Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
syed syed
Mail Portlet ?
December 31, 2004 8:36 AM
Answer

syed syed

Recent Posts

From Liferay Documentation<br />Support for integration with Microsoft Exchange and other IMAP servers are planned and will be implemented in the near future
<br />When will Microsoft Exchange Server be supported? Is there a way Mail portlet be configured to access mails from exchange server. <br /><br />I would appreciate if any help is provided on this regard.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Syed
MIchael A Ikhane
RE: Mail Portlet ?
November 10, 2006 1:22 AM
Answer

MIchael A Ikhane

Recent Posts

Hi Syed,

I just read ur message, and i am in the same shoes as ur are, i have not gotten any reply for my thread. I was wondering if there is a we can get a another mail server (free) as a substitute for liferay 4.1.2.

Thanks in Advance
Mic
emoticon
Alexander Chow
November 13, 2006 1:53 AM
Answer

Alexander Chow

Community Moderator

Recent Posts

Exchange is currently not supported.

There are several free mail servers that people use all the time with Liferay. See the documentation. The most common one used (that I know of) is Cyrus.
MIchael A Ikhane
November 14, 2006 7:46 AM
Answer

MIchael A Ikhane

Recent Posts

thanks Alex,
i have been longing to talk to you for a long time.
i checked out cyrus and dovecot, they are not for windows. i could not get washingthon imap.

i found this thread
http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/community/forums/message_boards/message/90696

Mika says he used hmail server (for windows) but he had to apply two patches, pls i would like 2 know how he did that or how i can do same.

thanks to you all at liferay.
Michael
Alexander Chow
November 14, 2006 9:41 AM
Answer

Alexander Chow

Community Moderator

Recent Posts

Yes, what Mika suggests is true. Basically, ANY mail server can be used with a Java system (like LR) because JavaMail can talk to any of the standard protocals. If you want to use the LR mail portlet, you need to use an IMAP mail server (this was a design choice because the portal does not want to store and maintain people's emails -- which it would need to do if it was on POP).

But, Mika's solution does not (as he says) have automatic account creation/management. Hence, to do that, somebody has to write a proper mail hook (see his post).
Mika Koivisto
November 14, 2006 9:56 AM
Answer

Mika Koivisto

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

MIchael A Ikhane:

Mika says he used hmail server (for windows) but he had to apply two patches, pls i would like 2 know how he did that or how i can do same.

Actually the lastest SVN trunk has a better way to do the samehing. Just implement com.liferay.portlet.mail.util.multiaccount.AccountFinder. So this will be in the upcoming 4.2 release. Here is my HMailServerAccountFinder.

1package com.liferay.portlet.mail.util.multiaccount;
 3import com.liferay.portal.model.User;
 4import com.liferay.portlet.mail.MailAccountsException;
 6public class HMailserverAccoutFinder extends SingleAccountFinder {
 8    public MailAccount findAccount(
 9            User user, String password, String accountName)
10        throws MailAccountsException {
12        return new MailAccount(
13            accountName, user.getEmailAddress(), password, user.getEmailAddress());
14    }
16}

Then just add following line to your portal-ext.properties.

1    mail.account.finder=com.liferay.portlet.mail.util.multiaccount.HMailserverAccountFinder
Anonymous
November 15, 2006 12:23 PM
Answer

Anonymous

I'm using exim as mail server and UWIMAP. on the portal.properties I'm using SendMail hook and it seems working fine if I put one account on mail-service.xml.
Can you tell me how to configure for multiple account?? I did take a look at the available doc from liferay (http://content.liferay.com/4.0.0/docs/developers/ch02s04.html) but that's for older version. do we still need to do those thing for 4.1.2? and since looks like it will be easier for version 4.2 for multiple account, can you tell me when 4.1.2 supposed to be released. Here is what I did so far:

1. Change portal.properties to use sendMail hook
2. change username and password to one of the mail account and it works fine
but if I changed to the default one which is "nobody" and "password" then it will give me java mail authentication error.
3. change the property of mail.replace = true

do I missed something? can you please give me step by step of how to do it?
Do we still need to install expect package just like the older version?

Please help me . Thanks.

Mika Koivisto:
MIchael A Ikhane:

Actually the lastest SVN trunk has a better way to do the samehing. Just implement com.liferay.portlet.mail.util.multiaccount.AccountFinder. So this will be in the upcoming 4.2 release. Here is my HMailServerAccountFinder.

1package com.liferay.portlet.mail.util.multiaccount;
 3import com.liferay.portal.model.User;
 4import com.liferay.portlet.mail.MailAccountsException;
 6public class HMailserverAccoutFinder extends SingleAccountFinder {
 8    public MailAccount findAccount(
 9            User user, String password, String accountName)
10        throws MailAccountsException {
12        return new MailAccount(
13            accountName, user.getEmailAddress(), password, user.getEmailAddress());
14    }
16}

Then just add following line to your portal-ext.properties.

1    mail.account.finder=com.liferay.portlet.mail.util.multiaccount.HMailserverAccountFinder