The Announcements Portlet displays announcement messages to the portal users. The announcements can be configured to only be shown to a specific community, organization, or role.
Announcements displayed through the Announcements Portlet are portal-wide for all practical purposes. This means that even though you may have the portlet being displayed in Community A, the end user could still see announcements scoped to Community B. This will occur when the user is a member of both Community A and Community B and both communities have announcements to be displayed.
If you intend to display announcements scoped to Community A only when the portlet is being rendered on pages for Community A, then you will need to customize the Announcements Portlet.
Add Announcement #
- Click on the 'Manage Entries' tab.
- Click on the 'Add Entry' button.
- Select the 'Distribution Scope' from the drop down menu. This will be the group that the announcement will be visible to.
- Fill in the 'Title', 'URL', and 'Content' fields.
- Select the 'Priority', either 'Normal' or 'Important'. The 'Important' announcements will be displayed at the top of the Announcements Portlet.
- Change the 'Display Date' if you wish for the announcement to be displayed at a later date.
- Change the 'Expiration Date' if you would the announcement to expire at a particular time.
The announcements portlet will send an email to all users who can read the announcements. Unless you configure portlet-ext.properties, the sender email is Joe.Bloggs@liferay.com.