Message Boards Portlet
The Message Boards portlet is part of the Liferay Collaboration Suite and is integrated with all of it's portlets as well as with Liferay Portal's base services.
Basic functionalities #
- Hierarchical categories
- Message threads
- bbcode for formatting
- bbcode editor
- RSS feeds of categories or threads
- Message attachments
- UTF-8 support
- Flexible administration delegation
- Unread message tracking
- Private message system (plugin)
- Full text search
- Ranking based on number of posts
Mail integration #
- Support for email subscription:
- Users can subscribe to the entire forum or individual categories or threads to receive any new message in their inbox
- Users can answer to the email received to post back to the forum
- Support with integration with existing mailing lists
Features shared with all other Liferay Portal core portlets #
- Have an infinite number of forums in one single installation. Each community or organization can have their own independent forum.
- Very advanced user administration system: organize your users in organizations, communities and user groups.
- Very flexibly permissions system: allows creating and defining your own roles
- Look and feel fully customizable through Liferay Themes
- Fully Open Source plus the benefits of professional services and guarantee behind it.
- High performance
- Fully scalable: support for small and large clusters of servers.
- Support for all the main databases: MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, ...
- Translated to 22 languages
The Message Boards portlet is used as the central communication tool in www.liferay.com. It can be accesses in http://forum.liferay.com
Users can be granted different ranks depending on the number of messages they have posted. By default, you have liferay rankings, but these can be changed in the configuration view. You just need to set your own ranks and the number of messages required.
Several roles can be also shown in the users messages. For example, if they are a message boards administrator. In the image shown, any organization role, community role, regular role or user group role called "Message Board Administrator" will be displayed as Moderator. Any role or label for that role can be modified from here.
Email templates can be configured from the configuration view of the portlet.
Message Boards is one of Liferay's Out of The Box Portlets