toggle
Christoph Rabel
"Migrating" from SUN Portal
September 24, 2009 9:37 AM
Answer

Christoph Rabel

Recent Posts

Hi!

We are currently evaluating options for migrating an existing portal infrastructure to a new one. Of course, since we are using Sun Portal 7 at the moment, WebSynergy or Liferay comes to mind. We are not sure what we will use in the future and I hope you can give me some insights whats possible with this framework.

When I tried a test installation of Liferay I just noticed that I have no clue how to create varied pages for our many users.
The question is more or less "How can our current organisational/rights structure be rebuild with Liferay?"

Basically SUN Portal allows you to specify through inheritance and aggregation to control on a very granular level what a user sees. So, a user with a role X (roles work differently there, not only giving rights) might have a different text in a page title then a user with another role.

Also roles "add" information. To give an example:
We have a bookmark application, where links are predefined by the admin for everyone (e.g. todays menu). Roles can add further links to this channel. Please note that there is no programming necessary, the portal engine simply combines all valid organisations and roles configuration to a new one.

Basically my question is, is that kind of aggregation possible? Is it possible to add content with "roles" (I don't care if it is done with Usergroups, Communities or whatever).

I hope this question is at least somewhat clear, its very difficult to describe my concern because I basically just spend a few hours with Liferay until now ;-)

Thanks for any advise, Chris
Lisa Simpson
RE: "Migrating" from SUN Portal
September 24, 2009 12:40 PM
Answer

Lisa Simpson

Recent Posts

You might look at using LDAP or something else to define your user rights.
Christoph Rabel
September 25, 2009 12:45 AM
Answer

Christoph Rabel

Recent Posts

I already have LDAP roles. This question is not about user rights, its about the current portal design and how a similar thing could be done with liferay.

Our current portal does not allow the users a lot of freedom. It has a lot of fixed containers (pages in LR) and channels (applications in LR). Which pages and which applications he gets is controlled by roles. It goes so far that the content of applications is affected by roles.

This stuff can easily done by SUN Portal, but at the moment I have no idea how I might replace this with liferay. I will take a look at Websynergy next week, maybe then things get clearer.

Thanks!

Christoph
Lisa Simpson
September 25, 2009 8:20 AM
Answer

Lisa Simpson

Recent Posts

You should probably take a look at the Roles in Liferay. Its possible but tedious to define custom roles. IMHO, the documentation on this is rather on the spotty side from the Liferay devs. What is really needed is a matrix of roles to actions for the default roles. Using the default roles often has some unexpected side effect.
Jorge Ferrer
June 1, 2010 1:38 AM
Answer

Jorge Ferrer

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Hi Christoff,

I don't know SUN Portal permissions in detail, but Liferay's permissions is also very granular (maybe more).

Using the scenario you described, you can, for example, specify for each of the bookmarks in the application which roles have permission to "View" them. That way each user will only see certain bookmarks depending on his/her roles.

In any case, I would recommend you to contact our sales people (sales at liferay.com) since there are quite a few SUN Portal users migrating or considering migrating to Liferay so I'm pretty sure they'll be able to help you with that.
Anonymous
July 28, 2011 1:26 AM
Answer

Anonymous

Hi,

I understand that Sun Web Space is built on top of Liferay. Is it so? If that is the case how difficult is to migrate from Sun web space to Liferay.

Regards,
Liferay questions
Thiago Leão Moreira
July 28, 2011 10:43 AM
Answer

Thiago Leão Moreira

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

There is a white paper that could help to answer some of your quetions, check it out: Sun Web Space Migration Guide