BugSquad - Liferay Portal 6.2 CE Milestone 6 Testing
Table of Contents [-]
- Goals of this Milestone
- BugSquad focus areas
- Detailed changes in Milestone 6
- Bugs Fixed
- Known issues and limitations
- How to report bugs and suggestions
- Where are the plugins?
Liferay has released the sixth and likely final milestone build of the next version of Liferay. This milestone includes most if not all of the bug fixes based on the feedback from the bug squad in previous milestones, as well as several new features. See below for a list of new features and bugs fixed in this Milestone.
Goals of this Milestone #
This milestone is likely the final milestone build before the first Beta build of Liferay 6.2. BugSquad has been instrumental in improving the milestones up to this point, and the release and development teams need your help once more!
With Milestone 6, we are specifically looking for:
- A focused review of a few major changes that have gone into this milestone (see below)
- Bugs (of course!)
- Functionality quirks or small improvements to features
Ideas for new features are always encouraged, but keep in mind that to maintain high quality and the ability to release a solid product, large-scale changes and new features will likely have to wait until after the 6.2 release. Most important now is to look at the existing feature set and see if there are small improvements things you dislike that can be fixed prior to Beta.
To obtain the Milestone 6 build, download one or more bundles:
- Tomcat Bundle
- GlassFish Bundle
- Source Code Bundle
- Source Code Repository
- Javadoc and other reference documentation
- Other files (Includes other app server builds like JOnAS or Resin, standalone WAR files, dependency JARs, etc)
BugSquad focus areas #
For this final Milestone, BugSquad should focus on the following three areas:
- UI Improvements - We have upgraded portal to Alloy 2.0 and thus to bootstrap. Many UIs have been changed and almost all of them are benefiting from a much more modern look. Things to keep in mind:
- There might be more UI bugs than you are expecting. We appreciate your help in reporting any issue you see. Just make sure it hasn't been reported yet by checking the list of reported UI bugs. When reporting make sure to select the component "UI" or one of its subcomponents.
- The themes for Control Panel and Classic are not final yet.
- Staging, Export and Import - We have done tons of improvements to both the backend and user experience of both staging and the export/import functionalities. Among other benefits, you should find it much easier to know what you are going to export or publish and you will be told ahead of time if a problem may occur during import. Things to keep in mind:
- Many more export/import situations are now nicely supported than before but since this is work in progress you may find quite a few small issues. We appreciate your help in reporting any issue you see. Just make sure it hasn't been reported yet by checking the list of reported Staging/Export/Import bugs.
- In particular we appreciate help testing the validation of LAR files. Create sites with content that has relationships to other content and check if the import or publishing to live works as you would expect.
- Control Panel face lift - The Control Panel is undergoing a well deserved face lift. It's been split in three parts (1) The Control Panel is now focused on portal administration, (2) Site Administration allows administering the current site and can also be accessed from the list of sites in the Control Panel (3) My Account contains all the portlets for the current user that used to be in the Control Panel. Things to keep in mind:
- The development so far has focused on portal administrators and site administrators. We will focus next on users with a limited set of administration permissions so don't expect an optimized experience for those users left.
- We appreciate your help in reporting any issue you see. Just make sure it hasn't been reported yet by checking the list of reported Control Panel / Administration bugs.
Detailed changes in Milestone 6 #
These are some of the new features included in Milestone 6 that you may be interested in testing. As usual, Liferay is using a JIRA Structure to visualize new features ("Stories") in each Milestone. You can see the Milestone 6 Stories, or visit the overview of Stories for all Milestones.
- LPS-35777 As a Liferay developer, I want to test Verify processes
- LPS-35267 As an Eclipse/LiferayIDE user, I would like to have code-completion/validation for ivy.xml files in plugins SDK
- LPS-36034 As a Liferay developer, I would like to have more friendly messages when executing tests from command line
- LPS-35353 As a Liferay Theme Developer, I would like to be able to import localized page titles
Site Administrator #
- LPS-35003 Apply the Staged Model pattern to Wiki to increase reliability, extensibility and speed of export, import and publish to live operations
- LPS-34428 As a site administrator I would like to benefit from the more reliable staging architecture when using the Page Ratings portlet
- LPS-33936 As site administrator, I should be able to define different templates for e-mail notifications for each calendar
- LPS-35677 As a site admin I would like to have content sharing option available only between parent sites and its children sites which have it enabled
- LPS-22830 As a Site Administrator I can decide whether to enable or disable directory indexing for my site
- LPS-35734 As a site admin I want to understand what the option "View in a specific portlet" does in asset publisher
- LPS-35683 As a site administrator I am provided with information about the number of items available in a LAR file per content type so that I have more information to decide which content types to import
- LPS-35644 As a site admin I have to explictly enable the export of the theme when exporting site layouts
- LPS-34639 As a site administrator I am provided with information about the number of available items in staging per content type so that I have more information to decide which content types to publish to live
- LPS-34592 As a Site Administrator I can create a new content from the panel used to add a content to a page
- LPS-33709 As a site admin I can drag and drop a LAR file in the import dialog for layouts and portlets
Portal Administrator #
- LPS-33001 A system administrator can limit the number of entries retrieved from database when notifying dynamic asset publishers updates
- LPS-36056 Remove portal.ctx property
- LPS-31941 As a portal administrator I can create a Password Policy with regular expression validation
- LPS-35738 As a Portal Admin I can give a user permission to create subsites of a site (but not managing all the subsites)
- LPS-35675 As a portal administrator I should be able to define rules for mobile devices based on device's physical display size and screen resolution.
