Foren

Why is the default to show access denied in a portlet with no permissions?

thumbnail
Cameron McBride, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Why is the default to show access denied in a portlet with no permissions?

Expert Beiträge: 269 Beitrittsdatum: 08.02.11 Neueste Beiträge
If you permission a portlet so that some users do not have access to it they will see a big error in the portlet telling them that. Obviously that is pretty ugly to the end user so I'm sure everyone uses the properties option layout.show.portlet.access.denied to hide the portlet.

What I would like to understand is why has Liferay chosen to have it this way instead of hiding the portlet by default. I am sure they have a reason for designing it this way. Any ideas? I would anticipate more user complaints and reports if they see a big error in a portlet rather than the portlet being hidden.
thumbnail
Ravi Kumar Gupta, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

RE: Why is the default to show access denied in a portlet with no permissio

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1302 Beitrittsdatum: 24.06.09 Neueste Beiträge
Well Liferay can only tell you exact answer. But even in my previous organization(other softwares/sites), I have seen links will be there but it will show access denied and then a link to request access. emoticon
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

RE: Why is the default to show access denied in a portlet with no permissio

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 7942 Beitrittsdatum: 24.03.10 Neueste Beiträge
I think it's because it decrease number of support question. By making display permission error a default, if permission setting mistakes can be more easily detected. If the default was not to display an error message, users will probably complain or submit question when there is a permission error and a portlet does not show.