Foren

Regarding License of Liferay Portal

Paras Yadav, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Regarding License of Liferay Portal

New Member Beiträge: 8 Beitrittsdatum: 15.10.11 Neueste Beiträge
Hi All,
I wanted to confirm about the licensing terms and conditions for Liferay Portal Community Edition and Liferay Portal Enterprise Edition. I have Following queries-

1) Can I use Liferay Portal Community Edition and Liferay Portal Enterprise Edition for developing Portal for some organisation ?
2) Which Links can I use to download both of these Editions ?

Regards
Paras
thumbnail
Szymon Gołębiewski, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

RE: Regarding License of Liferay Portal

Regular Member Beiträge: 246 Beitrittsdatum: 08.06.09 Neueste Beiträge
1. You can use both. Difference is that with Enterprise edition you will get services packs and Liferay support.
2. In Download section you will find Liferay CE. From the same page you can order 30days trial of Liferay EE.
Nightly builds of Liferay CE you can find here.
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 7942 Beitrittsdatum: 24.03.10 Neueste Beiträge
Just to add to Szymon's answers, there are some portlets that are only available in EE. I don't think Liferay.com permits these portlets to run on CE versions.
Guenter Baumgart, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Regular Member Beiträge: 119 Beitrittsdatum: 27.01.12 Neueste Beiträge
Hi,

is it allowed to create custom plesk installation packages including an adjusted/fixed CE and deploy/offer them to own customers ? Or do they have to sign up here first and go though the installation procedure on own ? That might be quite tedious for them.

Thanks, Guenter
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 6403 Beitrittsdatum: 23.09.08 Neueste Beiträge
Liferay CE is licensed LGPL, as long as you adhere to that license, you're fine to distribute this edition. Keep in mind that they might expect you to update their server if you provided the initial installation (as they don't know how to install obviously)

Coming back to your original question, we encourage you and your customers to sign up here and contribute to Liferay's community. But this is not mandatory or required by the CE license.

Right, I thought the same but just wanted to be sure.

We'll of course leave all LR trademarks, branding backlinks inside. And sure, we'll send them to here. The package however is rather for managing their apps(another story) directly in-house.

Is there an interest that we share our "Plesk Liferay Packager" back to here ? I'm glad to share this. Its also Plesk-Store compatible of course.

Thank you very much.
Guenter
thumbnail

Is there an interest that we share our "Plesk Liferay Packager" back to here ? I'm glad to share this. Its also Plesk-Store compatible of course.

Yes, I'm sure everybody else would also be interested in it.

Ok, should be ready and stable middle of May. Its just a bunch of bash scripts calling some Java.
g
thumbnail

As Olaf replied, you're allowed to distribute Liferay CE version (I don't think you're allowed to distribute EE version without getting OEM license) under LPGL. This just basically means you'll have to distribute all your source code with your package.
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 6403 Beitrittsdatum: 23.09.08 Neueste Beiträge
Hitoshi Ozawa:
As Olaf replied, you're allowed to distribute Liferay CE version (I don't think you're allowed to distribute EE version without getting OEM license) under LPGL. This just basically means you'll have to distribute all your source code with your package.

Some confirmation and some nitpicking:

Correct, EE can't be redistributed without specific OEM agreement. No problem as we speak about CE here.

According to LGPL, the source code has to be made available to the ones you provide the binaries to, when asked - it does not need to be redistributed with the product.

Standard disclaimers apply: IANAL

IANAL here too. As far I know, GPL/LGPL is pretty much about distribution but in our case, we don't need to provide the source code except the one which is linking dynamically or statically against LR. And this is what we're also doing, the actual portlet code is available on request. This custom portlet code however is just acting as proxy to our real main application via RPC. Only when LR is moving to A-LGPL, we need to provide its sources as well. Well, this is what I understood so far.

This seperation into proxy portlet and 3th party app was rather a necessary design decision to keep it "flexible" and "free" of dependencies or any eventual surprises :-)
g
thumbnail

Right, I'm doing the same thing here.

LGPL doesn't require distribution - one can decide on who to distribute or even not to distribute.
Portlets can have it's own distribution license if it doesn't include Liferay codes. I think the gray area
is when Liferay's tools merges or includes Liferay's files when building such as when extending themes.