Foren

Liferay/Eclipse Synch Issue [SOLVED]

Todd Peterson, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Liferay/Eclipse Synch Issue [SOLVED]

Junior Member Beiträge: 29 Beitrittsdatum: 27.09.10 Neueste Beiträge
I am running the Liferay 6.06 bundle with Tomcat, and am using the liferay-plugins-sdk-6.0.6 in Eclipse (Indigo Service Release 2).

Recently, I tried to stop my localhost Liferay server, which never fully shut-down, and was forced to shut down Eclipse (We have weekly automated IT reboots that forced this). I have had nothing but troubles, with my enviornment, since this occurred. Some of the symptoms I am seeing are:
1. Add/Remove existing Portlet and Theme items to Liferay Server no longer show up as options in the list
2. When creating new Portlets, under existing project, I get ClassNotFoundException errors for the MVCPortlet classes I create
3. DefineObjectsTag was not found on the Java Build Path error messages
4. RenderRequest not found
5. Edited view.jsp pages in existing portlets don't always make it to the Portal, even after a manual deploy

Automated building of portlets and themes are no longer possible, so I have to execute the build.xml targets manually through the Ant perspective in Eclipse.

My enviornment really seems hosed! Are there some things I can try to see if I can get my enviornment back and running more stable?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Todd

RE: Liferay/Eclipse Synch Issue

After finding an old issue in the forums, I was able to get my "classpathnotfound issue resolved"

I changed the Output directory for the project from "build/classes" to "docroot/WEB-INF/classes"

I'm still extremely curious as to why I can create a very simple portlet (with the default view.jsp page), deploy it, and add it to my Portal with no problem. Yet, when I try to make a minor change to the Portlet (changing the text on the view.jsp page), and redeploying the portlet, the changes don't show up??? Any ideas???

It would also be nice to get the auto-deploy working. What would cause the Portlet not to be visible in the "Server->Add and Remove" dialogue, in Eclipse?

I'm willing to do a little shot-gun troubleshooting, if folks are willing to start throwing out suggestions.

Thanks,
Todd

Another update...

It seems that deleting my tomcat-6.0.29\work directory refreshes the changes I make to the Portlets (view.jsp changes). Simple changes like this used to always happen immediately, upon "save" in Eclipse. Although this is a work-around, it's going to be a pain to do this everytime... Any thoughts on why this is occurring?

Thanks,
Todd
thumbnail
Gregory Amerson, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1123 Beitrittsdatum: 16.02.10 Neueste Beiträge
Hey Todd,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. The bug you are describing has been addressed in recent builds of Liferay IDE. Let me get you a url of a recent build to update your Eclipse installation and please try it again to see if the problem is fixed.
thumbnail

Hi Todd,

Here is the url of the new build that you can try: http://vm-32.liferay.com/liferay-ide-target/repository/

Then recreate the new project and try to deploy and see if the new classes deploy correctly.

Hi Gregory,

Thanks so much for the response. I didn't get an email notification, so wasn't aware you had responded, otherwise I would have gotten back sooner.

I'm currently not using "Liferay IDE", rather the "Liferay plugins SDK for Eclipse". I took a few training classes with Liferay, and had Liferay IDE installed, but my licenses expired. We are still in proof-of-concept stages of Liferay development, so our budget has led us to use the community tools for now...

Having said that, I'm assuming I can't use the bundle you have pointed me to? If so, please advise...

FWIW - I have managed to get past several of my troublesome issues, but they are manual configurations I have to make in order to get the default behavior I used to get for free. These may be helpful for other folks, so here are the steps...

Issue #1 (the projects not showing up as available resources in the "server" window")
[indent]- From Eclipse, Open Window-Preferences
- Select "Project Facets"
- Select the "Runtimes" tab on far right pane
- Check "Liferay v6.0 CE (Tomcat 6) (it was unchecked)[/indent]
I could then add my portlet project to the server, and it would perform auto-deploys, upon saving changes, as I had experienced in the past. STILL AN ISSUE THOUGH. My changes don't show up unless

Issue #2 (New Portlets, under existing project, I get ClassNotFoundException errors for the MVCPortlet classes I create)
[indent]- Open Project Properties and select Java Build Path
- For some reason the "Default output folder" was invalid
[indent]- I think it was set as "MyPortal-portlet/classes" or "WEB-INF/classes"
- I had to change it to "MyPortal-portlet/docroot/WEB-INF/classes" (docroot or docroot/WEB-INF" was missing, if I recall correctly)[/indent][/indent]

Issues #3 and #4 (DefineObjectsTag not found on the Java Build Path and RenderRequest not found)
[indent]- Went away with fix for Issue #2[/indent]

Issue #5 (Edited view.jsp pages in existing portlets don't always make it to the Portal, even after a manual deploy)
[indent]- Still an issue, as mentioned above[/indent]

I'm sure my Eclipse/Liferay SDK is in a state of unstableness, so I'm hoping your assistance can get me back to the easy developing and deploying I had become accustomed to.

Thanks!
Todd

Hi Gregory,

Do you have any additional thoughts?

Thanks so much!
Todd
thumbnail

Hey Todd,

Can you download the new 1.5.3 release of Liferay IDE? From this download page you can download the all-in-one bundles of Eclipse Indigo SR2 + Liferay IDE 1.5.3 release. Could you download this and try to reproduce your issue? I believe the fix for the issue you have reported should be included in this new release.

http://www.liferay.com/downloads/liferay-projects/liferay-ide

Thanks Gregory!

I am presenting our proof-of-concept portal on the 11th, so will probably hold off and continue to deal with the annoyances until then. I don't want to risk breaking my portal, until after I present.

I will give it a try at that point and let you know how it goes... Thanks for the input!

Best Regards,
Todd

Gregory Amerson:
Hey Todd,

Can you download the new 1.5.3 release of Liferay IDE? From this download page you can download the all-in-one bundles of Eclipse Indigo SR2 + Liferay IDE 1.5.3 release. Could you download this and try to reproduce your issue? I believe the fix for the issue you have reported should be included in this new release.

http://www.liferay.com/downloads/liferay-projects/liferay-ide

Hi Gregory,

Just wanted to follow-up and let you know that I did download the 1.5.3 release of Liferay IDE and installed it. It seemed to have resolved all of my issues!

I wish I had done it sooner, but I way overestimated the complexity of bringing up the new environment for fear that I would spend days re-configuring most of the components I have developed to get it functional. It was actually, almost effortless!

Thanks for the information!

Best Regards,
Todd