Gregory Amerson
SDK folder question
July 7, 2010 7:50 AM
Answer

Gregory Amerson

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Péter Füzi:

An XP user (me) reports about his problem.
I'm stopped at Liferay Plug-ins SDK Setup / step 5. What particular IDE-SDK folder or file should be browsed in this field? I'm over the installation with success. Unfortunately I'm a newbie in Eclipse technology. Most likely it concludes me as I cannot give the correct place of the IDE SDK installed.

May I appreciate your guidance?
Thank you: Péter

Hello Péter,

The Liferay Plug-ins SDK zip file that you download does not create a parent folder when you unzip it. So when you have the liferay-plugins-sdk-6.0.2.zip file, first create your own folder called "plugins-sdk" and then unzip the contents of that file into that directory. Under that directory you should have the entries like "plugins-sdk/clients", "plugins-sdk/ext", .... THen in step 5 click the Browse on the Add SDK dialog and select that "plugins-sdk" folder. That should get you going.
Péter Füzi
RE: SDK folder question
July 8, 2010 10:37 AM
Answer

Péter Füzi

Recent Posts

Hi Greg,

Thank you. I review once again my installation session, and merge your answer in the scene. With your help it must work. As soon as I achive progress, I give a feedback.

Kind regards: Péter
Péter Füzi
July 9, 2010 4:15 AM
Answer

Péter Füzi

Recent Posts

refer please the setup procedure in concern at
http://www.liferay.com/community/wiki/-/wiki/Main/Liferay%20IDE%20Getting%20Started%20Tutorial#section-Liferay+IDE+Getting+Started+Tutorial-LiferayPlugInsSDKSetup

Well, Greg
I'm over the review with the findings below.

1. Liferay IDE plugins can be found within my Eclipse Galileo v3.5.2 installation. There are two Liferay folders under C:\Program Files\eclipse\plugins one for portlet.core, one for portlet.ui.
2. Eclipse is aware of the IDE installation: the Help About window reveals presence of Liferay plugin.
3. I used the stable version as source of the LR IDE plugin and I executed step 3a, i.e. I downloaded the plugin with the Download button within the procedure.

Well, after these preparations I constantly fail with giving a correct path in step 4-7. I try to enter either of the two folder names above (e.g. for core: C:\Program Files\Eclipse\plugins\com.liferay.ide.eclipse.portlet.core_1.0.0.v201006141713), but in wain. The New Liferay SDK dialogue window always rejects the attempt with "Location must be a valid Liferay SDK" message.

I bet me, the enthusiastic beginner emoticon misunderstands or misoperates something, but I cannot find the problem.

Thanks for your care,
Péter
Gregory Amerson
July 9, 2010 5:15 AM
Answer

Gregory Amerson

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Thanks for the detailed follow-up. I understand your confusion and the source of the issues. What the "Installed SDKs" preference page is configuring is an installation of the Liferay Plug-ins SDK which is a separate installation from the Liferay IDE itself.

The Liferay Plug-ins SDK is a separate download and can be used without the IDE all-together but the IDE using it for project creation so you must have it configured to operation correctly.

So your next steps can be one of the following:
- Simply click the "download" button on the Installed SDK preference page and it will automatically download the latest SDK (6.0.2) and install it into the directory that you select (dialog prompt after download button is pressed)

OR

- Go to the Sourceforge.net URL to download the latest plugins sdk. http://sourceforge.net/projects/lportal/files/
- download that zip file, and unzip it to a new folder called liferay-plugins-sdk-6.0.2
- then add the SDK to the Installed SDKs preference page using the add SDK dialog and browse to the newly created "liferay-plugin-sdk-6.0.2" folder.

Hope this helps!
Péter Füzi
July 9, 2010 10:10 AM
Answer

Péter Füzi

Recent Posts

Gregory Amerson:

- Simply click the "download" button on the Installed SDK preference page and it will automatically download the latest SDK (6.0.2) and install it into the directory that you select (dialog prompt after download button is pressed)

... this approach was successful, excellent progress emoticon !
---------

(Meanwhile I realized, my Liferay was v5.3.2, that would basically violate the IDE requirements. I upgrade my Liferay to or install a v6 from scratch and then I go ahead.)

Thank you, Greg!
Regards, Péter
Gregory Amerson
July 9, 2010 2:45 PM
Answer

Gregory Amerson

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Great! glad you are up and running on the SDK and let us know if you run into any other issues.