toggle
Johannes Dieterich
Linking web content to web content
March 28, 2011 5:51 AM
Answer

Johannes Dieterich

Recent Posts

Hello everyone,

In my company we need web content to include link lists to other web content. As of today you can only link to a page which requires to tediously prepare a dedicated page for each web content.

Such a feature was already requested, though I figure the original requestor was thinking about linking content from within the CK editor.

I would like to have the following:
- Add a new field type "web content link" to web content structures.
- The article form should then display a "Select" Button, which should bring up a search form allowing to search by web content name or structure(!)
- In the template, I should be able to access the URL through the "url" property and the web content name through the "data" property.

What do you think?

Best regards
Johannes
Szymon Gołębiewski
RE: Linking web content to web content
March 29, 2011 5:14 AM
Answer

Szymon Gołębiewski

Recent Posts

As I know such functionality wasn't made for any existing CMS system. Problem is when you have site bigger than plain blog then even with advanced search form you will still get load of articles to choose from. From usability POV it's simplier and faster to digg your article by clicking over your site and just copying URL of that article.

Another problem is relation to that article. If you move it its URL adress will change. But this problem can be solved by using macros in the way wiki engines do it.
Johannes Dieterich
April 1, 2011 1:02 AM
Answer

Johannes Dieterich

Recent Posts

Hi Szymon,

thank you for your feedback. Maybe I need to explain a little more the rationale for my feature suggestion.
Isn't referential integrity part of what CMS's are all about? Content links are as far as I know a standard feature of CMS's (it is, for example, in CoreMedia).

The problem with liferay is that it only allows to link articles to pages (which is fine) but not to other articles (which requires to manually create a page for each article - tedious and not originally editor's work).

Szymon Gołębiewski:
Problem is when you have site bigger than plain blog then even with advanced search form you will still get load of articles to choose from. From usability POV it's simplier and faster to digg your article by clicking over your site and just copying URL of that article.

IMHO searching for an article should be faster and more convenient - especially on a large site! If you didn't know where exactly the page was, wouldn't you have to use the site's search feature anyway? Also, what if the page isn't linked anymore because the article is two months old?
And again: What if there is no page? But I grant you that the search dialogue should probably be more powerful.

Szymon Gołębiewski:
Another problem is relation to that article. If you move it its URL adress will change. But this problem can be solved by using macros in the way wiki engines do it.

That problem only arises if you take your described approach with copying urls.
Juan Fernández
April 1, 2011 12:15 AM
Answer

Juan Fernández

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Hi Johannes:

We have the required infrastructure to implement this (it is called Asset Link), but we need to develop the UI. Our idea to implement this is much wider: not only link web contents, but all kind of assets, so that you can link a blog entry with a web content, a web content with several DL documents and the documents with, say, wiki pages.

One thing needed to link contents is a unique way to show the web content, as you said, and I've been working on it lately, so problem solved (still finishing it, though).

The next step would be to create the UI that allows the user to choose what kind of asset he wants to link and the popup you defined with a search form to look for the actual asset.

Will this be fine to cover your needs?
Thanks for sharing your ideas
Johannes Dieterich
April 1, 2011 12:52 AM
Answer

Johannes Dieterich

Recent Posts

Hi Juan,

that sounds very, very interesting. I couldn't derive the concept of the "asset link" as you describe it from the issue and attached wiki article though. The description there focuses on the asset publisher portlet.

Could you confirm that the implementation will include links between assets as I understand from your post? It should, for example, allow to create a "related articles" link list in a web content.
If you also include the option to choose assets by web content structure, I'd be thrilled - When can we have it? :-)
Juan Fernández
April 1, 2011 1:07 AM
Answer

Juan Fernández

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Johannes Dieterich:

I couldn't derive the concept of the "asset link" as you describe it from the issue and attached wiki article though. The description there focuses on the asset publisher portlet.

Misunderstanding here. I said that this is a required step to link web contents in a unique way, not that this is the implementation of the asset link. This is a required previous step that will allow us to implement what you are proposing.

Johannes Dieterich:
Could you confirm that the implementation will include links between assets as I understand from your post? It should, for example, allow to create a "related articles" link list in a web content.

That's the idea, but we haven't stated a date to start working on this feature yet, even though I'm very interested in implementing this, as many customer have asked for this feature lately.

As long as I know something about this, I'll update this thread.

Johannes Dieterich:
If you also include the option to choose assets by web content structure, I'd be thrilled - When can we have it? :-)

We can anaylize this requirement too, but as I said before, no dates for the moment.
Thanks for the feedback! emoticon
Szymon Gołębiewski
April 1, 2011 2:06 AM
Answer

Szymon Gołębiewski

Recent Posts

Johannes Dieterich:

Oh, so you want "related articles" functionality! Now I uderstand.
I agree with you Johannes. Such structure element should allow to choose desired asset and store its ID. Why ID? Beacuse asset can change their location in portal (for example file can be moved from one folder in document library to another).
Jorge Ferrer
April 1, 2011 3:58 AM
Answer

Jorge Ferrer

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

With the existing AssetLink backend stores the references using the assetEntryId.

One aspect that we still have to think through is how to handle export/import and staging operations. We can either store UUIDs instead of db ids or make the conversion in the export/import process.
Eduard Saldaña
July 28, 2011 5:09 AM
Answer

Eduard Saldaña

Recent Posts

Hi Juan!

I'm also really interested in related articles, can you give me any new feedback of this new structure or if are there already any dates to implement this?

Thank you very much!
Marina Ra
August 2, 2012 2:50 AM
Answer

Marina Ra

Recent Posts

Hey!

Just stumbled across this post. Desperately need this feature too to internally link my knowledge base articles together and export/import them without breaking the links! Is this issue resolved yet? Because asset publisher isn´t exactly what I was looking for...
Juan Fernández
August 2, 2012 3:11 AM
Answer

Juan Fernández

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Sure, Marina: it's already implemented in Liferay.
Which version are you using?
THanks,
Juan
Marina Ra
August 2, 2012 6:28 AM
Answer

Marina Ra

Recent Posts

Hi Juan!

Thanks for answering. I´m using 6.1.0. In case you´re talking about the asset publisher that´s not exactly what I need. I´d like to link one article (in my case knowledge base articles) to another one (like here linking articles between pages . ) Tried that, didn´t work emoticon Using the "insert link" button in the html editor does do the trick when i copy paste the URL. However after export/importing my site to another portal the links break due to change of primkeys of the article emoticon

How do I use your implementation (without breaking my links after export )?

many thanks in advance