Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
Kjetil Nygaard
Communities or user groups
February 9, 2009 1:16 AM
Answer

Kjetil Nygaard

Recent Posts

We are in the process of developing a new web-portal solution for our customers. We will authenticate and import customer-data from our CRM-database.

When we import users, we wish to assign them to groups based on what services and products they have. But we are unsure if we should use user groups or communities? The two terms seems very similar to us.

Is either one of them deprecated or considered to be deprecated?
Is either one of them faster than the other?
Is either one of them preferred?
Shivansh Sharma
RE: Communities or user groups
February 9, 2009 4:54 AM
Answer

Shivansh Sharma

Recent Posts

Hi Kjetil,
See both options are open, but the thing is to check the requirement are as follows :

Communities : A community is a grouping of user by them area of interest.

Groups : is a group of users, they may belong different organization, location, or groups as well.

As per your post, you need to categorized the users belonging product or services, so you need to opt Groups. In Groups you can also create hierarchy of Groups & Sub-Groups.
Jim Klo
February 18, 2009 3:15 PM
Answer

Jim Klo

Recent Posts

I'm curious, "How" do you create a hierarchy of Groups and Subgroups? I see no way, at least out of the box, to do this? Organizations have the ability to create a hierarchy, but an Organization has a Group, but itself is not a derivative of Group. Myself I'm trying to figure out the best way to build a 'group graph' as opposed to a hierarchy, and not really sure where the right place to start on that, whether I should extend Group, Community, or Organization, any opinion?

BTW, I'm using 5.1.1
Shivansh Sharma
February 22, 2009 11:10 PM
Answer

Shivansh Sharma

Recent Posts

Hello Jim,
Yes you are true, for existing liferay architecture doesn't support Sub-Grouping but using mugging up communities, groups, & roles the requirement can be achievable. Answer as follows

1http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/community/forums/-/message_boards/message/2276182

Regards,
Shivansh Sharma