RE: Kick off of roadmap discussion
December 7, 2006 4:45 PM
Answer

Jorge Ferrer

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Ray Auge:
One concern I have is with SCORM.

How should we tackle this? Scribe implements SCORM, but if we build additional portlets, or extend the portal with LMS features does Scribe provide us with a means to smoothly bridge them with SCORM?

Perhaps Alvaro, could describe this for us. Alvaro, do you know when Scribe will be compatible with 4.2.x?

Hi Ray,

The support that scribe provides for SCORM is to add a layer on top of JCR to allow storing and searching scorm contents. It also provides some portlets to create SCORM contents.

Scribe is modularized so Liferay can just use the core API to create our own portlets. That would give us the most flexibility. Also, I think that the core part already works with Liferay 4.2 Probably there are some missing stuff related to the new permission system, but we can help them with that.
atul patel
December 18, 2006 9:45 PM
Answer

atul patel

Recent Posts

Sorry all. I've been away for awhile and not monitoring the forums. (Does this forum send emails when new posts come in?) Forgive me as I am new to liferay and that what I am describing may not be the best solution for this platform.

I hadn't considered the notion of a course being a repurposed community page... Interesting concept. I can see how one would arrive to that solution to quickly produce courseware / content.

I would suggest that a series of new objects be created to support course/training world while using the existing portlets as content for a course. This would probably create the most flexibility and allow for external content to be tracked as a course as well. We should try and use the SCORM specification for managing learning objects as much as possible (why reinvent the wheel)

We should definately add SCORM and AICC support. Here are some examples of classes / objects we should add. Ive broken the objects into 2 versions. Version 1.0 represents the minimum needed to launch and track a course. Version 1.2 adds skills / competency management to the mix. Ideally we would want to have the version 1.2 items in place from the beginning to prevent migration issues later. Let me know your thoughts. Should we roll it all up into a Version 1.0?

Version 1.0
Enrollment (record assocating a course with a user)
Catalog (record organizing a group of courses (this catalog could be permision, by org, community, etc)
Course (title, description, url, tracking type (scorm, aicc, access only, not tracked, classroom)
CourseTrackingModule(handles state changes, bookmarking etc)

Version 1.2
Skills
Assessments
Competencies
Retraining Rules
Learning Objectives

I believe some of these classes can be extensions to existing code and/or classes but am not familiar enough to make that mapping.

SCORM courses tend to be delivered as packaged content and are suppose to be transportable between learning management systems. This is where we will run into issues with portability. This isn't an issue that liferay is alone in. The quiz and testing funcationality is highly sought after, needs to be easy to use, but solutions tend to be learning management server dependent. I think sacrificing portability for effective training is acceptable and let the user decide if they want portability. If so, they can develop the quiz functionality externally to liferay and liferay would render the quiz just like any other content. Please note there may be a mechanism in SCORM that would allow the content to reside external to the package -- I'm not an expert (yet) on SCORM but will hopefully fill this knowledge gap soon.

Would it be possible to setup a conference call to discuss? I'm leaving at the end of the week and would love to help make some progress if possible. I'll be out of country for a couple of months but "should" have some internet access. I heard there is internet access in the village/town I'm going to visit.

If anyone has some questions about courses/scorm/aicc, I would be more than happy to answer what I can.

I'd also like to hear from the community what demand there is for this functionality. Comments? Do you think we have enough information to make a road map / move to publish a requirements doc?

Cheers,

--Atul
Sandeep Nair
November 25, 2010 8:13 AM
Answer

Sandeep Nair

Recent Posts

I know this is a dead horse right now but any idea how to integrete Scorm 1.2 compliant module in liferay
Jari Järvelä
May 23, 2011 10:57 PM
Answer

Jari Järvelä

Recent Posts

Hi,

we are currently working with a SCORM player portlet and we will release the source code shortly in GitHub (https://github.com/arcusys). Currently the portlet "plays" SCORM content without exchanging any information with the Liferay. The portlet in current development phase supports SCORM 2004.

We aim to develop a quiz portlet as well to support Liferay use as a learning environment. Our aim is not to develop a Liferay LMS, instead the idea is to develop open and social learning environments and opportunities using Liferay. I am personally very convinced that Liferay witholds a huge potential as an online learning tool.

I started a Twitter profile sharing my insights and activities regarding development of Liferay as a online learning tool. The address of the Twitter profile: www.twitter.com/jarijarvela.

Best regards,

Jari
Sandeep Nair
May 23, 2011 11:17 PM
Answer

Sandeep Nair

Recent Posts

That is an awesome contribution. Will it be released under MIT license?

Regards,
Sandeep
Janne Hietala
June 10, 2011 12:02 AM
Answer

Janne Hietala

Recent Posts

It has been released!

Br,
Janne
Showing 21 - 26 of 26 results.