Foren

Upgrade to 6.1ga2

gordon daniels, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Upgrade to 6.1ga2

Liferay Master Beiträge: 797 Beitrittsdatum: 24.08.08 Neueste Beiträge
Is there an official way of upgrading from 6.1.ga1 to 6.1ga2?

thanks
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

RE: Upgrade to 6.1ga2

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 14914 Beitrittsdatum: 02.09.06 Neueste Beiträge
Same way you do any other upgrade. Download, expand, copy in portal-ext.properties, then fire it up.

Hi David,

I guess I should have been more specific. I have a development server with custom theme and lots of images. So, in migrating that to new install, are the steps:

1. copy over portal-ext.properties
2. the data directory
3. database

Is that all there is to it?

thanks
thumbnail

Well, the portal-ext.properties will (should) have references to the database and the data directory, so copying it should be enough.

But these steps really only help you with performing a single update and offer no rollback/restart capabilities.

There was a recent post (I think the subject line had best practice for upgrade or something like that) where I did a lengthy post for how to handle doing the upgrade and accommodate backing up the database, doing the deployments, upgrading your plugins, etc.

thanks David. Much appreciated!

I could not find David's post on upgrading. I used the wiki at this link http://www.liferay.com/documentation/liferay-portal/6.1/user-guide/-/ai/maintaining-a-liferay-port-7.

This describes how to use dependancies file and liferay .war to upgrade. I followed it exactly. But the server does not start up. Here is the error msg:

18:35:23,876 ERROR [ContextLoader:220] Context initialization failed
org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'liferayDataSource' defined in ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/liferay-persistence.xml]: Error setting property values; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.PropertyBatchUpdateException; nested PropertyAccessExceptions (1) are:
PropertyAccessException 1: org.springframework.beans.MethodInvocationException: Property 'targetDataSource' threw exception; nested exception is java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: 'targetDataSource' must not be null
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.applyPropertyValues(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1361)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.populateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1086)

Anyone have a clue how I might fix this?

thanks
thumbnail

gordon daniels:
I could not find David's post on upgrading. I used the wiki at this link http://www.liferay.com/documentation/liferay-portal/6.1/user-guide/-/ai/maintaining-a-liferay-port-7.

http://www.liferay.com/community/forums/-/message_boards/message/15043498

thanks David for the help.
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 7942 Beitrittsdatum: 24.03.10 Neueste Beiträge
And don't forgot to read the last recommendation. It's better to wait until all the problems have surfaced before upgrading your production server. I'm still finding some errors in GA2 and probably will spend few more days testing GA2 before thinking about upgrade.

Hitoshi: thanks. This is a test server. So, I am trying to get ahead of things by testing.

thanks
Joseph M. Sentís, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 11 Beitrittsdatum: 19.04.11 Neueste Beiträge
Somebody get this error too? I had copied data folder and all settings of my previous 6.1CE install (portal-ext.properties, DB context, logging.props, extra jars in lib...)
Environment: Solaris 10 & Oracle & JDK 7 / trying to Bundle 6.1 CE -> Bundle 6.1.1 CE

12:13:57,592 INFO [pool-2-thread-1][VerifyProcess:81] Verifying com.liferay.portal.verify.VerifyResourcePermissions
12:13:57,828 ERROR [pool-2-thread-1][MainServlet:217] com.liferay.portal.kernel.events.ActionException: com.liferay.portal.verify.VerifyException: com.liferay.portal.verify.VerifyException: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Permissioned model is null
com.liferay.portal.kernel.events.ActionException: com.liferay.portal.verify.VerifyException: com.liferay.portal.verify.VerifyException: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Permissioned model is null
at com.liferay.portal.events.StartupAction.run(StartupAction.java:58)
at com.liferay.portal.servlet.MainServlet.processStartupEvents(MainServlet.java:1306)
at com.liferay.portal.servlet.MainServlet.init(MainServlet.java:214)
at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:160)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.initServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1266)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1185)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:1080)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup(StandardContext.java:5015)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal(StandardContext.java:5302)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:895)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:871)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:615)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor(HostConfig.java:649)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig$DeployDescriptor.run(HostConfig.java:1585)
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:471)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:334)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:166)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1110)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:603)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)
Stopping the server due to unexpected startup errors

Yes, I have had the same error. I was not successful in doing the upgrade. One issue I had was the slider that I used in ga1 was not available in ga2.

good luck

Hello

Well, we do not have any strong dependency of portlets from previous version but migrating is painfull if everytime we try we have to make a database restoration from 6.1. There are something we can try to speed up migration? Remove files from document library?

