Foren

hotdeploy messages for production server ?

Guenter Baumgart, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

hotdeploy messages for production server ?

Regular Member Beiträge: 119 Beitrittsdatum: 27.01.12 Neueste Beiträge
Hi,
our main portlet portlet (the only one running on the screen!) is completly ajax driven and we have jWebSockets in the boat, so I am flexible. Is there anything I can intercept due the hotdeploy ? I just need to know that our main portlet is about to be refreshed. I guess I need to create another portlet/hook/plug for intercepting this info, right ?
thanks,g
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

RE: hotdeploy messages for production server ?

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 14916 Beitrittsdatum: 02.09.06 Neueste Beiträge
Yep, hot deploy is handled by the portal and you'll have to hook your way into it.

But the question is how catching the hot deploy helps you? From the portlet's perspective, the code is being overlayed by a new set of code. There's not really much that a user and/or portlet would need to do in the event this is happening... You (the admin) control when the deployment is going to occur, so why does the portlet need to be involved?

Hot deploy is not much different than a regular deployment, except that hot deploy monitors the deploy directory and invokes the process the 'cold' deploy uses upon portal startup; I don't know if you need to distinguish between the two or not.

Finally, it is also possible to manually deploy portlets (by dropping the war in the webapps folder of tomcat or using the admin console of the container). In some cases the manual deployment may be picked up right away, in other cases it won't get picked up until Liferay is restarted, again this would be something to consider.
Guenter Baumgart, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Regular Member Beiträge: 119 Beitrittsdatum: 27.01.12 Neueste Beiträge
Hi,
the hotdeploy flushes our internal caches and and session objects. Thats pretty bad when a user is within checkout procedure. We have also external clients connected to the portlet's internal web services(chat,..).

I actuallay only need to know when a hotdeploy is happening(begin+end) so I can at least store the user's current workflow states. When my portlet is back to work, I can restore the user. So, is there a message I can intercept ?
Thanks,g
thumbnail
Arcko Duan, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Regular Member Beiträge: 213 Beitrittsdatum: 15.10.07 Neueste Beiträge
Actually I think you should not do hot deploy during any time any user is using the system. I should be deployed during maintainance time.