toggle
Ankit Pancholi
How liferay 5.2 Support multiple websites
April 23, 2009 7:35 AM
Answer

Ankit Pancholi

Recent Posts

Hi

http://www.cmswire.com/cms/enterprise-cms/liferay-portal-52-adds-cms-web-20-integration-003907.php

looking at the above link for the following point.

Control Panel: The new control panel unifies portal administration from within a single interface. This new version aims at simplifying deployment and management of multiple websites, team sites, intranets, and customer portals from a shared Liferay Portal infrastructure (multi-tenant portal).

Can any one provide the step of how this things work.

1. how does multiple websites works with liferay. what does this point exactly mean

2. whats the use of portal instances provide in control panel

Does liferay support multiple liferay instances deployed under one tomcat server

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Ankit Pancholi
Artur Linhart
RE: How liferay 5.2 Support multiple websites
April 23, 2009 8:41 AM
Answer

Artur Linhart

Recent Posts

Hello,
shortly -
1. the Liferay instance is a portal instance, which has its own data (like basic url, users, organizations, communities, ...). So, there is no sharing of users, communities, organizations, roles, etc. between the instances. Every portal instance has the default "guest" community, which receives all requersts not specific to any other website in the portal instance.

2. Website can have (has) any community, organization or user (all within the one portal instance). So, in every portal instance You can additionally to the default web given by the guest community define and use the websites for any other community, organization or user.

I hope this is understandable.

cheers, Archie
Ankit Pancholi
April 24, 2009 7:11 AM
Answer

Ankit Pancholi

Recent Posts

Hi Artur,

Thanks for the reply.

wanted to ask few question

1. Will every portal instance have the same code base i.e the same portlet funtionality.

2. Also whether it is possible to use different code base.
ie. i have a requirement where i want some customization made to a calendar portlet and i want to maintain the default implementation of calendar portlet . so is it possible to have both the implementation of portlet in different portal instance.

Regards,
Ankit Pancholi
Bob Dietrich
April 24, 2009 9:23 AM
Answer

Bob Dietrich

Recent Posts

Ankit Pancholi:

1. Will every portal instance have the same code base i.e the same portlet funtionality.

Yes, the same portlets are available to all instances, but you can customize which ones are available to each instance through the administrative interface. You must login to that instance to configure the availability and permissions for portlets that you want to restrict.
Ankit Pancholi:
2. Also whether it is possible to use different code base.
ie. i have a requirement where i want some customization made to a calendar portlet and i want to maintain the default implementation of calendar portlet . so is it possible to have both the implementation of portlet in different portal instance.

What you might do is create a clone of the calendar portlet with a different internal id (i.e., MY_CALENDAR instead of 42 or whatever calendar uses). You'll also probably want to give it a slightly different name. Although the new portlet would be available to all instances, you can use the administrative interface to select which instances can see this portlet.