the Liferay project and players much better than I do (I've only been here a few days), well here's a Bounty management "crowd-funding" tool that you could get started with right now, and implement a program for Liferay.

http://www.bountyup.com/index.php

I have looked around for similar sites, and this seems to be the one getting some use. Others, like BountySource seem moribund. It's a tricky idea, but seems it can work. Just needs someone to try.

If anyone knows of better, more software oriented bounty management sites, please post them here.
thumbnail
David Truong, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Expert Beiträge: 322 Beitrittsdatum: 24.03.05 Neueste Beiträge
can liferay employees participate =P
thumbnail
Matte Black, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 79 Beitrittsdatum: 23.10.07 Neueste Beiträge
David Truong:

No! Only Jedi Masters with great Java Docs habits emoticon
Suganda Sidharta, geändert vor 15 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 69 Beitrittsdatum: 01.03.07 Neueste Beiträge
Matte Black:
David Truong:

No! Only Jedi Masters with great Java Docs habits emoticon

only for Jedi Masters ?

hmm i want also participate in that emoticon but i am not jedi masters emoticon

i agree with Liferay Bounty Program . 1 vote from me emoticon

so when LR will come up with this Bounty program ?

Thanks,

Suganda.E.S
Todd Khozein, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

New Member Beitrag: 1 Beitrittsdatum: 03.12.07 Neueste Beiträge
Hi Matte,

If you or someone else on the community can explicitly define the success metrics of the bounty (exactly what the individual closing the Bounty needs to accomplish) then I can post it on software.bountyup.com which is BountyUp's meta site for software bounties. Recently Flock put some opensource bounties on there as well.
thumbnail
Christopher M, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 5 Beitrittsdatum: 28.09.07 Neueste Beiträge
I think it's a great idea. Contributions should, I'm sure you'll agree, conform to certain standards so as to maintain if not even improve the quality of information, and readability.
thumbnail
Alex Owen Wallace, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Liferay Master Beiträge: 640 Beitrittsdatum: 05.11.07 Neueste Beiträge
votes+1;
thumbnail
Luke McLean, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 46 Beitrittsdatum: 16.08.07 Neueste Beiträge
I have seen some forums where the original poster determines whether a reply actually solved their issue and awards points. This (if tied to a reward scheme) would help move the determination from the liferay staff to the user community. Reward Points could then be swapped for merchandise. Obviously anything that you set up can be abused so there will need to be some careful control points. How to measure wiki contributions for documentation would be harder however I am sure that there is a way.
thumbnail
zaheer mohammed saddapalli, geändert vor 16 Jahren.

Liferay Bounty Program

Regular Member Beiträge: 165 Beitrittsdatum: 15.01.08 Neueste Beiträge
This is great idea man.

It will help all liferay community technically.
Nathan McMinn, geändert vor 15 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 61 Beitrittsdatum: 14.10.05 Neueste Beiträge
Thumbs up from me as well. I'd love to see something like this take shape.
thumbnail
Madhu Yadav, geändert vor 15 Jahren.

Regular Member Beiträge: 118 Beitrittsdatum: 23.01.09 Neueste Beiträge
I have seen some forums where the original poster determines whether a reply actually solved their issue and awards points. This (if tied to a reward scheme) would help move the determination from the liferay staff to the user community. Reward Points could then be swapped for merchandise. Obviously anything that you set up can be abused so there will need to be some careful control points. How to measure wiki contributions for documentation would be harder however I am sure that there is a way

This sounds practical...
votes++ emoticon
Ed Skidmore, geändert vor 15 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 18 Beitrittsdatum: 16.07.08 Neueste Beiträge
+1 thumbs up
thumbnail
M Murali Krishna Reddy, geändert vor 15 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 62 Beitrittsdatum: 16.05.08 Neueste Beiträge
Interesting emoticon Can sun employees participate in this program ?
thumbnail
B O, geändert vor 15 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 59 Beitrittsdatum: 03.04.07 Neueste Beiträge
I am interested. Looking forward to the details.
thumbnail
Andreas Chemnitz, geändert vor 15 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 3 Beitrittsdatum: 05.06.08 Neueste Beiträge
Ray Augé:
Hey Everyone,

We're wondering if members of our great community would be interested participating in a "Bounty Program"?

A "Bounty" is some sort of "prize" which is offered in exchange for the completion of some predefined task. So, the bounty might be "Solve Bug LET-#### for $x" or "Document Blah for Tee-Shirt", etc.

If you're still not sure what a "Bounty Program" is, there is a great example on WikiPedia's Bounty board.

Anyway, such a program is a type of symbiotic relationship between an open source project and it's community. It's a win-win scenario for everyone. Liferay Portal is a very large application and there are many areas were we could use your help to implement, fix, test, and/or document features.

Anyway, we're not sure what types of bounties you would all be interested in seeing: t-shirts? hats? cash? gift certs? all of the above?

Your feedback here is the key, so please pipe in and let us know if this interests you.

Thanks for your time,

Ray

Everything sounds good to me ;-)

When will it start...?
thumbnail
Chirag Suthar, geändert vor 15 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 41 Beitrittsdatum: 10.01.08 Neueste Beiträge
votes+1, but can you provide more detail on "Bounty Program".
Is it Still Running ?
thumbnail
J L Weis, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 44 Beitrittsdatum: 17.06.09 Neueste Beiträge
Hey Ray. You asked nearly 2 years ago. What ever happened to this? Was there a bounty program and was it successful? If not, considering the growth of the community since 9/2007, would it be practical today? J
thumbnail
Steffen Schuler, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Regular Member Beiträge: 137 Beitrittsdatum: 12.05.08 Neueste Beiträge
I also think such a program would be useful in terms of a developer to developer program... like I need a theme/portlet and be willing to pay 500 whatever kind of (virtual or real) currency. Thinking not only in terms of direct improvements for liferay but also in terms of a market place... this would be great! Maybe I should develop such a portlet and commit it ; )
thumbnail
Imtiaz Ahmed, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 57 Beitrittsdatum: 02.01.08 Neueste Beiträge
Sounds goooood! Let's get started on this....