Forums

Home » Liferay Portal » English » 2. Using Liferay » General

Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
What is use of Catrgoties option in web content in 5.2 version Shravan A February 3, 2009 10:17 PM
RE: What is use of Catrgoties option in web content in 5.2 version Lee Francis Wilhelmsen February 5, 2009 3:22 AM
RE: What is use of Catrgoties option in web content in 5.2 version Joshua Asbury February 5, 2009 6:42 AM
RE: What is use of Catrgoties option in web content in 5.2 version Lee Francis Wilhelmsen February 5, 2009 12:37 PM
RE: What is use of Catrgoties option in web content in 5.2 version Ray Augé February 5, 2009 1:45 PM
RE: What is use of Catrgoties option in web content in 5.2 version Joshua Asbury February 5, 2009 1:46 PM
RE: What is use of Catrgoties option in web content in 5.2 version Ray Augé February 5, 2009 5:15 PM
RE: What is use of Catrgoties option in web content in 5.2 version Lee Francis Wilhelmsen February 5, 2009 2:08 PM
RE: What is use of Catrgoties option in web content in 5.2 version Ray Augé February 5, 2009 5:17 PM
RE: What is use of Catrgoties option in web content in 5.2 version Joshua Asbury February 5, 2009 5:18 PM
RE: What is use of Catrgoties option in web content in 5.2 version Ray Augé February 5, 2009 6:14 PM
RE: What is use of Catrgoties option in web content in 5.2 version Shravan A February 5, 2009 8:44 PM
RE: What is use of Catrgoties option in web content in 5.2 version Lee Francis Wilhelmsen February 6, 2009 1:10 AM
RE: What is use of Catrgoties option in web content in 5.2 version Joshua Asbury February 7, 2009 8:55 AM
RE: What is use of Catrgoties option in web content in 5.2 version Hervé Ménage March 25, 2009 1:28 AM
RE: What is use of Catrgoties option in web content in 5.2 version Lucas Roberto Thomaz October 2, 2009 7:42 AM
RE: What is use of Catrgoties option in web content in 5.2 version Lucas Roberto Thomaz October 5, 2009 5:54 AM
RE: What is use of Catrgoties option in web content in 5.2 version Lisa Simpson October 5, 2009 11:41 AM
RE: What is use of Catrgoties option in web content in 5.2 version Jérémy Costanza October 20, 2009 3:25 AM
RE: What is use of Catrgoties option in web content in 5.2 version Lucas Roberto Thomaz October 21, 2009 3:40 AM
Shravan A
What is use of Catrgoties option in web content in 5.2 version
February 3, 2009 10:17 PM
Answer

Shravan A

Recent Posts

Hi,

1) have created categories in Tags and Categories.
2)Assigned categories to Web Content.
3)but i cant search articles by giving categories as input in Web Content Search.
4)I cant see Articles through Categories navigation portlet.

What is the use of Categories.

Also please explain Properties textboxes of categories.

Thanks in Advance
Shravan A
Lee Francis Wilhelmsen
RE: What is use of Catrgoties option in web content in 5.2 version
February 5, 2009 3:22 AM
Answer

Lee Francis Wilhelmsen

Recent Posts

Yes, good questions. I too was exited by the prospect of categories in 5.2, but after creating them and using them in a few sample articles, I see no obvious use for them.

Surly the idea behind categories is to enable the Asset Publisher portlet, Web Content List portlet and Web Content Display portlet to filter content based on category? What are we missing?

Regards
Lee Francis
Joshua Asbury
February 5, 2009 6:42 AM
Answer

Joshua Asbury

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Same here. I am messing around with the Categories Navigation portlet, but it's not doing anything other than showing my categories. Hmmm...

Did you see this Wiki article?
http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/community/wiki/-/wiki/Main/Taxonomies
Lee Francis Wilhelmsen
February 5, 2009 12:37 PM
Answer

Lee Francis Wilhelmsen

Recent Posts

Josh Asbury:

No - I hadn't seen that one, thanks. It explains a few things, but the fact remains that unless the web content family of portlets actually start to use the categories then it defeats the purpose of content authors bothering to add them.

