Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
Ed F.
Liferay 5.2.2 automatically shuts down daily, can't find cause
January 5, 2011 12:05 PM
Answer

Ed F.

Recent Posts

Liferay 5.2.2 on Tomcat 5.5, Windows XP.

I know I need to update to version 6, but haven't had the time. I've been using Liferay a long time, this is my 3rd site built on Liferay, and it's been running steady for months. All of a sudden in the past couple of weeks, the server shuts down almost daily, and I can't figure out why. It's not a windows update or restart, and I don't think anyone would be shutting down the server but me.

I startup Liferay through the batch file. I never got around to making the best logs in Liferay, so the only logs out I have are catalina.log, manager.log, host-manager.log, and localhost.log. The only non-empty log is catalina, which just has startup information, some system.out's, and that's it. There is no message for a shut down in any log, Tomcat just simply closes.

I get an email alert when the site is down so I bring it back up right away, but it inevitably stops again usually within 12-15 hours, and I can't always be immediately available.

Does anyone have any ideas for what might be causing it or how I can track this down?
Any advice would be incredibly appreciated.
Thanks!
-Ed
Hitoshi Ozawa
RE: Liferay 5.2.2 automatically shuts down daily, can't find cause
January 8, 2011 7:10 PM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

Have you checked the Windows logs to find any activities which may be causing the shutdown?
Ed F.
January 10, 2011 1:11 PM
Answer

Ed F.

Recent Posts

Hey Hitoshi,

I have checked the event viewer. Nothing I can tell is related. A printer driver issue, but that's it. Nothing else seems to sync up with the shutdowns.
Hitoshi Ozawa
January 10, 2011 6:15 PM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

How about Java updates?
If there's not strange terrafic on the net, it must be some scheduled event if shutdown always happens at the same time. Something like a database backup?
Is it just Liferay that's shutting down or it Windows shutting down?
Sharath Babu A
January 11, 2011 5:16 AM
Answer

Sharath Babu A

Recent Posts

Hi

Have you done over writing of shutdown property(may be in the portal-ext.properties file). And one more guess is "Have change any settings at Control Panel->settings->Server Administration->Shut Down tab"..

Rgds,
Hitoshi Ozawa
January 11, 2011 1:48 PM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

simon tuffle:
Hi

Have you done over writing of shutdown property(may be in the portal-ext.properties file). And one more guess is "Have change any settings at Control Panel->settings->Server Administration->Shut Down tab"..

Rgds,

This is interesting. Would like to know which portal.properties would periodically shut down the server.
I thought Server Administration->Shut Down tab was just for one time shutdown. Is there a setting to make this periodic?
Ed F.
January 13, 2011 8:23 AM
Answer

Ed F.

Recent Posts

Hitoshi Ozawa:
How about Java updates?
If there's not strange terrafic on the net, it must be some scheduled event if shutdown always happens at the same time. Something like a database backup?
Is it just Liferay that's shutting down or it Windows shutting down?

I'm working on updating java, someone's supposed to take care of that but it looks a bit behind.

It's just Liferay shutting down, not Windows, and it's not always at the same time. It still seems random.

Thanks very much for help.
-Ed
Ed F.
January 13, 2011 8:26 AM
Answer

Ed F.

Recent Posts

simon tuffle:

Hi Simon, thanks for suggestions. I haven't changed anything for the shutdown property, and certainly not since this started happening.

Also the shutdown tab does seem to be a one-time shutdown, I haven't messed with it at all. I suppose it's possible someone else has accessed the account and is shutting down the server with this method, but it seems pretty unlikely to me.
Hitoshi Ozawa
January 13, 2011 2:00 PM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

Check if Control Panel Server page is accessible from non-admin account and can't you monitor and check users who are using Liferay? If it's happening often, I'm sure you can reduce from who always seems to be logged in when the server shuts down. You can also set up Windows to monitor running processes. I really don't this is a problem with Liferay but more of an operational problem at your site.
Conrad Johnston
January 13, 2011 2:24 PM
Answer

Conrad Johnston

Recent Posts

Hi,

If you are on Windows and you are using the scripts (startup/shutdown) to control your Apache Tomcat/Liferay then its possible that someone logging into the machine will force the user logged in running the batch files to logout, thereby terminating Apache Tomcat liferay in the process.

This can happen directly at the server console or if someone is logging on via rdp and takes over the console session using "mstsc /admin" or "mstsc /console" (depending on the flavour of RDP you have installed)

If you run your Apache Tomcat as a windows service the above will not be possible unless they deliberately stop the service or reboot/shutdown the server.

If you wanted to check if this is what was happening to you check the security event logs around the time your tomcat died. You might want to filter by category "account logon".

Rgds,

C.
Ed F.
January 14, 2011 8:15 AM
Answer

Ed F.

Recent Posts

Thanks C, there are actually no events at all for security, but I definitely should change Tomcat over to a service.

I think I'll just do my best to monitor the server. I know it's hard to pinpoint and I thank everyone very much for their suggestions.

-Ed
Hitoshi Ozawa
January 16, 2011 2:41 PM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

That's we're mentioning security, Liferay 5.x CE has some security holes. It recommended to upgrade to the latest CE version/release to get them patched up. The other method is buy EE version and get the latest official security patches from Liferay.
B Liferay
December 15, 2011 4:00 AM
Answer

B Liferay

Recent Posts

Hi Ed,
have you solved this problem? I'm experiencing the same issue with Liferay 6.0.6 CE on Linux.

It would be great if you have any hint to give.
bye
Ben