toggle
Gary Jiang
How to isolate organizations?
July 8, 2011 9:53 AM
Answer

Gary Jiang

Recent Posts

I'm new to Liferay portal.
I logged in my portal (CE version 6.0.6) with credentials test@liferay.com/test;
I created multiple regular organizations on my portal (CE version 6.0.6);
For each organization, I created an admin user for the organization by assigning Organization Administrator permission/role. I expected this user can created other regular users and sub-organizations.

When logged on as one of the admin users I created above, I expected to see my organization information only. But instead, I see all the other organizations reside on the liferay portal.

I also tried to create a new role (with users and pages permissions only), and only assign that role to the admin users, but the users still see other organizations and users under other organizations.

How can I isolate organizations (or groups?) so users under one organization will not see the existance of other users on the portal, except public web pages?

Thanks for any help!
Bijan Vakili
RE: How to isolate organizations?
July 8, 2011 10:33 AM
Answer

Bijan Vakili

Recent Posts

Hey,

Are these organizations being accessed from different URLs or the same URL?

If different URL, then you can use different instances, see Control Panel->Portal Instances.

Please explain what you are trying to achieve so I can help you.
Gary Jiang
July 8, 2011 10:58 AM
Answer

Gary Jiang

Recent Posts

Thanks for the reply.
They should be accessed from different URLs. But the URLs may have the same root, such as www.organ-1.basename.com vs. www.organ-2.basename.com, or www.basename.com/organ-1 vs. www.basename.com/organ-2.

I'm not sure how instance works. Will instances consume a lot of additional resources? and if I deploy a portlet, will that be available to all the instances, or I have to deploy the portlet for each of the instances?
If the server potentially hold hundreds or even thousands instances, will that be a problem for the instance approach?

After seeing your reply, I tried to created an instance, see how it works, but after hit Save button I got "Portal Instances is temporarily unavailable." Maybe it's because a restart is needed? or some additional setup is required?

Thanks
Gary
Gary Jiang
July 8, 2011 11:54 AM
Answer

Gary Jiang

Recent Posts

P.S:
What I'm trying to do is, create a bunch of portlets and deploy to the portal. Then I can add new organizations to my portal by creating an organization and adding admin user for that organization.
The organizations I create should be self-contained. The admin user can add users to his organization and assign them different priviliges, group them, create or update organization public or private pages and access permissions, especially the admin can add or remove portlets onto or from they organization pages, and the admin can also add new sub-organizations and add their admin users and priviliges. But idealy the admin should not be allowed to update the fundamental organization and admin information I added during the organization and admin user creation,
Hope this makes sense to you. If not, I'm also open to any "best practice" ideas.
Bijan Vakili
July 9, 2011 6:20 PM
Answer

Bijan Vakili

Recent Posts

Hey Gary,

You can try a couple approaches:
1) Multiple Portal Instances
Pros: This achieves exactly what you want - that is each URL maps to a whole new Liferay where users are different, but same set of plugins are available
Cons: None
2) Setting Organization's Public Virtual Host
Pros: This doesn't involve creating portal instances, but achieves pretty much the same thing
Cons: The users are shared across the portal

To achieve the first option, Multiple Portal Instances, check out the following Wiki articles:
[url=http://www.liferay.com/community/wiki/-/wiki/Main/Virtual+Hosting+(ASP)]http://www.liferay.com/community/wiki/-/wiki/Main/Virtual+Hosting+(ASP)
http://www.liferay.com/community/wiki/-/wiki/Main/creating+portal+instances

To achieve the second way, Setting Organization's Public Virtual Host, try the following Blog entry:
http://www.liferay.com/web/jonas.yuan/blog/-/blogs/6454355