This looks like it could be one of the best new features of 5.2 and the one content authors always ask me about when giving Liferay demos. Deprecation of the Type field and adding support for Categories is a must for CMS authors.

I'd like to see categories used for structuring articles internally in Liferay "admin" portlets (anywhere where uses have to pick an article from a list) and also for filtering of content for display (Web content display, Asset publisher etc).

Can they be used in VM templates?
Ray Augé
February 5, 2009 1:45 PM
Answer

Ray Augé

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

D'OH!!!

Can you say "oversight"?

It was never added to the index. So, it's not searchable as tags are.

Adding it now. Thanks for bringing this up!
Joshua Asbury
February 5, 2009 1:46 PM
Answer

Joshua Asbury

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

You have no idea how happy you just made me!!
Lee Francis Wilhelmsen
February 5, 2009 2:08 PM
Answer

Lee Francis Wilhelmsen

Recent Posts

Ray Augé:
It was never added to the index. So, it's not searchable as tags are.

So just what does that mean for us? Will we will be able to use categories from the Web Content portlets as expected. :-)
Ray Augé
February 5, 2009 5:15 PM
Answer

Ray Augé

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Committed to trunk.

See http://issues.liferay.com/browse/LPS-1953.
Ray Augé
February 5, 2009 5:17 PM
Answer

Ray Augé

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Once you've set a category on an article it will be found as a result of a search using that category.
Joshua Asbury
February 5, 2009 5:18 PM
Answer

Joshua Asbury

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Awesome. Thanks, Ray! Are these files OK to pull from trunk and apply to the latest branch?
Ray Augé
February 5, 2009 6:14 PM
Answer

Ray Augé

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Brian already backported it to 5.2.x. emoticon
Shravan A
February 5, 2009 8:44 PM
Answer

Shravan A

Recent Posts

Thanks Ray

When can we expect Liferay5.2.2
or it will be helpful if you provide a patch for it ( .diff file)

Similarly Schedular is not working for staging
Have a look into this link & please provide the solution

http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/community/forums/-/message_boards/message/2107721
Lee Francis Wilhelmsen
February 6, 2009 1:10 AM
Answer

Lee Francis Wilhelmsen

Recent Posts

Ray Augé:
Once you've set a category on an article it will be found as a result of a search using that category.

So what you are saying here is that categories are now part of the article search criteria and they weren't before? I am assuming we are talking about the Web Content Search portlet for extracting data using categories?

Maybe I'm don't see the full potential of the Web Content Search portlet, but is it possible to use this portlet as a filter to select articles from a single category and avoid selecting articles that just happen to include a category name as part of the article textual content (avoid full text search)?

Will categories ever deprecate the need for the Type flag? Maybe I'm missing the full picture, but I was assuming categories would be present in the Web Content portlet family in much the same way the Asset Publisher portlet uses tags as a possible selection criteria.

In my mind categories equal article structure, much in the same way a file system uses a directory tree.

Maybe I'm wrong?
Joshua Asbury
February 7, 2009 8:55 AM
Answer

Joshua Asbury

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

I've got to agree with Lee. I'm not seeing much of a use for the categories at this point. I can see that it is a WIP, but for now, I think that it is simply a cause of confusion for users.

Here's how I would like to see the categories implemented:
1. Have a customizable navigation portlet much in the same way that Wordpress allows (it looks like that's where things are headed...)
2. Make categories selectable through the Asset Publisher (I'm surprised that this isn't there. Was that an oversight?)

#2 would make the addition of categories make more sense, but for now, I just don't understand why they are there.
Hervé Ménage
March 25, 2009 1:28 AM
Answer

Hervé Ménage

Recent Posts

Hello,

Everyone is expecting a lot from tags and categories. I do either!

