toggle
Muhammed asma khanam
how can i make my site load fastly
June 15, 2010 9:21 PM
Answer

Muhammed asma khanam

Recent Posts

Hello Everyone,
We have developed a site using liferay. when i specify render-weight to 0 for custom portlet it worked fine for few days. after some time the site is slow again. I am using mysql as back end. if i restart the mysql server its loading little bit fast for the day. As its not a good process to restart the mysql server daily. can anyone suggest me how can i make my site http://www.tv5money.com load fastly.
SZ khan
RE: how can i make my site load fastly
June 16, 2010 1:10 AM
Answer

SZ khan

Recent Posts

Hello,
How do you measure the speed of your portal? I also think it doesn't depend solely on liferay. There are lots of other factors like the type of content delivered, hardware, upload bandwidth and database settings etc. Database optimization tips for mysql are also widely available.
Tomas Polesovsky
RE: how can i make my site load fastly
June 16, 2010 1:18 AM
Answer

Tomas Polesovsky

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Hello,

it depends on many things. First of all you should know your bottleneck, where is your problem.

Maybe you have small memory limits, thus your GC is working too much. Maybe you have no memory so your machine is swapping. Maybe your CPU is slow - you need employ HTTP server on another server for static resource serving, turn on caches or turn off unused servlet filters. Maybe you cache too much objects and you need to increase your memory. Maybe you cache wrong objects. Maybe you don't need caching, your site makes many database write operations. Maybe you have small throughput between Liferay and MySQL server. Maybe you have slow disk for MySQL. Maybe there is too much threads so your app. server is unable to serve them quickly. Maybe one of your portlets is quering your database too often. Maybe there is memory leak in your portlet. Maybe there is thread lock in your portlet which waste your thread resources. Maybe someone tries to make DOS emoticon Etc.

It really depends emoticon

Try to look how much is your memory/cpu used, how big is machines' average load to know where you can go.
Try to set up JMX and look at EhCache caches, active threads count, c3p0 connections, your memory.
Try to do some load testing (in blind time frame) to know how big load are your servers able to hold (what is your throughput) and try to compare it with your real load.
If is everything ok, try to do profiling to know where is your Liferay sleeping most of time.

After then you can apply a patch to spread your load. Until this, you will be only aiming and firing at ghosts.

-- tom