- LPS-34750 As a Portal Administrator I can manage the global scope in the same way I manage any site
WCM / Content Admin #
- LPS-30961 As a WCM Administrator, I will be able to create and edit structures and templates using the new editors from Dynamic Data Mapping (DDM)
- LPS-30261 As a document library admin I can translate document types names and descriptions
- LPS-35499 Drop support for file upload field and use DL instead
- LPS-35255 Display message in Navigation Configuration Preview when no navigation is available.
Power User #
- LPS-17862 As a DDL content author I should be able to translate DDL list contents to several languages
- LPS-33230 As a DDL user I can edit a record from the record view
- LPS-34691 As a developer of a portlet that uses DDM I can control relevant labels, columns and key behaviors to adapt them for my portlet
- LPS-35555 Refactor ServletContextUtil.getLastModified() from recursive to iterative.
- LPS-35397 Remove TemplateContextType
- LPS-34931 Modify SampleSQLBuilder to generate complicated sample data for DDL/DDM test case
- LPS-34290 Make SampleSQLBuilder to create data with "layout.comments.enabled=false"
- LPS-36106 Massive Format Source in Testing framework
- LPS-35896 Disable Blocking Cache by default
- LPS-34798 Sample data generated by SampleSQLBuilder is incomplete.
- LPS-32314 Move breadcrumb building code from taglib JSP to Java level
Collaboration / Social #
- LPS-33003 Show the gist when the result of search is an attachment
- LPS-35261 As a calendar user I can continue to use the event types from my old calendar in the new calendar as categories
- LPS-35048 Add permission support to Calendar Bookings
- LPS-34912 As a calendar administrator, I should be able to define if its calendar bookings have comments and ratings enabled
- LPS-34833 Track operations of the Calendar as social activities so that any user can see them through the Social Activities portlets
- LPS-36071 Remove old calendar from portal
Bugs Fixed #
Known issues and limitations #
- LPS-36328 In some cases, text on the welcome page may appear to be larger than necessary.
How to report bugs and suggestions #
- Bugs: Create bugs in JIRA making sure you fill the field "Affects Version" specifying the value 6.2.0 CE M6.
- Important: Please make sure you review the list of bugs reported for Milestone 6 before reporting a new one.
- Suggestions: post your idea on the new Community Ideas Dashboard!.
The developers working on 6.2 will be monitoring the reported bugs and suggestions to provide timely answers.
Where are the plugins? #
Any plugins that should be tested with the milestone (if any) are included in the bundles by default, but are not built separately.
Building Portal and Plugins Manually #
If you are interested in trying out any of the open source plugins with this Milestone (for example, to see if a bug still exists in a plugin), you can build them yourself. Here is an example that should work on Unix/Linux/MAC (Windows developers can easily translate this to their own tool chain). This will download the portal source code and plugins source code, build the portal, and build the knowledge-base-portlet (as an example), and deploy it to the newly-created portal, and finally start it up.
$ mkdir /tmp/foo $ cd /tmp/foo $ wget --output-document=portal.zip --no-check-certificate https://github.com/liferay/liferay-portal/archive/6.2.0-m6.zip $ wget --output-document=plugins.zip --no-check-certificate https://github.com/liferay/liferay-plugins/archive/6.2.0-m6.zip $ mkdir bundles $ unzip -q portal.zip $ unzip -q plugins.zip $ cd liferay-portal-6.2.0-m6 $ ant -f build-dist.xml unzip-tomcat $ ant all $ cd ../liferay-plugins-6.2.0-m6/portlets/knowledge-base-portlet $ ant deploy $ /tmp/foo/bundles/tomcat-7.0.40/bin/startup.sh $ tail -f /tmp/foo/bundles/tomcat-7.0.40/logs/catalina.out