I found out:
- Categories and tags and considered as "tag" objects
- Not all assets support categorization. Journal content does, doc lib do not for example
- 2 public render parameters are defined in the Liferay portlet deployment descriptor: "tag" and "folksonomy". The first displays the current selected tag (monovalued), the second is a boolean (false when tag is a category, true when is it a tag)
- Asset publisher is supporting tags defined in 1/ the portlet configuration 2/in the browser URL 3/provided by the public render parameter
- Asset publisher does not combine tags when they are provided by the differents sources (portet, url or param)
- Asset publisher has an unused "categories" object (always empty)

I deployed "Category navigation", "Tag navigation" and "Asset publisher" in one page. I also deployed a small portlet that displays the 2 public render parameters.

By clicking a tag or a category in the navigation portlets, the asset publisher is updated accordingly, and my portlet displays the current selected tag. This works very well.

BUT:
- An asset MUST use the TAGS not categories, because asset publisher is searching assets on TAGS only, not on their category.

Conclusion:
- Categories can be used, but do ont provide less value than tag sets.
- I deleted all my vategories, and I am now using tag sets instead

What would be nice:
- Make a more extensive use of categories in the future to enable dynamic content generation (complete catagory support into asset publisher)
- Add tag/category support to portal pages (without using the /tags/cxxxx in their friendly name...)
- Align the announcement, the content display and the content list portlets to support these nice features

Best regards
Hervé
Lucas Roberto Thomaz
October 2, 2009 7:42 AM
Answer

Lucas Roberto Thomaz

Recent Posts

Hi,

Some new about that? I need to use category in my Liferay but don't work!

I need to filter a asset publisher by category, same way he work for tag.

Someone solved this problem?

Tanks in advance
Lucas Roberto Thomaz
October 5, 2009 5:54 AM
Answer

Lucas Roberto Thomaz

Recent Posts

Hello everybody,

I needed to use the browser portlet categories to filter through content in the asset publisher portlet.
The way it works for tags navegation is similar to the I wanted to work for my categories.
To solve my problem had to do a workaround classes of asset publisher and I found that the classes responsible for filtering were init.jsp and view_dynamic_by_category.jspf.
Did not have to change much, really just put some conditions and removed some features.
I was able to use this modification and it is working perfectly here on my system.
It lists only categories roots, not filtering through daughters.

I don't put the changes here becouse I don't think that is what people are in doubt, but if they want, let me know that I I put the code.

Let's wait for the new version of Liferay to see if we have a better implementation of this great feature who is the categorization.
Lisa Simpson
October 5, 2009 11:41 AM
Answer

Lisa Simpson

Recent Posts

You'll need to get the patch from the Issue Tracker and apply it, rebuild Liferay and off you go.
Jérémy Costanza
October 20, 2009 3:25 AM
Answer

Jérémy Costanza

Recent Posts

Lucas Roberto Thomaz:
Hello everybody,

I needed to use the browser portlet categories to filter through content in the asset publisher portlet.
The way it works for tags navegation is similar to the I wanted to work for my categories.
To solve my problem had to do a workaround classes of asset publisher and I found that the classes responsible for filtering were init.jsp and view_dynamic_by_category.jspf.
Did not have to change much, really just put some conditions and removed some features.
I was able to use this modification and it is working perfectly here on my system.
It lists only categories roots, not filtering through daughters.

I don't put the changes here becouse I don't think that is what people are in doubt, but if they want, let me know that I I put the code.

Let's wait for the new version of Liferay to see if we have a better implementation of this great feature who is the categorization.

Hi!

I'm realy interested about thes changes. I need to do exactly the same thing (filter asset publicher by categories). Can you tell more about this?
Lucas Roberto Thomaz
October 21, 2009 3:40 AM
Answer

Lucas Roberto Thomaz

Recent Posts

Unfortunately, my code is not working when we try to paginate the contents.
I will try to resolve this detail and put the code for you look.
If you want to go trying to find the solution in the classes discussed above.

Later,