toggle
Rui Bandarra
Connecting to MySQL db of Liferay
January 18, 2013 6:14 AM
Answer

Rui Bandarra

Recent Posts

Hi Everyone

I am new to liferay and portlet development and am having a hard time with somethings even though I have extended experience with Java/J2EE technologies. On top of that Im taking over code that isnt mine and the former company wont disclose ANY type of information. They delivered the SDK and thats it!!!

My problem is the following:

I have a VPN access to the liferay server that the former company has setup (Ubuntu).

Once connected to that server through putty i can run and connect to the mysql db with:
mysql -u username -p password

Now, I wanted to be able to browse the database from a mysql client GUI in windows. This means: from my local computer, not from the ubuntu server.
Using HeidiSQL I cant connect to that mysql database even if I am connected to the VPN.

What am I doing wrong here? What should I do to be able to connect to the MySQL DB of liferay from my localhost, from within the VPN..

Am I supposed to be connecting to that DB? I know from the code that that DB is being used so Im wondering how the previous company handled this situation and managed to browse the DB?

Thanks a lot!!

Rui
David H Nebinger
RE: Connecting to MySQL db of Liferay
January 18, 2013 6:19 AM
Answer

David H Nebinger

Community Moderator

Recent Posts

That's a mysql issue, not a Liferay issue.

In mysql, you can define that a login is only accepted from localhost, and that the login cannot be used from the outside.
Hitoshi Ozawa
RE: Connecting to MySQL db of Liferay
January 18, 2013 7:58 AM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

You probably have to open up a port that mysql uses for administration and data on you ubuntu.

You really don't any knowledge of liferay nor j2ee to solve your problem. Skill set you need
is ubuntu firewall setting, mysql administration.