RE: Relaunch Liferay Website Olaf Kock March 17, 2010 1:25 PM
RE: Relaunch Liferay Website Milan Jaroš March 19, 2010 2:31 AM
Thomas Weckert
Relaunch Liferay Website
January 18, 2010 6:08 AM
Answer

Thomas Weckert

Recent Posts

First of all, congratulations for the new website design and layout, which looks much smarter than the previous one.

However, I have to say that the light blue color for the linked subject lines in the forum list really irritates my eyes. Does anybody experience the same?

Second, in forum posts the links are formatted exactly the same as the other text- you cannot see that there is a link at all in the text. Can somebody at Liferay fix the CSS and either make links underlined, or bold, or have a different color? You can find an example here.

Cheers, Thomas
Brian Kim
RE: Relaunch Liferay Website
January 18, 2010 6:09 AM
Answer

Brian Kim

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the kind words. Our team worked hard to get this new design out the door.

I'll bring your feedback to light with our team to discuss.

Best,
--
Brian Kim
Olaf Kock
January 19, 2010 8:40 AM
Answer

Olaf Kock

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

I've been curious for a while, as the new theme (and platform upgrade) has been talked about at the european symposium. So far I like the overall design. Good work!

I agree with the links being hardly recognizeable (actually, they're red, but this might be some daltonism issue), More important though, I'm already missing some features that have been available earlier - and there's another general comment:
  • OpenId Login: Simply doesn't work. The portal seems to believe I'm logged in, but I'm not.
  • The message boards had a select box to choose how many messages to see. This has been convenient to quickly scan through a number of recent messages or the list of messages I've participated in, in order to see if some new discussion has been added. This one is completely gone.
  • Liferay.com is now among the pages that ask me to agree with a lengthy privacy policy where I can only view about 4 lines at a time. I understand why privacy policies are necessary, but if you've got nothing to hide, why not show it completely - or at least provide a link to read it in a more convenient format than in a 4 line textbox?

If I find more things I'd like to have: Is this the place to post them? (Where) would you like to have more feedback posted?
Amos Fong
January 19, 2010 10:47 AM
Answer

Amos Fong

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Hey Olaf,

Regarding privacy policy, there's a link to see it in full on the bottom right. But I was under the impression no one ever read those ;)
Olaf Kock
January 19, 2010 12:07 PM
Answer

Olaf Kock

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Ok, fair enough. I didn't see it there when I was presented with the form to enter some more personal information and accept the new privacy policy.

Usually I just quickly browse it, but the fewer lines displayed at once, the more thoroughly I read it. Especially when I explicitly have to accept it. ;)
Michael Poznecki
January 20, 2010 10:34 AM
Answer

Michael Poznecki

Recent Posts

Hi, I love the new site. But I have experiences a small problem The site seems to log me out much quicker than I had experienced in the past. And once logged off, it will not log me in when I click on the "Sign In" link in the upper right corner. I have to manually type in http://www.liferay.com/c/portal/logout. Then only after I do that, will clicking on the "Sign In" link take me to a login screen. Has anyone else seen this?
Olaf Kock
January 20, 2010 10:37 AM
Answer

Olaf Kock

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

yes, trying to log in via OpenId immediately gets me this behaviour
Olaf Kock
January 20, 2010 11:24 AM
Answer

Olaf Kock

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Also - there's no more threading display options for threads in the message board. There used to be several options to indent messages or at least the tree at the top. This is really valuable on threads with more than three messages - I'd really like to have these options back. Currently it's all a linear mess.
Nagendra Kumar Busam
January 20, 2010 12:19 PM
Answer

Nagendra Kumar Busam

Recent Posts

First of all congrats on new design which looks very elegant by many means.

One more thing from my side, we have problems while adding tags when posting new thread/reply - it is taking too much time to load & it is not allowing to enter from keyboard fastly.

Thanks & Regards,
- Nagendra Kumar
Bryan Cheung
January 20, 2010 12:48 PM
Answer

Bryan Cheung

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Hi all,

As mentioned in another thread, we're trying to work out the log in issue. Also noted about the OpenID issue and the forums threading. Will talk to website team about that.

On the link color issue, for me they appear as red—is this something that changed more recently or are others not seeing that?
Michael Poznecki
January 20, 2010 12:52 PM
Answer

Michael Poznecki

Recent Posts

I do see the red links.
Olaf Kock
January 20, 2010 1:09 PM
Answer

Olaf Kock

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Hi Brian,

thanks again. The links are red, but a somewhat large percentage of population has some difficulties recognizing this color - especially in contrast to green: Both seem somewhat grey, which is close to black, thus unrecognizeable when used in a thin font like in the message boards.

This is what I wanted to express with "daltonism" which is a word I didn't know but looked up - don't know if it's a common translation. In german it's like being "red-green-blind", and it's just the difference you're blind to.

