Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
Dave Weitzel
Getting started with Portlets
June 29, 2010 8:12 AM
Answer

Dave Weitzel

Recent Posts

I am trying to use the IDE to get started with understanding portlets to assess skills required.
I am having trouble extending the sample code autogenerated by the IDE to do anything

I assume I need to include a new file init.jsp or similar to include the relevant tag libraries etc (looking at other portlets as examples.

I get errors such as :

The absolute uri: http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core cannot be resolved in either web.xml or the jar files deployed with this application
at org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.jspError(DefaultErrorHandler.java:40)

and (after adding the taglib in web.xml).
:
Failed to load or instantiate TagLibraryValidator class: org.apache.taglibs.standard.tlv.JstlCoreTLV

Is there a more complete example jsp project that can be imported to get people to a faster adoption of portlets?

if not what is a good site to learn how to set up portlet project sand start coding jsps for portlets?
Gregory Amerson
RE: Getting started with Portlets
July 9, 2010 8:59 AM
Answer

Gregory Amerson

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Dave Weitzel:

I get errors such as :

The absolute uri: http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core cannot be resolved in either web.xml or the jar files deployed with this application
at org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.jspError(DefaultErrorHandler.java:40)

and (after adding the taglib in web.xml).
:
Failed to load or instantiate TagLibraryValidator class: org.apache.taglibs.standard.tlv.JstlCoreTLV

Those errors can be fixed by adding jstl to your portal dependencies. In your portlet plugin open the liferay-plugin-package.properties file. GO to the 2nd tab and in the portal dependency jars click Add and then type in "jstl" and addl both the jstl jars. Also go to the portal dependency tlds and add all of the c-*.tld files that you may need. Then those taglib references will not give you those errors.

Dave Weitzel:
Is there a more complete example jsp project that can be imported to get people to a faster adoption of portlets?

if not what is a good site to learn how to set up portlet project sand start coding jsps for portlets?

You can download all of the source from the Liferay Plugins SDK from SVN which contains hundreds of liferay plugins that range from simple to complex. Once you have that checked out you can import those SDK projects by using the File > Import > Liferay > SDK Projects import wizard.

NOTE many of the projects will still have build path errors because those plugins assume there is no Liferay IDE configured and are assuming you have the liferay portal source installed.

One thing we plan on adding in a future edition of the IDE is example workspaces that jump-start your portlet development with dozens of plugin projects out of the box.
Dave Weitzel
July 13, 2010 6:31 AM
Answer

Dave Weitzel

Recent Posts

Thanks for the pointers Greg,

BTW how do we get mail notification of replies?
Gregory Amerson
July 13, 2010 6:39 AM
Answer

Gregory Amerson

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Dave Weitzel:
Thanks for the pointers Greg,

BTW how do we get mail notification of replies?
There are two ways, you can either subscribe to an individual topic (in the top right-hand corner of this page there is a "Subscribe" link). You must be logged in to subscribe.

Also you can subscribe to the entire Liferay IDE category by going to the Liferay IDE category page and clicking the Subscribe link there.