Foren

James Falkner - Closing thread

gordon daniels, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

James Falkner - Closing thread

Liferay Master Beiträge: 797 Beitrittsdatum: 24.08.08 Neueste Beiträge
James: I am disappointed that you would close the thread "Liferay Sucks". I am sure you wish the thread did not exist but someone felt compeled to start it. Who cares if its negative. I did not see anything that was politically incorrect. Let them have there say for however long the thread has an interest to people. People on their own will stop posting and the thread will die a natural death.

Users that are happy with liferay could respond with their positive experiences. This could be a benefit to others.

I don't see you shutting down threads that go on and on about the same topics on 'how to remove liferay logo" for example. James, you have tried to technically help me last weekend when I was having a problem. I know you care about liferay users being successfull. So, this is not an indictment of you but simply saying I don't agree with your actions in this case.

thanks for listening
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

RE: James Falkner - Closing thread

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 7942 Beitrittsdatum: 24.03.10 Neueste Beiträge
I'm kind of disappointed too to see that's these forums are not too "open" as I thought it was.

Nevertheless, the topic seems to have wandered out from the initial post (I have to admit that I was one of the people who digressed the topic. )
It may be better to spin off a new thread on some of the topics that needs further attention.
thumbnail
James Falkner, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1399 Beitrittsdatum: 17.09.10 Neueste Beiträge
[Whoops, accidently posted a response as a test user - trying again as the "real" James Falkner emoticon ]

gordon daniels:
James: I am disappointed that you would close the thread "Liferay Sucks". I am sure you wish the thread did not exist but someone felt compeled to start it. Who cares if its negative. I did not see anything that was politically incorrect. Let them have there say for however long the thread has an interest to people. People on their own will stop posting and the thread will die a natural death.

Users that are happy with liferay could respond with their positive experiences. This could be a benefit to others.

I don't see you shutting down threads that go on and on about the same topics on 'how to remove liferay logo" for example. James, you have tried to technically help me last weekend when I was having a problem. I know you care about liferay users being successfull. So, this is not an indictment of you but simply saying I don't agree with your actions in this case.

thanks for listening

Hey Gordon, sorry for not responding earlier - this one slipped passed my apparently leaky mental filter emoticon

I feel that I and the other moderators are extremely liberal on our forums - I will never close a thread because it's anti-Liferay or because the subject line is inflammatory. It's inevitable that there will be people who differ in opinions, and that's the spirit of openness that we embrace in the community. The only reasons I close a thread are because it's a) spam, b) wanders WAY off the subject (in which case I'll split it), or c) involves personal attacks or insults on participants or other innocent people. In this case, the discussion veered sharply left near the end and I had a good idea where it was headed, so after a week of discussion I felt it was time to close it out.

Again, I want to re-iterate: I and most of the community cherish the ideas and opinions of everyone else, and do not want to stifle discussion (after all, this isn't the only place where discussion can take place, so having draconian rules in place here will just move the discussion elsewhere). But i do want to maintain a high quality of discussions (of which 99% of them are), and only step in when I feel it is no longer moving forward. I love having thousands of "how to change the company logo" threads - it just means there is a flaw in Liferay that we can fix (and also the other items pointed out in the "sucks" thread). And, I am happy to see the content of the "sucks" thread - the community is constantly learning from these kinds of discussions and I really do like seeing them, even the Bill Hillston's of the world! Of course I would not have chosen that particular subject title, but I was happy to see the positive discourse within.

Also, thank you for your constructive comments - I do care about Liferay and helping out as much as possible, but more importantly making our community the most welcoming and pleasant place to hang out. As the airlines say, "we know you have a choice when it comes to flyingopen source, and we're glad you've chosen airline-nameLiferay" emoticon
thumbnail
Jack Bakker, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Liferay Master Beiträge: 978 Beitrittsdatum: 03.01.10 Neueste Beiträge
From what I have seen Liferay is open to community input for better and worse.

I think it was Jelmer Kuperus that implied James was creating false accounts to promote Liferay. He also called being stuck with Liferay a Stockholm Syndrome. Jelmer, I am open to conversations on portals which are better than Liferay in context of a cost/benefit perspective.

James, I think you have a tough job as community guy and we all should recognize first that we communicate with individual humans as we talk here on the forums. Not responding is often a good choice.

I am hoping we all focus on improving instead of disproving. It is easy to complain thinking someone else will 'take care of you'.

I am hoping also that this thread doesn't incur another blast of useless responses and I hope that people focus on improving the solution by actually contributing something worthwhile.
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 7942 Beitrittsdatum: 24.03.10 Neueste Beiträge
Jelmer does seem to complain but if you read all his posts here and other sites, he also states that there's no other viable alternatives. He reallys knows liferay too and I've learned a lot from him. Disapproval is just another side of approval so it's just a matter of expression.

False accounts are another problem. There's some users who have several accounts using different names and using a false account to make to make remarks that he/her won't make with their real account. There's some other users who's using to make it seem there are interest in a topic by using false account to say that he too has the same problem.

At least Jelmer is using his account to make all his comments so I have to say that he's really interested in trying to make liferay more usable. I think most of the junks in these forums are coming from those using their false accounts - they should at least go through several anonymous proxies to really cover their identities.
thumbnail
Jack Bakker, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Liferay Master Beiträge: 978 Beitrittsdatum: 03.01.10 Neueste Beiträge
I also have learned a lot from Jelmer. And, his Stockholm Syndrome comment gave me a hearty Dutch chuckle. That said, I also laugh when I think of the Austin Power's Goldmember movie quote: "There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch." (being of Dutch background myself, criticizing one's own furthers the evolution - albeit with a stern left eye and a twinkle in the right.