I believe that this might be the issue recognizing the links.

Cheers,
Olaf
Bryan Cheung
January 20, 2010 1:27 PM
Answer

Bryan Cheung

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

The message boards had a select box to choose how many messages to see. This has been convenient to quickly scan through a number of recent messages or the list of messages I've participated in, in order to see if some new discussion has been added. This one is completely gone.

Olaf, can you expound on this? I don't know exactly which option you are talking about.
Bryan Cheung
January 20, 2010 1:29 PM
Answer

Bryan Cheung

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Olaf, yes, here in the US we refer to that as color-blindness. We use tests like these:

I'll talk to the design team about it.
Olaf Kock
January 20, 2010 11:00 PM
Answer

Olaf Kock

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Bryan Cheung:
The message boards had a select box to choose how many messages to see. This has been convenient to quickly scan through a number of recent messages or the list of messages I've participated in, in order to see if some new discussion has been added. This one is completely gone.

Olaf, can you expound on this? I don't know exactly which option you are talking about.

Sure. I'm talking about the number of messages shown at once on the Category overviews. There's now only a select box to choose the page, there used to be one to select the number of items to show at once - like here. I love to maximize this number to browse through the most recent posts when I come back after some days - especially when there's so much new stuff as on liferay.com
Olaf Kock
January 20, 2010 11:13 PM
Answer

Olaf Kock

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

I had a feeling that I shouldn't translate this literally... I should have. This term is (literally translated) also known in german. And yes: I find not all of those images easy to 'decipher'
Sandeep Nair
January 21, 2010 1:24 AM
Answer

Sandeep Nair

Recent Posts

I love the new website. It looks good and it is lot faster than previous one. Congrats to one and all involved emoticon

Regards,
Sandeep
G P
January 21, 2010 1:56 AM
Answer

G P

Recent Posts

Congrats to the team!! Really this looks great and too faster than the earlier site.
Olaf Kock
January 21, 2010 9:31 AM
Answer

Olaf Kock

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Olaf Kock:
OpenId Login: Simply doesn't work. The portal seems to believe I'm logged in, but I'm not.

Works - I'm currently logged in via OpenId. Hooray.

Thanks a lot.
Lisa Simpson
January 21, 2010 11:32 AM
Answer

Lisa Simpson

Recent Posts

I have to say that the light blue is a bummer for me too! It's light blue on light blue in a lot of cases... not enough contrast to be really readable.
Jonathan Neal
January 21, 2010 1:47 PM
Answer

Jonathan Neal

Recent Posts

Hi Olaf,

I wanna jump in and say that I know for a fact we've been able to make two improvements to the accessibility of the forums thanks to your feedback. I know because I'm the guy who writes a lot of the HTML and CSS. emoticon

Now, when it comes to the shades of blue of text on the shades of gray, there's always room for discussion (as is the case since the advent of css), there's always ongoing trial (let's try this, ew, no not that, let's try this, ooo that's nice), and at the end of the day, it's the aesthetic choice of the team. Hey, plus, I'm color blind, so I'd be the first to whine if I truly couldn't get around. Again, the rest is a matter of taste.

In regards to the number of discussions viewable in a category; it was a design decision to simplify the overall look and feel of the forums. I feel ya though, sometimes you just wanna get the mega list of everything for some quick page searching. For instance, Facebook kinda got around this by ajaxing content as you scrolled down the page. Maybe we could look into adding a setting for users to choose the number of threads they see in their user settings. There are always a lot of good ideas, and sometimes it's just good the way it is. The best part is that it's never done and there's always something to improve.

Again, your stuff is good food for thought and action, and it's only by your input (and others who are willing to take the time to express these ideas) that we're able to get the site looking as good as it gets and to meet the needs of our community.

PLEASE keep sharing.

P.S: I noticed I click "Save" instead of "Post", I kinda wanna change that too.
Nate Cavanaugh
January 21, 2010 2:13 PM
Answer

Nate Cavanaugh

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Hi Olaf,
Thanks so much for all of your feedback. It's greatly appreciated and has really helped us begin the refining stage.

I wanted to add one comment on the Items Per Page selector. As Jon mentioned earlier, it was a design decision to cut down on noise.
However, I think you are the first person to mention this being an issue. There may be more people who prefer it the other way, but for now we're doing a bit more research.

However, if you use Firefox, and happen to use Greasemonkey (and if you don't I highly recommend it), I put together a quick Greasemonkey script to add in the functionality you're looking for.
If nothing else, this should help fill the void for you in the interim. http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/66933

About the other comments regarding contrast, our primary goal was to lighten up the website over the previous version to help foster communication. However, high contrast wasn't our initial goal.

