toggle
J B
Removed all assignments from Liferay - now can't perform admin tasks
December 15, 2012 8:25 PM
Answer

J B

Recent Posts

Hi everyone,
I've lost access to portal settings, because of user error. (I am the user that made the error. *shame* )

Where I was
I was in the Control Panel.
In the Sites section (down the left of the screen) I believe I was in the "Liferay" site.
In the Portal section I was working on user assignments, in the page that shows the big list of default users assigned to a portal.

What I did
Here's what I believe I did. (I'm not sure, because I was tired & confused.)
I was logged in with Owner / Administrator rights
With the big list of users displayed, I clicked in the uppermost checkbox, which unchecked all the users.
I clicked the button to update the assignments

The result
A cold feeling in my stomach
I can still access the Liferay site, but my dockbar has lost the options for "Add", "Manage", and "Edit controls".
I can still access my "Test" site, and I still have the usual options for "Add", "Manage", and "Edit controls". (I am administrator in that site too)
I have no way of accessing Portal Settings, or any other Portal options apart from "Sites". (I had a couple of other user accounts with Administrator rights, but I removed their assignments too.)

Questions
1. Is there any way of restoring the assignments / creating a new user with Administrator / Owner rights, assigned to the Liferay portal?
2. Is this a deliberate behaviour in Liferay, or is it something that should be addressed? It seems like a risk - perhaps Liferay could have a safeguard that would protect it from Administrators as stupid as me. :-)

Thanks in advance for any help / advice.
Hitoshi Ozawa
RE: Removed all assignments from Liferay - now can't perform admin tasks
December 16, 2012 1:54 PM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

The omni admin should still be able to login. If you haven't changed the default user/password, try logging in with user test.
J B
December 16, 2012 2:54 PM
Answer

J B

Recent Posts

Hi Hitoshi, thanks for the reply.

I tried that, but with the same result. Sign-in as Test, but still no options on the Dockbar (apart from being able to select sites or Control Panel).
And when I go to the control panel (signed in as test), the portal settings are still not available. Only the site-level settings are available.

I hope this is making sense? I would attach a screenshot, but I can't see how to do that.
J B
December 17, 2012 1:38 AM
Answer

J B

Recent Posts

Update...

I've been able to restore my Portal Administrator rights. So now that I have all the screens & options back, I can clarify what went wrong.
  • I was in the Control Panel, and from the options down the left I selected Portal > Roles
  • In the Administrator role I selected the option to "Assign Members".
  • On that page, the checkbox that I ticked was the one that unselected all the users on the screen (which included my own user account).
  • When I clicked on the "Update Associations" button, I removed all those users from the Portal Administrator role (including myself)

This seems like a risk, so I've posted in the Suggestions and Features forum - Safeguard - prevent an Administrator from removing their own admin rights