toggle
Daniël Dekker
Ghostscript speedup
December 20, 2012 2:21 AM
Answer

Daniël Dekker

Recent Posts

Hello,

With my company i'm trying to optimize the rendering time for document preview in Liferay.
Since 10 powerpoints from various sizes ranging from a few kb's to 8 mb's take easily up to 20 minutes to render in total, and we are convinced that can be done faster.

After tracking the processes with htop, it came to my attention that the major bottleneck however is GhostScript, because its using a single thread, and there is ways of running it multithreaded by using the -bNumRenderingThreads flag.
What I have tried so far is:

- editing ImageMagick's delegate.xml
- Updated Ghostscript since it had to give a performance increase (hence the latest version).
- Look for ways to put it in Portal-ext.properties
- Opened up the Log-levels to intercept the thread, but it shows nothing in the logs.
- Try to intercept the thread itself via htop. only GS and OpenOffice were tracable.
- Took a glance in the sourcecode of Liferay.

All with no luckl... now my question is:

How and where can I edit the command that starts the GhostScript thread?

The setup as we are using it:
Liferay Portal Community Edition 6.1.0 CE (Paton / Build 6100 / January 6, 2012)
GhostScript 9.06
ImageMagick 6.7.8.10 (seems to be the version working for the portal, the latest version did not)
OpenOffice 3.1

Kind regards,
Daniel Dekker
NLcom ICT Solutions
Hitoshi Ozawa
RE: Ghostscript speedup
December 22, 2012 6:05 AM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

I just solved the performance problem by converting documents to pdf when they are being uploaded.