What we're looking into is to develop a modified color scheme for high contrast usage that a user can opt into in the settings drop down at the very top.
We're still discussing the idea, but if you have any comments on that, or think it would or wouldn't be helpful, let us know.

Thanks again for all of the insights and comments,
Olaf Kock
January 21, 2010 11:10 PM
Answer

Olaf Kock

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Nate Cavanaugh:
However, if you use Firefox, and happen to use Greasemonkey (and if you don't I highly recommend it), I put together a quick Greasemonkey script to add in the functionality you're looking for.
If nothing else, this should help fill the void for you in the interim. http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/66933

Hi Nate,

funny, I guessed that the control disappeared on purpose and actually had this in mind. This way I don't even need to get my hands dirty: Works like a charm. Thanks a lot!

Olaf
Olaf Kock
January 21, 2010 11:27 PM
Answer

Olaf Kock

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Hi Jonathan,

thanks for this feedback. Well, with Nate's script there's only one thing I'm missing (that I currently know of) in my way to use the site - and this one is well visible here: It's the message threading. Look at this thread and decide who answered to whom - There are now 23 messages in this thread and it's difficult to figure out some order. (I understand that you want to de-clutter the interface, in this case I think it's too much information that's removed)

I guess the functionality is still there and I'll need to compare this with our liferay installation and create just another greasemonkey-script with the controls... But that'll only give me what I want. Of course, for me it's fine to get what I want - I'll leave it to your judgement if everybody else should also get what I want emoticon

Cheers,
Olaf
Corné Aussems
January 24, 2010 3:54 AM
Answer

Corné Aussems

Recent Posts

I vote for this tree view thing a cross-reference to my post

http://www.liferay.com/community/forums/-/message_boards/message/4514025

I now have the combination or flat view and even manipulating it manually doesn't work

?_19_threadView=tree
Sandeep Nair
January 24, 2010 9:32 PM
Answer

Sandeep Nair

Recent Posts

Hi,

The only inconvenience i faced with new website is the pagination. I have to scroll down to change page. Also in last theme there was option to see upto 75 posts on single page. I wish if it could be brought back, so that i can quickly go through my posts.

Regards,
Sandeep
Olaf Kock
January 26, 2010 12:45 PM
Answer

Olaf Kock

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

see Nate's Greasemonkey script mentioned in this thread for the 75 entries to be displayed.

<ahem...> I hope your vote to get this functionality back into the public theme has been heard. ;-)
Sandeep Nair
January 28, 2010 4:14 AM
Answer

Sandeep Nair

Recent Posts

Thanks,

Is it a bonus or something i can see 200 posts a time which was 75 in last website.More than double bonus i would say.
Awesome!!!

Thanks once again,
Regards,
Sandeep
Olaf Kock
February 28, 2010 9:50 AM
Answer

Olaf Kock

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Jonathan Neal:
PLEASE keep sharing.

Hi Jonathan,

it seems that my former complaints have mostly been heard. Just recently (read: today) I noticed that the "Recent Changes" (or whatever it used to be called) for the Wiki were not available. Either this is another information hiding through colors, me not seeing the obvious, or it really is missing. I have the habit of sometimes looking into changed content on the wiki, and the "global" recent changes are a valuable resource for that. It's only the history for the single page that I've found. That is: If I find a changed page, I can see the diffs.

Jonathan Neal:
P.S: I noticed I click "Save" instead of "Post", I kinda wanna change that too.

Feel lucky you are not using the german l10n. There's a lot of translations that should be merged from 6.0 to 5.2 EE (e.g. this site). ;-)
Jonathan Neal
February 28, 2010 10:35 PM
Answer

Jonathan Neal

Recent Posts

Olaf Kock:
Just recently (read: today) I noticed that the "Recent Changes" (or whatever it used to be called) for the Wiki were not available. Either this is another information hiding through colors, me not seeing the obvious, or it really is missing.

I'll look into this with some developers tomorrow morning and get back to you. emoticon
Olaf Kock
March 17, 2010 1:25 PM
Answer

Olaf Kock

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Hi Jonathan,

any "recent changes" on the "recent changes" issue?

Please don't tell me it's already there and I've missed it or I'd be really embarrassed...

Thanks,
Olaf
Milan Jaroš
March 19, 2010 2:31 AM
Answer

Milan Jaroš

Recent Posts

Hi.

According to chat-bar...
I was "fighting" for that on facebook for a long time and I'll try it here too.emoticon

So, I'm using Firefox. And when I'm looking for something on a page this word disappears behind a chat-bar. My solution is following:
 1.chat-bar {
 2    left: auto;
 3}
 4.chat-bar .chat-tabs-container {
 5    float: left;
 6}
 7.chat-bar .chat-status {
 8    display: none;
 9}

Or if you want to see status (but it is in settings, never mind):
1.chat-bar .chat-status {
2    margin-right: 20px;