Foren

What is the difference between web content and wiki??

Silicon Smith, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

What is the difference between web content and wiki??

New Member Beiträge: 21 Beitrittsdatum: 04.10.11 Neueste Beiträge
Hi All,
I am very new to liferay community edition.
What is the difference between web content wiki?? what I should use for my company to post the contents??
which one is more recommended??

thanks in advance
Replies highly appreciated.
Manjinder
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

RE: What is the difference between web content and wiki?? (Antwort)

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 7942 Beitrittsdatum: 24.03.10 Neueste Beiträge
If you're creating just one web page, then you can use web content. Web content also allows creation of forms.
If you're going to allow users to create subpages as well, then use wiki.
thumbnail
Sandeep Nair, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

RE: What is the difference between web content and wiki?? (Antwort)

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1744 Beitrittsdatum: 06.11.08 Neueste Beiträge
Most of website requires content to published on page like a nice banner on top or some company new doing a nice slideshow on the home page. In that case you will use Liferay's Web Content to create the content and publish the content. Normally content is created by content creator of the website and the end users who access the website wont be having rights to modify the same. Its just there for them to see.

Wiki on the other side is a collaboration tool. You must have seen Wikipedia for instance. Where in if you see wiki for say "Microsoft" you would as an end user can see and modify the wiki content. Wiki is generally used as a way to build up a knowledgebase. Here its not the site admin who are the main actors but the end users who would share their knowledge on which they have expertise.

Regards,
Sandeep

RE: What is the difference between web content and wiki??

Thank you very much Hitoshi and Sandeep..... These are very clear explanations.... Now a question popped up .. wondering what I will use if I have to paste large number of contents in one organization?? I guess then web content and wiki are not good options... may be document library.??... actually My requirement is to have all the documents and content in our main database to liferay so that we will be able to "search" through the documents and content...

thanks again in advance..
Manjinder
thumbnail
Sagar A Vyas, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Liferay Master Beiträge: 679 Beitrittsdatum: 17.04.09 Neueste Beiträge
Hi Smith,

We can say like :

"Information for showcase " called Content.
"Information for knowledge base " called wiki.

Remember whenever you find confusion just see which portlet comes under which section , you will find answer from there only emoticon
like In menu bar you will find wiki inside the collaborations and content inside the Content management section itself emoticon

wondering what I will use if I have to paste large number of contents in one organization??

You can defiantly use them as content. Documents are also part of the content management section.

Thanks,
Sagar Vyas

thanks Sagar,

that's kind of tricky..........
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 7942 Beitrittsdatum: 24.03.10 Neueste Beiträge
What's the format of your content? WIth document library, users would be able to upload and download files.
If you want users to view in html, you'll be better off using web content or wiki. It's possible to set permission to roles
for a wiki so only few people would be able to edit the pages while others would only be able to view (and comment) on it.

If you have large number of html files, you can just create a web service or a portlet to batch upload them to web content or wiki.
I'm making that too for our customer.

I've, also, just created a portlet which will display files uploaded to document library but the content wouldn't be in html format.

Users would be able to search for a text with Web Content, Wiki, and with Document Library, but Document Library won't be able
to index all file formats so you'll probably want to check beforehand.

BTW, there's also a blog. :-)
thumbnail
Sagar A Vyas, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Liferay Master Beiträge: 679 Beitrittsdatum: 17.04.09 Neueste Beiträge
Hi HItoshi,

Nice information.

BTW, there's also a blog. :-)

Can you provide link for same ?

Thanks,
Sagar Vyas

Thanks hitoshi.... really nice info...
we will be having html pages as well as documents... .doc and pdf files mostly...
thanks again
manjinder