The dockbar is a bar of tools and menus that it's shown at the top of every page in a Liferay portal to every user that is logged in. It was introduced in Liferay 6 as a way to make the most common administration operations readily accessible.
The main areas of the dockbar are:
- "Add" menu: Allows adding new pages and portlets to the current page. It's only visible if the user has the permissions to do those operations.
- "Manage" menu: Allows managing the current page and site, as well as going to the Control Panel.
- Toggle edit controls checkbox: Toggle whether the controls to manage the page are shown or hidden (to simulate what a non-administrator user would see)
- "Go to" menu: Allows going to the pages of any of the communities or organizations that the user belongs to, as well as to his/her own private or public pages if he/she has any
- User name: Shows the name of the current user and allows him to log out or go to his profile. When an administration is impersonating another user the user name becomes a menu that allows him to perform several operations related to impersonation such as switch between his preferred language and that of the impersonated user.