Regards.

I don't know the answers. I have not been successfull ever upgrading. I've read all the documentation and its oblique at best. You would think they would have a doc that says, if you have a vanilla install here is what to do to upgrade. But no.

Anyway, if you find out anything or you are successfull in upgrading, post back what you did. I will do the same.

best of luck
thumbnail

Sorry, guys, but I believe it is said all over the place that Java 7 is not yet supported, nor is OpenJDK. You must use the official java 6 from oracle.
thumbnail
Thomas Berg, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Regular Member Beiträge: 131 Beitrittsdatum: 07.09.09 Neueste Beiträge
Hello Joseph,

I ran into the exact same issue (same stacktrace). Found this bug report which helped me solve the problem. I just started the old server and went through all sites/organizations from the control-panel, deleting all bookmark-folders.
Perhaps not a good solution for you but we only had one site that had one single bookmark-folder with a few bookmark-entries so for us it was simple. We can always re-create the bookmarks manually if necessary. I guess it would also be possible to backup the tables boomarksentry and bookmarksfolder and re-create them using some fairly simple script.

HTH

Regards Thomas

I have followed the documentation on upgrading 6.1 to 6.1.ga2. I keep getting the following error:

xception in thread "com.liferay.portal.kernel.deploy.auto.AutoDeployScanner" java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.liferay.portal.kernel.deploy.auto.AutoDeployDir.scanDirectory(AutoDeployDir.java:227)
at com.liferay.portal.kernel.deploy.auto.AutoDeployScanner.run(AutoDeployScanner.java:54)

Could someone tell me what this means? I've tried searching but found nothing that helps.

thanks

I have not been successful in doing upgrade from 6.1ce to 6.1ga2 ce. It comes close but not quite. I've tried all the above. The site is fairly basic. Only one portlet not standard. I leave that one out but still no success.

If anyone has been successful in upgrading, it would be appreciated if you replied with the steps you followed.

thanks
thumbnail
Juan Gonzalez P, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 3089 Beitrittsdatum: 28.10.08 Neueste Beiträge
Can you post complete stacktrace?

Juan:

Hi, thanks for replying. I did post the error message in the above post. Not being a developer, I am not sure what it is telling me. There are no other errors in log.

thanks
thumbnail

Yep, I did see it, but I would like to see the complete Stacktrace, not only that few lines...

Juan: sorry I did not see this posting by you. I've included the complete log.

thanks

Okay - finally have the upgrade working. Everything appears to be working, but I am still testing. One issue is that I have a third party portlet that I use and forgot to install it before upgrade. Upgrade went fine except where the portlet should be is a placeholder with the following message:

This portlet has been undeployed. Please redeploy it or remove it from the page.

My question is this. How do you redeploy? Does that mean I reinstall portlet and then confiure images (its a slider) for it all over again? Or would it be better to drop database and then do upgrade again now that portlet is install in core?

Would really appreciate some advice on this.

thanks

I did an up grade. Everything on the home page works, however when I select any other page I get the following error msg:

Internal Server Error
An error occurred while accessing the requested resource.

http://localhost:8080/web/guest/classes1

I've attached my log. Could someone advise me to what is causing this?
thumbnail

Hi gordon,

When doing an upgrade you've to deploy everything you had previously (some cases perhaps you should have to re-build your portlets, etc).

Did you deploy your layout templates ? (same issue here: http://www.liferay.com/community/forums/-/message_boards/message/15335819?_19_threadView=tree

Juan: thank you for your help! You are exactly right. I forgot my layout portlets :-( I will compile them and see what happens. Just can't believe that I forgot to do that, ugggh.

thanks again for your insight.

Great!

I followed your advice and remove all bookmarks on liferay and upgrade worked like a charm.

Thanks Thomas!