Foren

Development Forum

thumbnail
James Falkner, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Development Forum

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1399 Beitrittsdatum: 17.09.10 Neueste Beiträge
All,

Thoughts on splitting the "Liferay Development" forum category into multiple subcategories? I think this would give a more granular subscription possibility to developers who may want to concentrate their forum efforts in one or more particular areas. Right now there are tons of messages in this forum and while I enjoy reading them all, it may be burdensome to others who have to read messages in areas they are not interested in and cannot help out with.

So, something like
  • ServiceBuilder
  • Portal Core (user, group, etc)
  • Database/Persistence/ORM
  • Web Content / Publishing / CMS
  • Scripting Languages
  • Build Infrastructure (Ant, Maven, etc)
  • Plugins (e.g. Workflow, reporting, rules, ...)

Of course the final list would be decided separately, I'm just wondering if anyone is opposed to this?
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

RE: Development Forum

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 7942 Beitrittsdatum: 24.03.10 Neueste Beiträge
I don't think there are that many posts each day. If you divide it, there would probably be less than 5 posts in some forums.
Many of the posts are also just some deveopers who hasn't tried to search for a solution themselves. So, there would only
be very few "new" questions and it would seems like there aren't too many activities - very boring.

How about setting up an average "favorable" number of posts value and then trying to find subcategories which will satisfy
this number in all the subcategories?
thumbnail
James Falkner, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1399 Beitrittsdatum: 17.09.10 Neueste Beiträge
Hitoshi Ozawa:
I don't think there are that many posts each day. If you divide it, there would probably be less than 5 posts in some forums.
Many of the posts are also just some deveopers who hasn't tried to search for a solution themselves. So, there would only
be very few "new" questions and it would seems like there aren't too many activities - very boring.

How about setting up an average "favorable" number of posts value and then trying to find subcategories which will satisfy
this number in all the subcategories?

Yah that sounds about right - probably would get around 5 posts per category at my initial suggested granularity.

There are on the order of 75-100 posts per day in this category. That's a lot to wade through if you do not read it every day! That's why I thought a subcategorization would be good. But it also depends on people choosing the right subcategory to post in. Very often they get this wrong. So I'm ok with leaving it as-is, but then subscribers need to filter themselves (I currently do this).
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 7942 Beitrittsdatum: 24.03.10 Neueste Beiträge
Are you subscribing to the forums and getting posts by email? I'm just viewing from the web site.
The number of threads being posted to seems to be very low.

Just wondering if people are subscribing to the forum, to a thread, or just viewing from the web pages.