Foren

Can you override a <whatever>LocalServiceImpl with a hook?

thumbnail
Cameron McBride, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Can you override a <whatever>LocalServiceImpl with a hook?

Expert Beiträge: 269 Beitrittsdatum: 08.02.11 Neueste Beiträge
In particular I am looking to change some functionality in CalEventLocalServiceImpl.

I have created my class that extends CalEventLocalServiceImpl and placed this in the xml:
	<service>
    	<service-type>com.liferay.portlet.calendar.service.impl.CalEventLocalServiceImpl</service-type>
    	<service-impl>com.liferay.portlet.calendar.service.impl.HCACalEventLocalServiceImpl</service-impl>
	</service>

It bombs out when trying to register the hook. Is the only way to override functionality in a LocalServiceImpl through the ext environment?
thumbnail
Thiago Leão Moreira, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

RE: Can you override a <whatever>LocalServiceImpl with a hook?

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1449 Beitrittsdatum: 10.10.07 Neueste Beiträge
You can use a hook to override any *ServiceImpl. You made almost everything right, the wrong part was extend CalEventLocalServiceImpl instead of CalEventLocalServiceWrapper
thumbnail

So I have changed my xml to:
	<service>
    	<service-type>com.liferay.portlet.calendar.service.CalEventLocalServiceWrapper</service-type>
    	<service-impl>com.liferay.portlet.calendar.service.impl.HCACalEventLocalServiceImpl</service-impl>
	</service>

I have changed my class to extend CalEventLocalServiceWrapper. At this point I have not bothered to add any methods to the class except for the required constructor. When I deploy I get an error registering the hook:
Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodException: com.liferay.portlet.calendar.service.impl.HCACalEventLocalServiceImpl.<init>(com.liferay.portlet.calendar.service.CalEventLocalServiceWrapper)</init>

I'm sure I'm overlooking something silly. Thanks for the help.
thumbnail
Thiago Leão Moreira, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1449 Beitrittsdatum: 10.10.07 Neueste Beiträge
Yep, we are! Try this

<service>
        <service-type>[b]com.liferay.portlet.calendar.service.CalEventLocalService[/b]</service-type>
    </service>
thumbnail

Ha, you beat me to it. I tried that as a wild guess and it indeed was the missing piece. I'm adding an option to notify the community/group about an event.

Now it's time to add some methods. My end goal is to change whats in the remindUser method of CalEventLocalServiceImpl. However that is a protected method and is not part of the Wrapper class. I assume that I am not going to be able to override that. The calling method is public, in the wrapper and is called checkEvents. I assume I'll have to copy this method and then also any private/protected methods that it may call, which would include the method I want to change. I have tested overriding checkEvents and it does get called when the event triggers, yay! I just want to make sure I go about it the best way...
thumbnail
Sandeep Nair, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1744 Beitrittsdatum: 06.11.08 Neueste Beiträge
One limitation it has is while copying the code from <original>localserviceimpl, you have to make sure there is nothing in it, which is from portal-impl.jar or it will again give exception

Regards,
Sandeep
thumbnail

Yeah that would be a bummer, I could use PortalClassInvoker if I had to.

What I've ran into currently is there are some other variables that checkEvent runs but don't seem available to me: calEventPersistence and userPersistence.

Update: This seems to be turning into a never ending task. If I went with an EXT plugin would I be able to copy the entire CalEventLocalServiceImpl class and include my changes? That may be way easier.

Update 2: Creating my own class that extends CalEventLocalServiceImpl, copying the one method and changing it only took a few minutes in the ext environment :-( I sure would like to use a hook for something!
thumbnail
Sandeep Nair, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Yes true. Well i am eagerly waiting for Liferay 6.1 where i can create my Struts action hook. Then what we can do is create a custom service for the same table and call the same from our struts action

Regards,
Sandeep
Sindhu Varshini, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 6 Beitrittsdatum: 19.04.13 Neueste Beiträge
Hi,

Do you have any update on the above issue. I am facing similar issue.
My requirement is to add another definition of terms in message boards. so I am trying to extend to access notifySubscribers() method from com\liferay\portlet\messageboards\service\impl\MBMessageLocalServiceImpl.java service using hook. But variables companyPersistence, groupPersistence,portletPreferencesLocalService,serviceContext are not available to me. Do we have to use EXT plugin for modifying service class? Hook doesn't work?

Can anyone share your knowledge.

Thanks,
Sindhu
thumbnail
Sandeep Nair, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

Hi,

Since it is protected method, you need to write ext.

Regards,
Sandeep
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 6403 Beitrittsdatum: 23.09.08 Neueste Beiträge
well, you could use a hook to override every single method that calls notifySubscribers (with a copy of the original code) and change the notifySubscribers call to a new implementation. Just to provide one more option - sometimes this is prohibitive and sometimes it's a good option.
Sindhu Varshini, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 6 Beitrittsdatum: 19.04.13 Neueste Beiträge
Hi,

Thanks Everyone for your help.

Thanks,
Sindhu