Foren

configuring mail server with gmail

Pari Pari, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

configuring mail server with gmail

New Member Beiträge: 15 Beitrittsdatum: 02.07.12 Neueste Beiträge
The mail settings done from GUI, i.e. ( control panel--->server administration--->mail ) override the portal-ext.properties file. Can you please tell me how to delete these settings so as to have the settings from portal-ext.properties file work. I want to configure the mail server using my gmail account so as to be able send mails to users of message boards.
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

RE: configuring mail server with gmail

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 14915 Beitrittsdatum: 02.09.06 Neueste Beiträge
The settings from portal-ext.properties only apply until you start Liferay. After you start liferay, you should do all mail configuration through the control panel.

And please watch the forum that you're posting to. These issues w/ using gmail do not belong under the social office forum. Also many of these issues have already been covered before on the forum, so you really should try searching before posting.
Janette Davis, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

New Member Beitrag: 1 Beitrittsdatum: 07.08.12 Neueste Beiträge
Is it possible to use yahoo instead of gmail?
thumbnail

Sure, but all of the web mail systems will suffer from the same issues.

You have to remember that these are created to serve email for an individual user. Their terms of service are pretty clear that you will not use them to send out email in the way that Liferay would tend to want to. They will, in fact, throw a number of roadblocks up to prevent you from 'abusing' the outbound email (throttling, spam filtering, etc.).

Hosted mail servers are really pretty cheap these days. Do yourself a favor and ignore the web mail systems, spend a couple of bucks on a hosted mail service, and avoid all of the headaches.
Daryl Hanner, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 2 Beitrittsdatum: 08.08.12 Neueste Beiträge
Wow, so yahoo, gmail, msn etc will ALL not be available to use this with? There goes my optimism lol. A lot of those hosted web services are not very user-friendly with the interface and such, I hate using them emoticon

You can use them, you should just not be surprised by the results.

As I said, they are meant to provide your view into your own mailbox. They are not meant to be an email hosting platform.
thumbnail
James Falkner, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1399 Beitrittsdatum: 17.09.10 Neueste Beiträge
Daryl Hanner:
Wow, so yahoo, gmail, msn etc will ALL not be available to use this with? There goes my optimism lol. A lot of those hosted web services are not very user-friendly with the interface and such, I hate using them emoticon

Hey Daryl, are you a human? Or just a reasonably smart spam bot that knows how to form semi-intelligent replies? Inquiring minds want to know emoticon
thumbnail

James Falkner:
Hey Daryl, are you a human? Or just a reasonably smart spam bot that knows how to form semi-intelligent replies? Inquiring minds want to know emoticon

Based on the two posts, I'd guess human. Otherwise it looks like an extremely smart spam bot since it was able to understand the context of both of the threads responded to...