Foren

Oh No! Another Liferay bug found

thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Oh No! Another Liferay bug found

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 7942 Beitrittsdatum: 24.03.10 Neueste Beiträge
I've been browsing through the Home ≫ Liferay Portal ≫ English ≫ 1. Installation / Deployment / Setup ≫
forum and found another bug in Liferay. I didn't start the thread of the attached image. It seems the person
who started the thread deleted his post. Now, it's showing me as the person who started the thread when
in fact, I did not.
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

RE: Oh No! Another Liferay bug found

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 14919 Beitrittsdatum: 02.09.06 Neueste Beiträge
That's happened to me a couple of times, Hitoshi. I posted on it some months back...

IMHO, if someone posts a response LR should not allow the OP message to be deleted. I'd go so far as to say in some cases I wouldn't want follow-ups even edited when there is a later one, but I think that's more of a use case issue.

But deletions? Throws the whole thing off. The number of messages are off (there's probably not 2, only your response), and logically if someone stumbles upon your message they'll wonder why you posted something w/ a random comment.
thumbnail
James Falkner, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1399 Beitrittsdatum: 17.09.10 Neueste Beiträge
David H Nebinger:
That's happened to me a couple of times, Hitoshi. I posted on it some months back...

IMHO, if someone posts a response LR should not allow the OP message to be deleted. I'd go so far as to say in some cases I wouldn't want follow-ups even edited when there is a later one, but I think that's more of a use case issue.

But deletions? Throws the whole thing off. The number of messages are off (there's probably not 2, only your response), and logically if someone stumbles upon your message they'll wonder why you posted something w/ a random comment.

I filed LPS-20727.

For the other issues, see LEP-4991 and others.

You guys should vote on these. We are nearing the point where voting becomes even more important as we near the release of 6.1.
thumbnail

This is really a no brainer fix. It can be fixed by disallowing delete as David said or by keeping the name of the original poster.
thumbnail
Eric Min, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 31 Beitrittsdatum: 05.10.09 Neueste Beiträge
I do not think it is a bug since when you delete the thread(First message) that means the rest of messages will be splitted from the original thread as an independent part. You could see the thread name was changed after that.

Test case:
1. Add a thread abc as test.
2. Reply the message as ua.
3. Reply the message as ub.
4. Test user delete the first message(Thread)
5. You will see the thread name changed to RE:abc and start by ua. That should be the correct behavior.

I could be wrong please correct me if any one has better explanation.
thumbnail

You're mixing "thread" and "post". The thread was started by the first person who posted with a new subject.
If you delete the first post and elevate the next post as the first post, the person who "started" the thread should
still be the original person. If you just want to show who posted the first displayed post to the thread, it should not
be "started by" but "posted by" or a "poster of the current first post". Nevertheless, most users want to know the
person who created the thread instead of the current first post.

5. You will see the thread name changed to RE:abc and start by ua. That should be the correct behavior.

Changing the title of the thread and the originator is just a major design flaw which should be fixed. It allows users to
highjack a thread with entire different content and may make other peoples replies seems meaningless.

FInally, thank you for reporting another bug - that of changing Started subject title.
thumbnail

I do not agree with you.

The first post as you mentioned should be the new subject, correct? If so after you deleted that post why you are still able to see the original person? The thread has already be a new thread with the next post even though the subject with RE:******(Original Thread).

Since it is totally a new thread why I can not edit the thread's subject?

We might need to look into this issue using code.
thumbnail

The thread has already be a new thread with the next post even though the subject with RE:******(Original Thread).

I think this is the major difference in our opinion. You've mentioned creating a new thread from existing thread. Only the user should be
capable of creating a new thread - system should not be capable.

David (I think) and I are suggesting that the original thread should not be deletable after somebody posted a reply. This doesn't mean
to disable the original poster from editing the content of his post so that he can clear the content of the post.

To clear things up, I should have used "hide" instead of "delete". I think it's either disable deleting altogether or else enabling the original
thread creator to "hide" his post so the content doesn't show up to normal users.
thumbnail

BTW, what Liferay version are you using? I test this issue on trunk.
thumbnail

BTW, what Liferay version are you using? I test this issue on trunk. ...

Which version is Liferay.com using right now?

This is the "ome » Liferay Portal » English » A. Liferay's Community » General » ". We're talking about forums at Liferay.com.
thumbnail

Should be 6.0. So you mean that the issue happened on liferay.com?
thumbnail

Should be 6.0. So you mean that the issue happened on liferay.com? ...

Yes. The image attached to my first post is from liferay.com. It confuses other people who doesn't know that the original post was deleted.
It makes the person who replied seem to have posted meaningless post. Since the thread now only have 1 post, other people may think
it's unanswered question - I think it would be counted as unanswered in James' statistics too.
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 14919 Beitrittsdatum: 02.09.06 Neueste Beiträge
Eric Min:
I do not think it is a bug since when you delete the thread(First message) that means the rest of messages will be splitted from the original thread as an independent part. You could see the thread name was changed after that.

Test case:
1. Add a thread abc as test.
2. Reply the message as ua.
3. Reply the message as ub.
4. Test user delete the first message(Thread)

I could be wrong please correct me if any one has better explanation.

My concern was not this particular use case, it's in the flow as shown in the thread.

I don't remember the particular post I responded to, but the question was an extremely simple one that the OP could have answered themselves just by reading the doco.

So I posted a reply indicating as such, and the OP deleted their first post.

The end result is that there's a thread out there, reportedly started by me, with a stupid statement along the lines of "look in the doco". If I hadn't known that it was just my reply to the OP's post, i.e. I was just a regular forum browser, I'd have wondered why someone posted a response like "look in the doco".

Deleting a post, especially the first post, after someone responds deletes the context necessary to understand the thread.

It would have been another thing entirely if the OP could have deleted the whole thread (not just the post)... But it is certainly, IMHO, incorrect behavior to allow the post to be deleted, losing all of the contextual clues that made any reply make sense...
thumbnail

ditto for me too. Deleting a post makes the replies meaningless to unknowing users.
I think other sites where just replacing the context to "Deleted by user".

I'm only concerned about having the problem fixed here on Liferay.com - it's very easy to fix it at my sites without any help from Liferay.